UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

They can predict by what is coming in before May 1. They went to the w/l before May 1 in 2020 when they were getting early indications that yield would be low.

2 Likes

That’s helpful info @Carina_M and @CCName1. As I said I didn’t personally know of this but good to know it has happened!
Was this just in 2020 (when it would have been easier to predict low yield early) or in other years as well?

Yes exactly
(I think we could have lived next door to each other if you were in Couzens (based on your CC name – I was in Alice Lloyd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is from a post from @sushiritto on the 2025 waitlist group

Class of 2024: Thursday, 4/23/2020 (Covid)
Class of 2023: Saturday, 6/08/2019
Class of 2022: Thursday, 5/24/2018
Class of 2021: Wednesday, 5/24/2017
Class of 2020: Tuesday, 5/22/2016

2 Likes

Thank you!

So yes, it looks like 2020 was the exception

1 Like

Realize that (let’s say projected yield 45%) more than 55% of the kids holding acceptances need to withdraw before them even looking at the waitlist, generally speaking. All applications about to be withdrawn in the next month are already “baked into” the acceptance rate.

1 Like

As per my daughter, she knows many kids who are picking WestPoint, NYU and other schools over U-M and still refuse to withdraw.

Well they will eventually
 on May 1 they all expire, then U-M checks their desired yield/class size/demo and start the waitlist. Don’t fret about who still has apps in now, it doesn’t factor into waitlist movement.

1 Like

This year indeed is odd. We are in state, not top high school. UM is first choice if admitted, yield is not an issue here. In the past, quite some kids accepted during big wave. This year, not aware of any. DS’s friends all WL last Friday. Glad my son made it during EA. I would be worried if not. Best luck to all who are still waiting. UM is amazing school. My S18 loves it a lot.

2017 was a untypical year on campus and my son’s first year in West Quad.

Within the first week there was an incident of some white kids leaving a note or writing on an African Americans door so not so nice words. It was 2 friends of a Michigan student. They were found and arrested and after investigating the student was expelled. This was the proper action taken.

There was some writing on the “rock” against Hispanic people and the rock was repainted over and for both the school had lectures and learning opportunities and counseling available. Other measures I can’t remember and the president addressed these head on with notes to students and parents and what is and not tolerated.

Also there was seroius allegations against a frat house that was having issues nationally also. The entire Greek system was shut down to investigate.

Richard Spensor came to speak after the school fighting it. The school sent out again letters to students and parents addressing these issues head on. They actually planned other events for the students to drive them away from the Spensor talks. It was hugely a success what Michigan did. (there’s more but you get the idea).

Each time something was faced with quick and serious action. Not sure what else happened but it’s a major university. Never heard of issues from my son or his friends and they were in all different dorms.

These are the ones I remember

1 Like

They don’t and why there is a May 1st deadline. Then they can reassess what they need to complete the class.

You will hear something after April 1st for sure.

Yes, another strange year

does anyone know where i would be able to find data on how many students from central florida matriculate to umich each year?

I searched for data by source school and found how many kids were admitted/enrolled from our high school.

1 Like

kind of somewhere in the middle - money is not a large issue, but enough of one where it would make no sense to pay full price for michigan no matter how much i want it if i have significantly better offers from universities of similar or better caliber - while chances are low of course, a lot could potentially change for me on thursday (ivy day) though so waiting until after all decisions are back to figure out what my next steps are. visiting GT on monday so i think i will have a lot more clarity on my situation after that because the pros and cons of UF and GT are so so different

1 Like

Merit aid appeared on son’s UM portal last night. Surprisingly, it’s quite generous if I’m reading it correctly. This might be a game changer as we are OOS and were not expecting much! This whole college process is kind of crazy because nothing is ever how it initially seems

8 Likes

Congrats

Congratulations to your son!! I hope the wait ends with a positive outcome for all of us.

1 Like

Congratulations!. We are also OOS and the cost is going to be the main factor. No updates yet on my D22’s portal. If we don’t get any, we have to drop UMich from our list.

1 Like

Someone in admissions (but not an officer) told me that last year, the entire university was significantly over enrolled. She said that they went with a more conservative approach to admissions decisions this year and put more people on the waitlist. She also said that they could take people off the waitlist before May 2nd. So if you or your student has decided to enroll at another university, would greatly appreciate if you could decline the admissions offer if there is a way to do so. A glimmer of hope still remains.

8 Likes