UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@UMKCHopeful, if indeed your numbers are correct that 5 OOS people who were accepted, turned down their admission to the UMKC BA/MD program, then yes, they would just replace those 5 OOS spots with 5 people from the OOS waitlist – most likely the top 5 on that list. It’s not surprising to have that much movement in the OOS pool because the level of OOS tuition risk is just quite ridiculous for some people for an unranked medical school - but as of now, there are still families willing to fork over that much money or take loans for that amount — $330 K and counting for tuition & fees alone.

It’s possible that they just took beyond 15 OOS people this year (since from a tuition standpoint you’re paying for 2 in-state spots). The numbers on the website are ranges, but aren’t exact quotas. You’ll likely find whether you got off the waitlist on May 1, maybe May 2nd, since May 1st is the deadline for acceptance of your offer.

For those who do get off the waitlist, since I know someone may ask - it no longer matters, it starts from scratch. No one will ever know and no one will care.

@blugrn6, @Roentgen, @UMKCRoosMD,

As we’re getting close to the end of the month for people to decide, what are some of things either about UMKC’s medical school/program or about medicine in general do you think we should know about, or wish that you had known about before you started - whether about med school, residency, specialties or beyond. What are some of the things that may have caught you off-guard while you were going through the program, that you didn’t expect. As you know most of us entering from high school don’t really know what to expect overall.

Also if you have a list of tips/words of advice in the program to remember, please feel free to tell. I realize this is a long question and request, so feel free to take your time for a good list.

Could somenone post a link to the FB gorup, I can’t find it.

@Roentgen @Blugrn6 What are some of the hardest classes during the first two years?

@ang, the Facebook group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577534252494482/. I also signed up for the Dropbox from @UMKCMed2021, which was really helpful for some of the books from our science classes.

Edit: I think the website blocks out part of the website, so the stars are the Facebook(.)com part.

@ang,

I think what courses/semesters are difficult during the first 2 years can vary by the person. I’ll relate my and my classmates’ experiences as to what they found hardest and why it was hard, as @blugrn6 will relate her/his experience. Realize this can also vary by the professors that are teaching a particular course in a particular semester, and how they write exam questions.

Honestly, in Year 1, there is nothing that was hard. Some people got themselves in a little trouble by procrastinating way too much and outright failing exams and because the courses allowed you 1 low score drop test, that increased their stress, unnecessarily, by having to work harder the rest of the semester. But Year 1 overall was quite awesome. You can easily study, exercise & eat right, get good sleep, stay on top of things, do well academically, be involved, have a lot of fun in and around KC, and soak up the experience. I think it does help that all BA/MD students are living at the dorms, as there is a positive reinforcement aspect – you see someone else in your class studying, you feel a little guilty, so you start studying. lol. It’s probably one of the best years in terms of overall academic stress level though. People also knock out a lot of credits with incoming college credit or testing credit, as well as knocking out credits during Year 1 by taking CLEP tests. Very few people extend or leave during this time solely due to academic reasons.

1) Year 2 Summer

Many of my classmates absolutely hated their first summer. Unlike the Fall/Spring semesters which are each 16 weeks long, the Summer is only 8 weeks long. They were taking Cell Biology, Organic Chem + Organic Chem Lab = 8 credit hours, which is a normal load but harder since they are all sciences. While they are all taught at the undergraduate level, since it’s an 8 week summer semester, they have to meet double the amount of time per week and go at double the speed - so instead of having 1 exam every 4 weeks in a normal 16 week semester (4 exams), they would have 1 exam every 2 weeks (still 4 exams). Even Organic Chemistry 320 Lab meets double time, so instead of meeting only for ~3 hrs once a week for 16 weeks, it’s ~3 hours twice a week, for 8 weeks in the summer. These are easily do-able classes in a normal 16 week semester, but can get pretty tight for time in the summer, since you’ll have to study for these classes, outside of required lecture time. It can suck even more when you have classmates, as roommates, who have finished Organic Chem + Organic Chem 320 in the spring and only have Cell as a requirement in the summer, so they can have a lot of fun, while you’re stuck studying for all 3 courses at the same time.

