UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

super interesting, thanks for posting

1 Like

same here! itā€™s driving me crazy and keeping me up!!!

1 Like

Hi, all! I used to be super active on this forum and ended up getting into UMich early action! UMich has always been my dream school and I was more excited reading my acceptance letter from their admissions office than I was when I got into Stanford :slight_smile:

I ended up committing to the B.A./M.D. program at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicineā€¦ largely not on my own volition, but because my dad made it clear that, since it was the program that best aligned with my future plans, it was the one I had to choose.

I feel like UMich is a much better fit for me and I have never really been in love with the school I committed to. I feel like I let my parentsā€™ judgement make this decision for me and that I shouldnā€™t have decided on a school I am not in love with. Iā€™ve talked with my mom, and she agrees that I should reach out to my AO and go to Michiganā€¦ I know this is super last minute, but I canā€™t tell if these are just normal college jitters and I shouldnā€™t worry about my choice, or if these concerns actually hold weight and I should de-commit and enroll at UMich. I know there are parents here that have had kids go through Michigan and were really helpful when I was waiting for my decision, so I trust your guysā€™ advice. My future is not in your hands, so no pressure, my family just needs some unbiased guidance. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you were more excited about getting into UMich than Stanford then in there lies your answer. Getting into your dream school sometimes does not happen but it happened for you. Go with the better fit.

3 Likes

What is the cost difference between your committed school and Michigan? Many rule out Michigan because of their super expensive OOS tuition. Paying over $70,000 a year to go to Michigan for premed when you are taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans for medical school makes zero sense. Fit is important, but even more important is not getting yourself into outrageous debt.

Unless you have a significant aid package that does not include loans or are in-state for Michigan I would take it off the table. There are very few medical specialties that can comfortably carry several hundred thousand dollars of debt without impacting your financial situation or preventing you from robustly saving for retirement or purchasing a house.

Even if you are not going in to debt, and your parents are paying for your undergraduate and medical school, that is still a very significant amount of money that needs to be spent wisely. Going to Michigan is not going to improve your chances of getting into medical school, and will lessen your chances over your other option.

3 Likes

There really isnā€™t much of a discrepancy in priceā€¦ at UMich, Iā€™d be paying the full OOS tuition (no financial aid) and, at the school Iā€™ve committed to, Iā€™d be paying for OOS professional school for six years, including the summer semester. According to the Michigan cost calculator, Iā€™d be paying $69k/year there and, at my other school, Iā€™ll be paying an average of $78k/year.

The devastating part about medical school is that I have yet to find a way around the debt :wink: Thank you so much for your help, thoughā€¦ you make a lot of valid points.

1 Like

Since money doesnā€™t seem to be an issue (you will be spending a lot either way) I would tell my daughter to follow her dream. I was leaning towards another school for my daughter where she could have had direct admit to med school and they offered her some money. When we went to campus day in Ann Arbor she absolutely lit up and I knew it was the place for her. I think itā€™s normal to have jitters about this. Many of my daughterā€™s friends had regrets when they committed. I have ā€œbuyers remorseā€ after every large purchase my husband and I make lol! Anxiety over large life decisions is just part of the process. Best of luck in your decision! Sounds like you have a good choice either way.

3 Likes

Who is paying? If itā€™s your parents and you are OOS, asking them to pay 82K isnā€™t your decision to make. They would have to agree. Since your plan includes med school, who is going to pay for med school? IF you plan to pay for it, then perhaps you could start the conversation. IF they are paying the whole 8 years thatā€™s something else.
You have very limited time and a tough conversation to have in a small window. Ask them outright if money is the main thing. IF so be happy to be in a committed BA/MD program. We have one child who plans to be a physician. We plan to pay for undergrad. Weā€™ll have to think carefully about undergrad and med school finances since thatā€™s more than twice what a BA costs.
Our '22 decided against UMich, partly due to the high costs and zero OOS merit. Better choices elsewhere. Itā€™s a great school but itā€™s pricey.

2 Likes

We also heard the virtual info session for the January Sport Mgmt Immersion Program. I was impressed by the programā€™s pathway structure, that by attending in Winter and Spring instead of Fall and Winter, students would be caught up and on pace with the fall admits. It also sounded like the January cohort would have some unique opportunities at midwest sports facilities during that Spring semester.

However, even after hearing all of that, my S22 denied his waitlist spot. I am happy to say that will be attending Florida State University in the fall. He was accepted into Honors (after a somewhat involved application) and was awarded a generous merit scholarship. I really feel that he has found his fit. So, heā€™s now a 'Nole!

Hoping for good news for your daughter and other Kinesiology applicants. I look forward to seeing the acceptances in this forum soon!

Lastly, thanks to everyone in this forum for your advice and insight throughout this admissions cycle. I really enjoyed reading the posts each week. Best wishes to all of your students at UMich or wherever they land. Happy National Decision Day!

3 Likes

Congrats to your sonā€”sounds awesome and it is great that he found his fit! I am not thrilled with a January start but I have come to the realization that this is not my choice and my daughter is determined to go if she gets in. She gave her deposit to Syracuse for the sport analytics program which I think is an excellent program (with incredible employment outcomes) and a great fit for her but I know there is not a chance in you know what that she will pass up the opportunity to go to Michigan. They say decisions by June 1st so one more month of waiting. Good luck to your son!!!

3 Likes

Are you sure youā€™re looking at it the same way your dad is? If I understood you correctly, the BS/MD is 6 years at $78K/yr, so around $470K? And just the BS at UMich for you would be around $280K. And, according to their website, if youā€™re lucky to match into Michiganā€™s medical school, itā€™s over $90K/yr out of state, for 4 years. And even if you match to a cheaper school, the minimum projected cost of med school in 4 years, according to Google, is going to be $250K. Thatā€™s a total cost of BS/MD of $530K-640K, depending on med school, if you choose the Michigan undergrad. Plus, youā€™ll get started on your residency and work experience two years later, so add in the opportunity cost of losing two more years of income and career advancement as a physician.

I think the bottom line is, how sure are you that you want to be a doctor? Cutting two years from the process and $100K+ off the price would be worth it, to me, if that were my goal, even if the school was less of a dream fit. But not if I thought I might change my mind and go into the workforce in 4 years.

2 Likes

I asked my AO for info about whether they will be using waitlist. All they said was a one line email that says ā€œAt this moment, deposits are upā€. What does that mean?

That many people who were offered admission have accepted, and the likelihood of using waitlist will correspondingly be low.

5 Likes

i promised iā€™d update this thread with my decision - i actually ended up choosing michigan! it was an extremely difficult decision and in the end i was probably 51% michigan and 49% duke, with other parts of me still wanting to go to penn, ucb, and uf. i appreciate everyone in this thread who was helpful and kind during the process!

19 Likes

Congrats and Go Blue!

2 Likes

Well, that was a surprise ending. Congrats to you and your family.

3 Likes

Wow, well done! Surprised you turned down Wharton.

2 Likes

Congratulations. Go Blue!!

D22 committed to UMich as well, it was a very difficult discussion for her with all the other great options including SJSU, SCU, CalPoly SLO, UIUC, Purdue, UCSC, ASU, UPitt and Texas A&M.

5 Likes

Yep, mine (D22) turned down Harvard and GT for UMich engineering.

9 Likes

I understand the others but Cal Poly? Surfing for Go Blue?
:joy: