UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I second that. Due to all of my waitlists, I only accepted it at places in which I would actually enroll if I was accepted off of the waitlist. If you or anyone you know would definitely not attend Mich if admitted off of the waitlist, I would really appreciate it if declined. Obviously everyone has the choice to choose whether to join the waitlist and nobody should tell them how to live their life. I just mean students 100% not interested in Mich anymore.

Sincerely, a senior that, as of now, will be attending her 9th choice college :pensive:

11 Likes

I am sorry to hear that you were waitlisted at so many colleges. You are not alone. I think there will be movement this year. Keep the faith. (And I was asking people who had offers of admissions to decline if they know that UM is not for them). Wishing you the best!

3 Likes

Yes, we are in state and it’s been really odd at our HS as well.

In a normal year, about 1/2 of our acceptances are during EA and the rest trickle in during Feb/Mar/April. It’s been so consistent over the years that kids who will “probably” get accepted are cautioned not to panic if they get deferred because UofM does it so frequently to EA applicants they later accept.

This year, however, we had a surprising number of EA acceptances issued on 1/28 and one postponed EA applicant that got accepted on 2/25. And, as far as I know, that’s it for our school. D22 has only heard of rejections being issued on 3/25 - which is, quite frankly, shocking.

There were a couple of really high performing kids with terrific EC’s and engagement who were postponed and I absolutely figured they would just get accepted later. But I was obviously wrong on that account.

1 Like

This weekend, DD22 will most likely withdraw from Michigan.

One more visit to an admitted day on xyz campus.

Everyone is hoping one waitlist moves for them.

DD22 will commit, but really also hoping georgetown waitlist moves.

5 Likes

This is a strange year everywhere not just Michigan. All my friends on East and West coast said this year has been brutal for everyone. Hang in there. I feel for all of you. But I am still a believer it’s about what you do on campus for most fields not where you go to.

7 Likes

There has been a strong in-state presense on this thread, much moreso than previous years IMO. And I realize that CC is always a very small sample size, but it just seems to me that the in-state applicants had more bad outcomes than in prior years.

I’ll be curious to see what the in-state acceptance rate is ths cycle. I know its been as low as 40-41% in 2018 and then increased a bit in subsequent years since.

4 Likes

I agree about a strange year. The waitlists everywhere are unbelievable. I have also given up trying to make sense of decisions at all schools. I am sure there are algorithms and such but it seems like all the admissions directors went to the same conference in October and said we are going to mix things up this year

5 Likes

All I can hope for is that they ALL admitted the same kids over and over again, so we have a few kids with all the offers. They can ONLY go to one college, so waitlist have to move.

9 Likes

Can’t agree more!

agree 100%

We used to be able to advise/help with some certainty. This trend actually started like 5 years ago or at least that is when I started noticing it. A good friend that is a college counselor at The Lab school in Chicago (very well connected private school with parents that are University of Chicago professors). Tuition is like $55,000 /year These kids tend to apply and just get accepted like anywhere. They were getting their second or third choices not mainly their first. That was highly unusual.

Now kids are just glad to get accepted anywhere. So advice to future applicants is… You better love the schools that are on your lists…

9 Likes

Also… Ivy day is tomorrow right?

At my son’s school it is known as "Which schools did you get rejected from today":children_crossing::school::rofl:

But hopefully it gives many of you some clarity on where your kids will be going to school. But they are all basically reaches for everyone so take it in stride. Good day for ice cream also. Goes good with acceptances, wait list or denials… :shaved_ice::ice_cream::wink:

8 Likes

Lol, D22 said last night she’s ready for rejection day, lol! We are waiting on one tomorrow and one I believe is 4/2. FORTUNATELY she is perfectly okay with not getting into either as she realizes how blessed she is to have UMich acceptance and honestly, I think this is where her heart is anyways, so we’re luckily in a good position…just wish all these hard working “kids” and parents were as well…but I also believe what’s meant to be, will and they will succeed regardless the obstacles. :raised_hands:t2:

8 Likes

I’ll add to that, simply to say that what you do on campus yields the first opportunity post-college. In the longer run, work product is going to determine success and happiness, by millions % more than the college attached. Too many people chase prestige in college, not enough chase fit. There are multiples colleges that fit every applicant, of all levels of “ranking”. Finding that fit is more important than leaping the rankings.

10 Likes

excellent point

Unfortunately, there are not many schools in the country where a student can learn to build boats, but one can at U of M! I joked to my S22 that he could participate in the concrete boat building race at the engineering school where he’s likely to end up if marine engineering school doesn’t pan out anywhere, but that wasn’t much consolation. :wink: But I do believe that if that is really his passion, he’ll work hard freshman year and transfer. And if not, he’ll end up happy wherever he chooses at the end of the process as he really liked all 6 schools he applied to.

1 Like

Amen! :innocent:

Thank you so much :blush:

So funny you said this. Every school my son looked at for engineering pushed their concrete canoe competition… Lol… He’s not into Civil Engineering so not his thing…

My S was deferred then waitlisted, he wrote a LOCI after he was deferred. Now that he is waitlisted, does it make sense for him to write another LOCI with no new information other than his enduring love for UMich?

2 Likes