If you are having to take all 3 in that summer, I don’t recommend skipping classes. People get used to skipping classes in the Fall/Spring of Year 1 and still doing well (i.e. Chem I and Chem II), but it’s usually much more difficult to do so in the summer without getting really far behind quickly and in these courses there are generally no drop tests. It can be tempting to skip, since it is the summer - and who wants to be in class? As @blugrn6 mentioned, if they are indeed Tegrity recording those classes, than my advice on skipping might not have any merit since you can just watch at home. Most people have the procrastination bug clamped down on them either by Organic Chem or by Biochemistry – since it’s sometimes difficult to recover from failure on 1 exam in those courses.

It really sucked as the final exams for the summer semester, are always on the last class day of the semester, so people would have to come in at 11:45 and take the Organic 320 Exam until 1:30 in Flarsheim, and then walk right over to take the Cell Bio Exam from 2:00 to 3:15 in Royall Hall, without much of a break or some extra time to clear your head and cram for that second exam. Needless to say, for some people summer semesters just don’t work well for them, especially if they might be tired after having gone thru Fall/Spring.

If there is one course that is possible to extend over it is Organic Chem 320 since it is a prerequisite to enroll in Biochemistry. Organic Chemistry is really nothing like General Chemistry I/II and quite honestly is useless as a med student and as a physician, so once it’s done, sell your books for that one. Even in Biochemistry, you won’t be looking back at your Organic Chemistry notes and textbook.

**2) Year 2 Fall **

In the Fall, it goes back to the regular undergrad 16 week semester schedule, so I would say the hardest class that did tend to extend people is Human Biochemistry I. It’s the very first “official” medical school basic science course, so it’s supposed to be taught at the medical school level, not an undergraduate level. This usually means the level of detail you’re responsible for is so much greater than what you would be responsible for as an undergraduate student. All BMS courses are taught by a medical school faculty member from the Department of Basic Medical Sciences. As a subject, the Biochemistry course can get to people because it is purely a rote memorization course at least the way it is usually taught, so for some it may involve a change in study strategy as will Structure Function: http://info.umkc.edu/news/our-students-our-story-umkcgoingplaces-31/

The only other irritation was just a scheduling thing. Sociology 211 that semester is scheduled from 12:00 - 12:50 MWF and Genetics 206 is scheduled 1:00 - 1:50 MWF. So on exam days for Genetics, it’s a little harder to study while in Sociology class when you’re trying to cram information right before the exam. The easy solution to this is to take Sociology 211 in an earlier semester if you can.

@ang

**3) Year 2 Spring **

I think the most common roadblock for students in Year 2 by far is the Human Structure Function (HSF) series. Some people who had trouble in Biochemistry excelled in HSF, others who had excelled in Biochemistry had a harder time in HSF, so performance in one is not necessarily related to performance in the other. They are 2 very different classes, in my opinion. You have a Clinical Correlations (CC) course that runs at the same time as HSF, which has different clinicians who give lectures on topics that correlate with what you’re learning in HSF. The exam questions in CC appeared on our HSF exams, but were tabulated separately to compose your CC grade that you get credit for officially in the summer.

Unlike other semester long courses where your grade is calculated at the end, with exams thru the entire semester, with HSF, each block is necessary for completion to move on to the next block, since if they made it one HSF course it would be one grade worth 22 credit hours, and if you failed, that would be disastrous to recover from. So at least the way it is now, HSF I completion is necessary to go to HSF II, HSF II completion is necessary to go to HSF III, HSF III completion is necessary to go to HSF IV. It’s kind of stupid because if you fail or drop out of any block (I, II, III) you a) automatically extend 1 year, b) you have to continue to attend and audit the HSF II and III courses even though you don’t get any credit for it, and c) you can’t enroll in any undergraduate classes for credit since it’s long past the start of the semester.

