UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

The 84,000 app # has been mentioned at least once or twice by posters here, so I can believe that # for sure. But I’m used to the terminology that 2021-2022 is the current academic year. And 2022-2023 is next Fall’s class, or the S22’s and D22’s that post here.

I anticipated a class size reduction, but 6,682 is roughly the same as my D18’s class. So Michigan is going back to the 2018-2019 academic year in terms of enrollment #'s. That’s a much larger reduction than I thought.

I posted this link many pages ago, but Michigan had planned to have 7,200 freshman for the Fall of 2020, because of the pandemic. They purposely over-enrolled according to the article.

I read this earlier and was surprised by the drop since when we were talking about possible over enrollment last year, an article was referenced about Michigan increasing their class size and their long term goals. FWIW, many schools my son applied to have said they are targeting a smaller class size than last year and taking less students- UVA took 300+ less than last year. This is a very tough year for applicants all over the country to many schools and I feel for the students

3 Likes

Yes - the 84,000 appl number was in the letter my D received (she was also WL on Friday).

I believe Wesleyan only plans to enroll 700 or so this year, down from over 900 last year. A huge drop for such a small class.

You’re right @3ABCFdone - it’s a tough year for applicants everywhere. In addition to many schools lowering their enrollment for the freshmen class next fall, the current graduating seniors are also competing against many students who graduated the year before and took a gap year because of COVID. I was at an admitted students dinner with my son for another college tonight and two kids at are table had taken a gap year and were applying this cycle. Combine that with test-optional admissions and record applicants all over the country, and this admissions cycle is causing a lot of students to have to adjust their expectations about where they will be next fall.

5 Likes

I did not help her at all through this process, which now, I admit I blame myself in that perhaps she is missing something that I am not seeing (essay not great, etc). But, she will be able to thrive at the next level and use all of that independence. They will both do great because they have figured it out on their own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just went onto the live chat and they said that we should hear back by early April

Also someone called the admission office and apparently they didn’t make a decision for those who didn’t hear back

1 Like

I feel a lot like that too. DD22 will likely not get into some BBA programs because I didn’t push her on extracurriculars Covid year. Went into school a handful of times. No school based or even outside EC going ok besides online tutoring March 2020-June 2021. School does not have MUN or DECA.

On the other hand, they will all turn out fine! Have to keep saying that.

2 Likes

Ughhh

Don’t blame yourself. Our kid continued activities and was in school most of the year. Still got kicked in the teeth with some of the results. Really surprising. This year has been tough for very high stats kids.

5 Likes

I’ve kept up pretty well on this thread and only remember one other admitted to Kinesiology back when EA results came out. Lots of WL.

1 Like

Our '22 decided not to attend UM last night. It’s coming down to the wire and there are less options than we ever thought there would be. Not thinking that Ivy day is going to be fruitful given that every Ivy stats kid has already been rejected from safeties, fits and reaches in huge numbers. Our kid applied to almost 20 schools.

UM is a great school but came off for a number of reasons, one big one is cost for OOS vs. other highly ranked private schools. Most privates threw in a small amount of $$, makes a difference over 4 years and multiple kids. We also aren’t fans of how they handled EA. Very little communication v. some other schools which send frequent updates. Some schools are really showing the love. UM seems to think they are all that. Which is fine, but we’re not that into you. LOL. My kid was initially attracted to the strength at UM across all programs since they are undecided. But there are other schools which have similar strengths in multiple areas. And there are big schools that communicate the love.

Good luck to everyone in the new few weeks. I wish everyone the best.

15 Likes

They planned to have 7200 that fall, but it turned out that it was only 6879 (according to the CDS). Its curious that the article (written in May of 2020) said that “they were prepared” to have 7182 freshman and, then in the fall, they actually only had 6879. I guess that means 303 kids who had placed a deposit decided not to attend afterall?

Their yield in 2020 was low compared to previous years. “Only” 41% (of the 16,974 offers) accepted their offer that year compared to 45-46% the previous 2 years (when they only offered 14,800-14,900 spots). So, perhaps they thought that their yield was going to go down in 2021 and made offers accordingly (to 16,071). If they had anticipated a 43% yield, those 16,071 offers would have generated ~6900 freshman. But, because it returned to 45%, they overenrolled.

I’ll be curious to see how many spots they offered with the hopes of enrolling ~6700 students. Just a guess, but I assume they think that 2020 was the anomoly and that their yield will be the same as the other recent years (45%) and made 14,900 offers (about the same as 2018 & 2019). A 45% yield would generate that ~6700 students. Or, maybe I’m wrong and they expect yield to be lower and they made more offers. Time will tell.

2 Likes

My DD22 sounds like a twin of yours, with similar results. She is happy and relieved about Michigan, and the truth is they couldn’t have worked any less hard and still gotten in. Are you seeing all the high stat kids rejected and WLed? She has a good friend who is a 1580 legacy, didn’t get in. It’s awful this year!

1 Like

There is also a summer start option that is not the Bridge program, right? I know a couple of people from our area were waitlisted and then invited to start in the summer, but they were not from an under resourced school (quite the contrary) or background. Do you have any more information on that track? I’ve been unable to unearth any information regarding duration or start date.

I’m not aware of another “Summer start” option, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.

I know that in the School of Kinesiology, there’s one or two “Winter start” programs (e.g., SMI or Sports Management Immersion) that WL’ed applicants are eligible for.

Michigan obviously has multiple schools, so it’s certainly possible.

1 Like

I’ll jump in to this question and say that I’ve heard of them offering a summer start option, and in fact I know they used to do this when I was a student there (a long time ago…). It was my understanding that they offered it to people whose stats were on the lower end of the spectrum but I could be wrong about that too…

When do they send out the financial aid package after acceptance?

Here is what someone said in the other discussion in cc:

“Update !!! I spoke to U-M undergrad admissions office. They actually have a call center and they tell you the status of your application. You give them your Michigan IID or name and DOB and they tel you if the decision was made and maybe there was an issue with the portal or your account OR aid it’s still under review.

My sons application is still under review . They don’t give any specific reason just that they do a rigorous review. She also said soon it should be out. I think this Friday April Fools day at 3pm.

So call . They open at 8 am. Good luc”

2 Likes

I think I asked you this already, but does your kiddo’s app have the “switch app” icon on it?