UMich vs CWRU (nursing)

Hey there- I’m currently a senior in HS, trying to decide which nursing school (BSN) to choose. Both UMich and Case Western are great and they both have relatively similar costs- it’s just the different environments that I’m finding it hard to choose from.

UMICH (Net Cost about $54k) :

Pros:

• Great nursing program
  • Well known with a great reputation
  • The alumni-networking community is expansive and the connections are amazing
  • High ranking
  • Great social life and school pride (this is important to me- I like support systems!)

Cons:

• Size is large and competitive (I am slightly introverted)
  • I’m OOS and financial aid is lacking (though not that much compared to CWRU)
  • UMich’s School of nursing is sorta small and not that well-known compared to others like Ross (but that might just be me)

CWRU (Net Cost about $51k):

Pros:

• Smaller class sizes
  • Has hospitals like Cleveland Clinic right next to it
  • Campus is more diverse- not as many in-state students
  • The school of nursing building looks beautiful (I would love that atmosphere)
  • Has more clinical hours (1,300)

Cons:

• Not as highly ranked
  • Financial aid is just alright- even with a scholarship
  • the general campus is not as good-looking??? (this is only what I’ve seen from video tours- I haven’t actually gone to any college tours so this is very biased and slightly inaccurate)

Both are great schools- I keep flip-flopping between both with the May 1 deadline in only a week or two.
I’m genuinely conflicted on this- while I care about the quality of education, I also want to have a social life with school spirit and a great community.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated and welcome!

Would you need to take on any debt for either of these universities? If so, then do you also have other options that are less expensive?

Financially, this is affordable for my family- although I do have cheaper options, their nursing programs are not as good as those of umich/cwru.

Unlike many schools’ nursing majors, CWRU does not aggressively weed out students. Direct admit students only need to maintain a 2.0 GPA and C grades to stay in good standing with the major: https://case.edu/nursing/international/programs/bsn/degree-requirements

It is not clear from the Michigan nursing major web site whether there are specific grade or GPA requirements substantially higher than 2.0 GPA and C grades to stay in the nursing major there. You may want to ask directly what grade or GPA requirements there are to stay in the nursing major there.

At Michigan they have Michigan medicine which the hospital is ranked like 5th in the country. Once your in nursing the school will become very small to you being introverted or not won’t have anything to do with the size of the institution.

Its pretty well known and Michigan is an international brand. Wear a Michigan t-shirt anywhere and someone will say “Go Blue”…

I am only pushing Michigan since their costs to you are so close. Michigan is a traditional college campus. Ann Arbor gets ranked constantly as the best city to live in with Michigan Campus the best place to be.

45 Majors are in the top 10 so like all your classes or minors will be highly regarded. This is old but you will get the idea. Forty LSA Programs Ranked in the Top Ten, Says U.S. News and World Report | U-M LSA U-M College of LSA

You will become a nurse at both of them and your less expensive options. It comes down to what type of 4 years do you want to have.

One thing I told my kids for college was that you don’t have to be the same kid you where in high school. Introverted… Great… In college try to go outside of your comfort zone a bit. Mine did and were constantly rewarded for it… Good Luck.

Here ranked 5th in the United States but 15th in the world… That’s pretty darn good.

Michigan Medicine ranked No. 5 hospital in the U.S., No. 15 in the world by Newsweek.

There is no one right answer for everyone. Go to the school you feel is the best fit.

3 Likes

Do you plan on living and working near those schools upon graduation? If not, then the “rating” is less important.

If you can swing it logistically, you might want to try and actually visit both campuses before you have to send in your acceptance. That might help you determine at which place you would be more comfortable being a student.

We are in the same boat for my daughter. Which one did you choose and how are you liking it?