UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

As are we. I’m just a numbers person and intrigued by the yo-yoing nature of Michigan’s yield and how they reacted to it this year (and, in turn, how it impacts all of us).

1 Like

Thanks for the update. It’s crazy my son has heard kids with lower gpa and scores getting and the ones with higher gpa etc waiting list. He said everyone is confused. No rhyme or reason.

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting

6 Likes

Thanks for letting me know we felt like we were alone. I don’t understand why they held some of the kids back. They really sent the majority already. At least that what my sons says everyone he knows at his school heard .

Seeing this at a lot of schools this year. Not just U-M.

(adding disclaimer that I know GPA and test scores don’t paint the whole picture but merely making an observation comparing this year to prior years. I greatly respect and admire all those who were accepted so not diminishing their accomplishment in any way)

6 Likes

Appreciate the insight and data!

Agree . Just trying to wrap my head around the small amount of us left. I mean does it make sense that they are going to just be rejections . If so why make so few wait. Or are they trying to gage who accepts and who doesn’t . Then see what’s what.

There seems to be many theories. So it’s just the more time you have to wonder the craziness begins

It’s crazy. I’m sorry they are making you wait even longer. It just feels like they don’t have their act together.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t see it as yo-yoing.

Page 12 Graph 2.2.2 shows that the overall yield curve has essentially hovered between 40-45% for the decade of 2010-2020. For the 2015-2020 period, the overall yield has been near or at 45% with the pandemic year drop to 41%, which a lot of schools experienced because of gap years and applicants making the choice to stay closer to home. That’s an explainable anomaly.

https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/almanac/Almanac_Ch2_Mar2021.pdf

I’ll bet yield gets above 45% this cycle with drop in enrollment back to 2018-2019 #'s and what appears to be that HUGE # of WL’ing in this cycle, with the standard disclaimer that CC is a limited sample size.

3 Likes

In your opinion, do you think this means there will be no waitlist movement at all (as there is a higher yield?)

why are we still waiting? it makes no sense!

did someone tell you that? any insight as to why we are still waiting?

I remember that as well in mid-80’s. Some kids were told to start in the summer and take regular classes (it wasn’t a program).

Again I’m speculating on a very small sample size, and I’m no AO-savant, but two things can equally be true.

I think Michigan accepted less applicants in total (maybe more in EA), waitlisted a similar amount to prior years, but earlier than usual, and then will admit more as a % from the waitlist than prior years. All in an effort to get yield above 45%.

Again, just a guess, but they’re attempting to flush out the Ivy and near-Ivy acceptances and subsequent withdrawals as well as those applicants that have just moved on (and withdrawn) in their existing choices.

4 Likes

I was really just referring to the 45.9% in 19-20, down to 40.5% in 20-21 and back up to 45.4% in 21-22.

I just get the sense that Michigan didn’t think it was going drop as low as it did in 20-21 which is why they were short of their stated goal of 7200 students and had to admit so many kids from the wait list to even get to where they ended up. Likewise, I’m guessing they didn’t think it would bounce all the way back to 45.4% last year which is why they ended up with their largest incoming class ever (and let in so few kids off of the WL).

If the accepted candidates who are no longer interested in UMich do not withdraw their applications, the WL line will never move and we may end up waiting post May 1. How will UMich know at this moment who is coming and who isn’t??

Playing the devil’s advocate, for the 2020-2021 (pandemic year), Michigan had 9,856 who accepted their place on the WL. They admited 1,248 (13%) from the WL, very large for # for them. But if they really wanted to fulfil their stated class size goal of 7,200 enrolled, then why not admit a couple or few hundred more. I don’t know the answer, but it’s kinda interesting.

The pandemic truly hit in March of 2020, so I have no idea how any school could have reacted to the closure of most of society. I’m sure the Admissions Office was probably sent home and the university was likely more focused on moving everyone out of their student housing and figuring out what to do with classes. And Michigan was skewered for the poor job that they did do.

So, for me at least a drop from 45% to 41% and back up to 45% in that short one or two cycle time frame is actually admirable in terms of planning and getting it right or close to right.

1 Like

I’m sure many have both submitted their deposits and many have also withdrawn. And then 3/31 Ivy Day drops.

Glad to hear that, thanks much for your response!

I believe most colleges only start looking at the waitlist post-May 1 after the deposit deadline. I’ve heard of extremely few WL admits prior to that (and none I’ve personally heard of at U-M).

1 Like

I believe I read on past CC Michigan posts that they’ve actually gone to the waitlist prior to May 1st some years.