UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I say this all the time on here. Get involved on campus. It really matters to companies for internships/job opportunities what you did. I told both my kids leave the school with something you did to better itself. Both did!

1 Like

I guess it canā€™t hurt, butā€¦
Iā€™ve heard a couple of people ā€œin the knowā€ say that most LOCIs donā€™t make much difference to U-M. That is, they donā€™t typically move the needle one way or the other.

Essentially, they donā€™t care to hear why you want them. They know theyā€™re good and that top applicants seek them out. Instead theyā€™re focused on who they want (i.e. their institutional priorities). So if you have something meaningful to add that significantly improves your candidacy like a national level award then it may help to write a LOCI. If youā€™re just going to say how awesome they are and how youā€™ve always dreamed of becoming a Wolverine - thatā€™s not really going to make a difference.

Again, just what Iā€™ve heard but others here with more experience may be able to opine

2 Likes

We asked our AO. He said please do not send one.

1 Like

thanks!

excellent point.

Sorry if this was answered in the 8k aboveā€¦.if my DS is admitted to Ross on April 15, will there be another admit day for business he could attend? If anyone has gone to one, how was it?

After your son was accepted in April, were there days dedicated for Ross students to visit the campus? We are out of state and trying to figure out if there is a chance for another opportunity to visit with other admitted students?

https://admissions.umich.edu/campus-day-2022?fbclid=IwAR2ZtVOTMyP1YStYrBKht2jD65phIRG_zSvtFAIvPTF9mbDMPJL1db9nFhA

2 Likes

This was published today.

https://record.umich.edu/articles/first-year-applications-up-for-first-gen-underrepresented-students/

2 Likes

I donā€™t know all the dates, but initially we were going to go on 4/18ā€¦ so that is definitely a Ross day. (We wound up going earlier this month instead) Others have said that all the Campus Days are full - but maybe you can get on a Wait List or something? I always find Admitted Student Days valuable. And since UMich was so locked down with Covid protocols for the past 2 years, this was our first chance to get inside buildings and see amenities.

1 Like

My friend whose son was admitted to LSA said Michigan has already announced that Freshman Orientation will be virtual??

If that is the case then Michigan should really open up more admitted student days.

I know itā€™s not perfect but there are online admitted day lectures and information. I would call and ask again since it there is demand (yes, I know the demand is there) maybe they would open another few days. The events are OK in my mind. Nothing hugely different then visiting the college and doing the college tour. Except you pay for a lunch to be with other parents that justify how great X school is. Your kid gets some stuff to take home.

We stopped doing the official college tours since likeā€¦ They were all the same rah, rah. We did listen to their speeches then we walked around campus on our own. I didnā€™t need someone to tell me the chemistry lab is great or how great their 3D printers are honestly. Michigan has some of the best facilities in the country. Itā€™s a top tier research University. If I didnā€™t already know this and was accepted then shame on me. Is nicer dorms elsewhere really going to make me go to X college over Michigan?

Itā€™s not ideal since you do miss some of the excitement but if your able to spend a few days in Ann Arbor. Contact some student groups on Facebook and just see if you can find a student to show you their dorm or inside some buildings. I know that this has worked before. Admissions might actually be able to help. Some of the religious groups like Hillel etc might be able to help. Do some diggingā€¦

Go to the Arb. No tour is going to take you there. Many of us can come up with places like Kerry Town to check out. To some peopleā€™s disbelief, Ann Arbor on some days can look barren and on others the typical college town. But no tour will take you to the students places to go at night for a pizza slice to see the real part of what you might do on campus. Walk around at night and see how safe you feel with others students walking around. No tour will do this for you.

5 Likes

My son is in same situation

Yes, Iā€™m disappointed in that. I believe they are calling it ā€œhybridā€ - virtual session in the summer & for selecting classes and then 1-2 days right before school starts on campus. I feel like they should either add more Campus Days OR hold in-person Orientation this summer.

1 Like

Hi! Where exactly in your portal did it show up? Enrollment connect?

Yeah. I keep stalking the orientation page and it says hybrid with more information coming soon.

D20 had online orientation at her state school and it was actually handled pretty well, but she had campus tours in the spring, summer & fall of 2019 when everything was normal, so I feel like she really got a much better feel for campuses than D22.

D22 has visited UofM twice for official tours (south and engineering) and still has not seen the inside of a classroom, a lecture hall, a dorm room or a cafeteria. I understand that dorm room and cafeteria tours can be kind of misleading on large campuses because they only show you the ā€œbestā€ ones ā€¦ but it would still be nice to see one!

1 Like

I can confirm that they are all nice and typical college fare :sweat_smile:. I know that doesnā€™t help but the amenities at Michigan are nice. Maybe not WashU country club nice, but they are great for a big ten school and some of the nicest we have seen.

There are also lots of videos on dorm rooms etc on you tube etc. Again, I realize it doesnā€™t help but gives you a clue.

Orientation is hybrid on campus and online

I had no idea schools were doing this online or hybrid orientation thing until we decided on Michigan State. We have an in-person admitted student tour on Monday, and in-person Engineering tour right after, and thereā€™s an incoming Freshman day in mid-april. But when I looked up the Orientation dates, I was suprised. Itā€™s some kind of summer-long online program where you incrementally meet with different people, in zoom break-off rooms, activities (???) all until school starts.

I donā€™t know if this is just our state or what, but I just closed the webpage because my head was spinning. We have enough on our plate to plan for now. Good grief!

Okā€¦ waitlisted but that is ridiculous. Seriously? Virtual orientation?