UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Corrected. It’s May 5th but you will be sent information after April 6th if you commit prior. . My son sent his right before the deadline and was given West Quad on Central. But lots and lots of students there were from OOS. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

https://housing.umich.edu/first-year-application-instructions/

I’m thinking that even if my daughter gets off the waitlist post May 1, will she find a place to live? Can someone please advise on how housing works. :pray:

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there are any virtual Campus Day events for those that can’t attend in-person?

They take all of this into consideration. She will have a place to live. Many have gotten off the wait lists and they all had housing.

1 Like

Thanks for giving me a positive hope🙏

1 Like

Interesting take on the current admissions cycle from private counselor. More Students Will Be Waitlisted This Year: Here's What to Do - C2 Education

3 Likes

Sorry, I saw "May, I and I thought it was May 1st… Lol…

What I can tell you is that my D18 was admitted in EA and submitted her housing app with her future roommate almost immediately after the housing app opening and wasn’t given her housing placement until about August 1st.

Also, the class size will be roughly the same as 2018-2019 (D18’s class), so I wouldn’t worry about getting housing, if admitted from the WL.

2 Likes

Keeping my fingers crossed. UMich remains my daughter’s top choice but UMich isn’t sure about her:( they aren’t saying good bye to her, neither are they admitting her.

5 Likes

My EA postponed and now waitlisted D just got invited to info session for January start Exercise Science program. I feel like Michigan wants to see if she goes to session to decide if she gets an offer. It doesn’t sit well with me. Before she commits any more time and gets further invested, Michigan should make the admission decision.

9 Likes

Michigan is classic, “If you really truly love me, then maybe we’ll love you back.” :grinning:

I’d do it, but then I’m a glutton for punishment. I just had almost this same situation with D21 about a new job she wants. If she REALLY wants it, then you’re going to have to pucker up even more. :laughing:

2 Likes

I know easy for me to say because not my situation, but I wouldn’t be offended by this action. I see it as a positive that they are looking for a way to get her admitted. If it’s a school she likes I’d go.

1 Like

My daughter got it for sport management and she is excited to have the opportunity to potentially start at Michigan in January. Had she applied to LSA, she wouldn’t have this opportunity. She is not offended at all.

3 Likes

I think this is pretty common in the world of waitlists. Not this situation exactly – needing to attend an information session – but it is not uncommon for waitlisted students to get calls from admissions offices to feel them out. Schools, Michigan or elsewhere, don’t want to extend an offer to someone who they don’t think will matriculate.

I can see why it would be frustrating, but it seems like the kind of expectation that comes with getting off a waitlist.

Didn’t they have some January starts for kinesiology last year too? I wonder why? What changes between August and January that allows them to have space in the program?

The Sport Management Immersion Program (Winter start) was around last cycle:

https://www.kines.umich.edu/academics/sport-management/undergraduate/immersion-program

But I think a Winter start to Movement Science, also in the School of Kinesiology, is a new program.

2 Likes

Kids who got the Spring 23 start option, is it all for Sport management? does anyone know if summer option is offered for any specific program as well? Please advise. We haven’t heard from UMich and GC is against contacting the school. As per the GC, once a LOCI was submitted post EA deferral, no additional efforts should be made since UMich is one of those schools that don’t like appeals or contacts of any form.

1 Like

So, my son was postponed, then rejected by UoM for MechE as an in-state applicant from one of the top feeder high schools in the state with competitive stats for the program, but he was accepted by Carnegie Mellon. The wife’s theory is that he was not excited about UofM, but thought it was Christmas morning when he toured CMU, and this was reflected in his essays.

3 Likes

Wow! CMU is pretty darn awesome. Is he going to accept?

My theory is that UofM did reject a lot of in state applicants that they thought were less than interested … I’m sure that’s what happened to one of D22’s classmates. But UofM was his unequivocal first choice and now he’s reluctantly enrolling elsewhere.

It irritates me because it’s our flagship. Give these stellar in state kids an offer and then if too many of them choose to go elsewhere, find replacements from your massive waitlist. As a state, we don’t produce enough high stats grads in the first place … why is UofM chasing our homegrown talent OOS by rejecting them?

7 Likes

He received a waitlist decision already? I thought they weren’t going to send out decisions until after May 1st.

That’s disappointing but if he got into CMU - which he loves - that’s a fantastic outcome!
Best wishes.

3 Likes