UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Same for my daughter. It’s her dream school. But we aren’t optimistic based on historical waitlist data. But oh how I wish she would get an offer.

1 Like

Not great.

Applicants who were admitted from the waitlist:

• Fall 2018: 7%, or 434 applicants
  • Fall 2019: 2%, or 106 applicants
  • Fall 2020: 13%, or 1,289 applicants
  • Fall 2021: 0.5%, or 69 applicants

Ever watch “animal house”? Some watch and are mortified. I suppose that I (not that this college process is about me) is that, as nerdy people, my spouse and I are secretly thrilled animal house frats can still exist today.

For all those weekends or Thursday nights when we want to party. Not that either of us are frat types.

1 Like

Hang on. I think DD22 headed towards turning down offer.

All three are great schools. If UF is actually paying you to attend it would seem to be a no brainer to go to Gainesville. Always try to avoid student loan debt if possible. Never know if you’re going to need money for grad school. Now if money is not an issue, pick the best fit for you. Regardless, you’re in a great situation.

1 Like

Anyone here have a student who has been recipient of merit or specifically LSA scholarships ? Or anyone know when those scholarships are released ? Thank you.

Yes I received a four year renewable LSA scholarship on 3/18

3 Likes

I am a little but more optimistic (just a little) reading about so many kids on here declining their offers What’s her major? Hoping she found a school she is excited about!

1 Like

Congratulations !!! That is wonderful !!

It would be declining an LSA offer.

1 Like

Okay well that’s what my daughter is waitlisted for. :pray:t3::pray:t3:

My daughter is also waitlisted at LSA - Psychology major

1 Like

Congratulations!!! :tada: Do you know the name of the scholarship by any chance? If not in the letter, should say on your financial aid info. A lot of us are trying to determine what’s been awarded so far vs not, lol. Thanks!

Nothing from LSA yet, a small merit and a generous four year renewable scholarship from OFA…

2 Likes

The key is their expected yield vs. actual yield.

In 2020, their yield (41%) was much lower than they expected* (45%) so they let a lot of kids off of the waitlist in order to get (closer to) the class size they were looking for. In 2021, the yield (45%) was much higher than they expected** (43%) so they let virtually no one off the list.

As it’s unlikely that their yield will be over 45-46%, the best hope for the people on the waitlist (including my S22) is that they made offers expecting the yield to be at that level and that it turns out to be lower. If they are expecting a lower yield (i.e. 42-43%), then I’m guessing that they’ll either hit that number or they’ll exceed it and waitlist admits will be very low. Based on the numbers they shared about the last 4 years, I’m extrapolating that every 1% below their expectation means about 300 kids admitted from the waitlist.

*Michigan stated that they wanted to admit 7200 freshmen in 2020, so the “expected” number for that year was based on how many offers they made.

**This is more of a guess becuase I didn’t see that they announced an intended class size for that year so I’m assuming they were just looking to admit the “normal” size of the freshman class.

P.S. Not to be a downer, but given that their yield is, say 40-45%, that (obviously) means that more people will reject their offers of admission than those who accept them.

2 Likes

I am a parent of a current student who is in greek life. My student and I both very strongly disagree with this opinion both with respect to the dorms and greek life. I think if you find a current student agreeing with your “unsafe” comment, there will be another 999 who very strongly disagree.

Good luck to your twins and enjoy the summer.

12 Likes

According to the 2021-2022 CDS:

Percent of women who join sororities: 16%
Percent of men who join fraternities: 7%

A CDS from pre-pandemic (2019-2020):

Percent of women who join sororities: 19%
Percent of men who join fraternities: 9%

So, the vast majority of students do not join Greek life.

3 Likes

I an really curious about these reasons. It sounds like Michigan wasn’t a good fit for your kids and they absolutely are entitled to any reason for the choice, but I am interested in the basis for the unsafe Greek and dorm cultures, in particular.

Michigan isn’t a university where students need to be involved in Greek life to have an active social life. But even if they do, is Michigan’s Greek life more dangerous than elsewhere? I have never seen statistics to support that and my daughter’s own experiences have been quite the opposite.

2 Likes

I do remember recently reading this article about USC’s Greek life:

1 Like

Yes I totally get that. We are moving on with other options. But would drop those schools in a heartbeat if she got off that waitlist.