UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Unfortunately, I can’t give you anything definitive, but I can’t remember anyone posting it, or about it, in prior years. I remember plenty of various portal “glitches,” decision tabs disappearing for example, but no messages that I can recall.

2 Likes

I got a HAIL interview now after getting deferred in EA for the College of Engineering? Could that be a good sign?

1 Like

NMF is come in in Email or US post mail? Thanks.

The first par was the UM connection. Then she basically transitioned into a listing of accomplishments, without the flowing words or composition of a typical essay. Basically- heres what I’ve done!

I would absolutely mention NMF

1 Like

Email his AO at Michigan

1 Like

No, not currently :grinning:
But was wondering if we should expect to see it ahead of wave releases.

1 Like

Thank you!

No clue what that is but if something is going to happen this week within a day or so there are usually things that happen in the portals. I am sure everyone will be comparing notes, making up conspiracy theories :joy: and the like.

1 Like

They mailed it to the schools last Monday. My son was told by guidance Friday morning (he’d asked on Thursday and they didn’t have it). They mail to the homes I think today. There’s specific language on the website with the details.

He really wanted to submit his LOCI and include it, though as an above poster asked, since 15,000 of 16,000 get NMF, is it that important, if you’ve already told them you were NMSF? My son thought so, so he waited to submit the LOCI. But, does that hurt him if there’s a round of admittances in the next few days, like you are discussing? I’m not sure.

My son’s school have 50+ are in NMSF. School did not tell them yet in NMF or not as last Friday.
Some colleges will give more $ if you are in NFM. Student need to request to replace the current Merit level.

1 Like

15,000 to 16,000 is a very small number. NMF is quite an impressive achievement, and I tend to agree with your son. I would think that he would have same/similar shot at admittance in any round, and personally I like that your S wanted to wait to submit the best possible and most informative LOCI as he could.

1 Like

I would agree in UMich’s case.
We are using NMFfor other school instead of UMich’s case.

@dadofjerseygirl - you are missing one of the reasons why test scores have (at least in part) gone optional. Minorities statistically have lower standardized test scores than whites because of existing, hidden biases in the development and administration of standardized tests and interpretation of their scores. If an applicant has a strong score, he or she can submit it. Not submitting a score, however, is not about gaming any system.

3 Likes

NMF could be important for a test optional applicant. If someone already has a high SAT, don’t really think NMF or NMSF makes a difference.

1 Like

Sort of. Depends where, right? I suspect with @DadOfJerseyGirl and others in our part of the world, everybody has had an opportunity to test. If a white, prep student from my D’s school submits test optional, that should absolutely be part of the conversation. He or she tested, and chose not to show.

Additionally, while it SOUNDS nice to say it is due to the inherent biases in the tests, the overwhelming reason why things have remained test optional is financial. There’s not a close second. The schools simply make many millions more this way. The movement was for a select few schools to be test optional, with the focus on making the standardized test much more approachable to the greater majority of applicants. They would not have gone test optional had it not been for Covid, and the subsequent boon to their bottom line made going back to the old way impossible.

I would argue that not submitting a score this year, for many, is not necessarily about gaming the system but is very much about hiding the fact that one did not achieve as well as had hoped. I personally have not heard of one individual in our public or private schools that chose not to TAKE a test. I have heard of many who have chosen not to submit.

Now, whether UM takes that into account or not, I couldn’t be sure. But I’d be completely shocked if they looked at a student from a wealthy suburb of NYC and didn’t somehow factor score or no score into a decision. The student very well might show beautifully in other areas, more than enough to gain admittance. But unless it’s a school that doesn’t accept scores (like parts of Cornell, UC, etc.) I’d be surprised if it didn’t have SOME impact.

3 Likes

He was told by his counselor at school. The letters to the students should be coming sometime this week. I don’t think they send any emails.

1 Like

I agree that not submitting a score is risky because the inference is there, that the applicant is “hiding” something. But are we not at a turning point, whether it be an inherent bias in the test or not (as an aside, I don’t think it “SOUNDS nice to say it is due to the inherent biases in the tests”) – where schools recognize that plenty of students will not EVER shine on a standardized test? Much less a standardized math test - where some large percentage of students will never even take a college-level math class. Why would a political science major need to shine on a standardized math test?

That all said, my white daughter had early access to test prep and private tutors while attending a minority-majority public school with very little resources, especially during the pandemic. Most of her peers not only did not have access to test prep and private tutors, but they also had to maintain part time jobs all through high school, or live through the pandemic without familial support, or even access to wifi. So yeah, maybe they all took the tests, but it was not an even playing field. Seeing posts about going back to being test mandatory ignores all of the problems about these tests that were highlighted in a global pandemic, but which persist, pandemic or no pandemic.

5 Likes

Well said and well reasoned! “Even playing field” is not reached just because everyone gets the same test. More importantly, with the meteoric rise in applicants, these schools will never go back to mandatory tests. Yes, they have a bigger pile to look through…next to the bigger pile of money for application fees.

2 Likes

off topic from michigan but did anyone here apply to vanderbilt as well? i am also waiting on that one and i was curious to see if anyone had any news on it. still keeping my fingers crossed for michigan though!

2 Likes

Wow! 50+ NMFs from one school! There can’t be too many schools in the country that fall into that category. Contrast that with my kid’s school where exactly one was NMF. :rofl:

2 Likes