UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@UMKCRoosMD‌ I am instate!

Me too! I’m in! Regional! :)))))

congrats guys.

@blugrn6, I noticed in this: http://www.med.umkc.edu/docs/Docent_Handbook_2013.pdf, that for Docent Clinics - you guys have a midterm and final exam (along with clinical evaluations) that go towards your clerkship grade. Are these exams that come from a specific textbook or is it testing what you actively learned in clinic? I’ve heard from a few students that things like Docent Clinic and Docent Rotation have had a lot of busy work/book work added to them in a way to try to “improve” them, which at times gets in the way when you really want or need to study for something else: other graded classes, or studying for Step 1.

I’ve also heard the Docent Clinics supercede everything – you miss class on your clinic day, or your rotation until you get out of clinic. I’m just wondering how much you felt like Docent Rotation and Docent Clinic interfered with the other stuff you have to do – basic science classes, USMLE Step 1, and other things that all traditional med students have to do.

I got in too!! :smiley:

Congrats @xiaomeimei77!!! And in-state as well!!

My daughter got accepted!!! (in state) Thank you all for your help and support.

Congratulations to your daughter, @15match!!!

I got accepted!!! In state!!

I got in!! I am from St. Louis, MO

@tangent2medicine @butterfly16 @15match and others accepted

Have you accepted your offers of admission?

I got my acceptance to UMKC, but I am still waiting for April deadlines, oh my, what to do!

Finishing the acceptance with wording I will be a doctor in 2021, has me on top of the world, thank you UMKC!

I may not accept, but wow, this does make me feel good : )

Congratulations HopingMD!!! I know you’ll be hugely successful wherever you decide to go. You get some time to sit at a desk once the euphoria has worn off to compare to your other acceptances, but it’s great to know.

Sorry for my rudeness, my hopes of good news to everyone! All who interviewed deserve good news - each of you worked hard, very hard!

@ PinkPrincess2014 Did you get your acceptance?

Yes, I got an acceptance as well (OOS)!!! I’m glad you got accepted too as I know you were waiting intently as well!

Hey guys, just got accepted as a regional student from Illinois. Was just wondering if someone can list some pros and cons of the program versus taking a regular route and getting the full four years of each part.

@PinkPrincess2014 CONGRATS!!!

And please do NOT take all of the negatives I found as reasons not to go to UMKC. You will be an MD in 2021!

I have a lot to ponder, but this is wonderful news and I hope the best for everyone!!

@Roentgen

Thank you, and yes, I will have a lot to think over, but helping children feel better as an intern in 2021 is something that really matters to me. Board scores, residencies, yes they are issues for me, but being able to help, being able to make the sick and injured smile in 2021, wow, how can I say no to that? I so want to help, to cure…

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom and guidance.

@HopingMD, not at all!! UMKC started out sort of as a “dream” program bc of the 6 year thing and no MCAT. But as the application cycle progressed, a lot of the negatives that I had about the program were things you had the courage to voice out loud actually. It’s like you were reading my mind through ESP or something. lol.

I really think @UMKCRoosMD, @Roentgen, and @bluegrn6 have been fantastic in answering all our questions in such great comprehensive detail - I truly can’t say that enough. Regardless of whether I accept or reject UMKC, out of all the Bachelor/MD programs on CC, this thread and talking with students/alumni (but mainly reading this thread) has really been eye-opening, so I know I’ll be making the most knowledgeable and informed decision that I ever could about this program. I wouldn’t have figured out even half of the inner workings of this BS/MD program without this thread on College Confidential.

@HopingMD, in the end that is all that matters. It’s just important that there isn’t a huge gap or discrepancy in expectations, especially if you change your specialty choice (Pediatrics residency isn’t the only specialty in which you get to work with children - as there are Pedi fellowships in other residencies as well – Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Radiology, Dermatology, PM&R, Pathology, etc.), hence why I say “fit” is important.

But working with the sick and injured is something everyone will come into contact with in healthcare just in different ways.