UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Actually I was thinking about it today and I realized that someone on Reddit got accepted into the bridge scholar program for the summer so now I’m not sure if the last wave is for summer starts since they already sent those acceptances it seems.

Thought I’d share some numbers from this link that might be of interest.

84000+ applications and a smaller class size than last year.

2 Likes

Hmm, oh well, there goes that theory…although the bridge scholar program is different from what you applied to - you applied for a summer term start, which isn’t the bridge scholar program. It means you would simply start your classes during summer term…

2 Likes

Hmm so maybe instead of bridge scholars, then they want the last batch to attend just the summer term?

They better tell us tomorrow!

I’ll ask my guidance counselor to also contact UMich too

1 Like

Wow. I’m much more interested now to go there! When we initially inquired, it seemed difficult to do a dual degree in music and something else. Double major yes, but music performance (BM)and a BA or BS looked difficult as those usually take five years. The dual degree program at UMich is five years. His music scholarship from Furman stipulates he has to be in an ensemble and lessons each semester but doesn’t have to major in music, but getting a performance degree alongside something else has always been his desire.
Furman is by far the prettiest campus I’ve ever seen! I was a little worried about the popularity of Greek culture on campus snd wasn’t sure my non-drinker, quiet son would find his people if he wasn’t in a fraternity…I’m sure we’ll get a better feel for it next week!

Do you have the final list of kines applicants? We were accepted. Would love to chat with a few others in similar positions.

I have no idea about the summer term, but I’m still clinging to that theory (and tomorrow would be great if they told us, but I doubt it…Friday more likely!)

1 Like

A bit of a delay in posting here as we were traveling when the news came out.

Decision: Waitlisted
Application Type: EA Postponed
School: L&S/Ross
Stats: 4.0 uw, 5.4w, 33 ACT, 12 AP classes
Legacy: N
ECs: Varsity sport captain, Peer Tutor for disabled students, part-time after school job, several leadership positions at YMCA residential camp
LOCI: sent it stating U-M first choice and would attend if accepted

Has accepted spot on waitlist but we are not holding our breath. Picking a new option.

2 Likes

Oops, I think I must’ve accidentally confused the idea of a dual degree with a double major - apologies! I know that takes five years here at UMich and if that’s the norm for a BM + BA/BS, then I’m sure it would be the same at FU. I’m sorry for my mistake. I knew people who double-majored in music and something else and finished in 4 years, but they were not performance majors. It’s excellent that his music scholarship allows him the freedom to do music without majoring in (unless he wants to). As a non-music major, I was in Furman Singers and also took voice, piano, and guitar lessons, and all of it was such an enriching and grounding experience in the midst of my academic pursuits.

The Greek issue has been a concern for me on behalf of my son as well. One thing we learned on Friday is that there are way more sorority participants than fraternity (like twice as many - this fall, 19% of the guys were in fraternities and 41% of women were in sororities). Even though the Greek presence seems outsize for a population the size of Furman’s, there are so many other ways of socializing and making friends there, and connections seem to slide loosely and easily without being too clique-y.

I hope your son has a great experience at the event!

Just an FYI. According to the link that’s for 2021-2022, not this cycle.

Also, there’s an inconsistency with the CDS, which has 79,743 for # of apps in 2021-2022.

Me? Nah, I’m just a schmo.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the 2021-2022 cycle?

It’s the 2022-2023 cycle. Applicants or enrollees will be entering college for the academic school year of 2022-2023.

2021-2022 was my D21’s admission cycle.

1 Like

The letter states:

In 2021-2022, we received applications for over 84,000 unique applicants, for the enrolling first-year class of about 6,682 students.

So I read this sentence as meaning, in 2021-2022 we received 84,000 applications. I don’t read that as for the 2021-2022 cycle. ???

Not that it really matters! But I thought they were referencing how many applications they got this cycle and only intend to enroll a first year class of “about 6,682 students”.

I don’t read it that way, but maybe someone made an error and meant 2022-2023? I could always be wrong. But the terminology is definitely, at a minimum, ambigious, at least to me.

Also, the 2021-2022 CDS states the Michigan enrolled 7,290 freshman students. So, if Michigan is planning to enroll only 6,682 freshman for this cycle, then HOLY COW!, that’s huge drop of 608 freshman between this cycle and last.

Maybe that’s why this year seems so unprecedented.

1 Like

That’s how I read it - that they are enrolling over 600 less students, so likely admitting 1,200 less students (give or take). So with increased applications and decreased admissions based on the smaller class size, the acceptance rate significantly went down.

I also understood Michigan reducing the class size due to over-enrollment last year. I have been seeing the same thing at other schools my daughter applied to, ie, Wesleyan, which stated right on its website that they over enrolled last year so will be accepting and enrolling less students for fall 2022.

And my numbers assumed a 50% yield, which is much too generous.

Enrollment for last few years…

2017-2018 - 6847
2018-2019 - 6695
2019-2020 - 6830
2020-2021 - 6879
2021-2022 - 7290

The outlier on this is most definitely 2021-2022. I wouldn’t be surprised at all that the goal for this year was ~6700.

2 Likes

Long ago, you had been tracking how many kines folks were in this thread as it was more than normal….no worries, just was not sure if you had kept it up.