As mentioned before, by @blugrn6, HSF is a course divided by discrete organ systems with the Gross Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, Embryology, and any remaining Biochemistry (that wasn’t taught in Human Biochemistry I) for each organ system. So on one exam you’ll have separate questions on the Gross Anatomy lectures, separate questions on the Physiology lectures, separate questions on the Histology lectures, separate questions on any Embryology lectures, separate questions on the Biochemistry (if there is any) lectures on one exam, as well as the Clinical Correlations questions that go for that specific course. It’s only called “integrated” because you are taught them all in the same time period, but the actual questions themselves aren’t truly integrated like would be on Step 1.

Here is the breakdown. The dates below are from the public schedule on Pathway so you can get an idea of how much time you have:

HSF I - Introductory Principles and Musculoskeletal system (7 credit hours) = Jan 5-Feb 19
HSF II - Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, GI (6 credit hours) = Feb 23-Apr 15
HSF III - Urinary and Reproductive (5 credit hours) = Apr 20-May 21
HSF IV - Head & Neck, including special senses. (4 credit hours) = Jun 1-Jul 13

Each section has about 2-3 Lecture Exams and 1 Microscope Practical Exam. The number of credit hours has nothing to do with the amount of time for each block (i.e. 7 credit hours is not 7 weeks, 6 credit hours for 6 weeks, etc.)

There were also Lab sessions in which you either look at actual histology slides (which are later used for Practicals) or view a Histology CD-ROM program, view prosected cadavers which are supposed to demonstrate the anatomy in the Lachman’s Case Studies, and there is usually a Lab sheet for the anatomical model lab where you’re given which you are supposed to find the answers to certain objectives, but which usually aren’t verbatim covered in Lecture (which is even more frustrating when you’re already trying to learn the lectures), which can/will be tested on lecture exams. I think a major wrench in the course is that unlike all other science courses at UMKC, the tend to not follow the textbook chapters - which I believe we were told they do that on purpose, but it was generally frustrating for us because the information couldn’t just be found in one place - this was mainly a problem for Gross Anatomy though.

@Roentgen Thanks that helps so much!

@Roentgen, What did you mean by “Most people have the procrastination bug clamped down on them either by Organic Chem or by Biochemistry”?

@bladerz1, first give me a day or 2 for one of your prior questions that you asked. I’ll definitely be sure to answer it.

I think we all have a little bit of the procrastination bug in us - which you probably know very well from high school – doing class projects last minute, studying a few days before exams, etc. Some of us don’t let it go too far out of hand, others really live on the edge and push their limits in terms of procrastinating - which they can either be lucky or end up on the other edge of the line in terms of passing/not passing. College and even med school is really no different.

So in Year 1, you have people for the first time being in college and away from home, etc. to where going to class for the first time in their lives is not mandatory and is your own responsibility. So slowly, but surely, as the semester drags on, people start skipping lectures: first here and there and then consecutively. As it starts getting chillier, colder, starts snowing, etc. it’s even more of a temptation to not attend class. Many of us who had to take Chem I and II, would skip classes, even weeks at a time for some of us who had taken AP Chem in high school (but just not taken the AP test). Same with Year 1 Anatomy and Year 1 Micro which had 1 lowest test grade drop test.

Once it starts getting to the summer with Cell/Organic semester, and if not then, then definitely with Biochemistry, skipping class usually didn’t work as well for people’s grades and neither did procrastination – mainly bc of the pure volume of information. It’s very scary to be close to that edge, where failing a class may cause you to extend. It’s definitely not even close to being the end of the world if you do extend, but why even put yourself in that situation? For some people that grade “shock” and being close to failing, is what they needed to turn over a new leaf, in terms of their procrastination flaw.

Here’s a real-life example in my class: So in Biochem I, we had 3 midterm exams, and a final with one drop midterm exam. I had classmates who decided to skip all the lectures for the first test, because they had skipped lectures in Chem I, Chem II, and Organic, but on which they still did well on exams. So they did this starting in Biochem (our first med school class) and did very poorly on the 1st exam and thought, “Ok, this will have to be my drop test, I’ll do better on the 2nd exam”. But the problem was, on that 2nd exam, the ENTIRE class did badly as a class average - like 70 - as the information and questions were just that hard even if you studied. So now they had 2 exams they had done badly on and they were either at a passing grade © or a little below at failing, which would mean they would have to extend. So that’s when they started freaking out, and started going to SI (Supplemental Instruction) teaching sessions, studying with us in groups, etc. and kicking things into overdrive to do well on the 3rd midterm and final to at least make it through Biochem just to promote. When if they had just attended class, taken notes and did well on the first exam, their 2nd test would have easily been their drop test, and they would have been just fine. So that “scare” was the only thing that worked to show them they needed to change their ways. Nearly all of them made it through as we were a pretty cohesive group by then, but it really made them change when they otherwise would have kept tempting fate.

I’m not saying you should never skip class ever. I’m definitely guilty of doing it and I did well. In some classes, some people who skipped did better than those who went to class. Some days in certain classes we felt like we would have been so much better off just reading the material independently rather than going and sitting in lecture and they just go through the textbook. What I am saying is just know your own personal limits and for many people that was the Year 2 Summer with Organic (the professor has changed so maybe this no longer applies), but definitely by Biochemistry for sure, when it’s taught at the med school professional level. Past Biochem, you’ll see that except for a very very select cases, severe procrastination and skipping classes usually doesn’t work anymore, definitely not in medical school, especially if you want to get an “A” grade. It doesn’t mean if you attend and stay attentive in every single class, you’re guaranteed an “A” either, but it increases your chances of doing better assuming you don’t doze off and actually take notes, etc.

@ang

Ok so in terms of hard classes Year 1 and 2:

Year 1 - not really hard at all, but its easy for me to say that sitting here having been done with all of my Year 5 cores and being post Step 1. I was freaking out just as much about my first anatomy test as I was about my Step 1 exam. Did I have to be that anxious about it? No. Did it make me study better? Yes.

Anyways, I digress.

Hardest class in terms of amount of material: Anatomy. It is just a lot of STUFF, stuff that you are not used to having to memorize/recall for your high school classes. Its not overwhelming though, and if you keep up with it, you will be just fine.
Hardest class in terms of critical thinking: Organic Chemistry. It just clicks with some people, and some people wanted to kill themselves. Good thing is if you hate it don’t worry about it because trust me when I say this: it is NEVER going to be used again in your life.
All of the other classes are not bad at all. I will get into studying advice a little bit below.

Year 2 - gets a bit harder, and again each year will get harder as you progress, making you want to go back to the year before.

Hardest class in terms of amount of material: Biochemistry and HSF (Histology and Anatomy). This is more information than you can imagine will be thrown at you in a very short periods of time. Its easy to fall behind and get lost in it. Biochemistry is a little big more daunting because it is a lot of chemical processes and you have to know the order and how messing up one reaction can lead to messing up products downstream or accumulation of precursors upstream vs. HSF anatomy and histology are pure ROUGE memorization. For example, you learn every single muscle in the human body, its origin point, insertion point, what nerve is innervated by it, and what its function is. But there is no real thought involved in knowing that, you just need to know where it originates.

You just asked about the first two years so I’ll leave it at that. I think Year 3 onwards is something you don’t need to worry about at this point anyways.
Besides you’ll get a whole two day orientation at the start of Year 3 about how the next years will be different, what to expect, how to study, and there will be older years to give you advice.
For now, focus on making it through HSF. Passing that cumulative final at the end of HSF is sort of a “right to passage” to medical school. After that, people will be like, ok you’re a legit med student now.

@bladerz1

I’m going to answer you question in chucks between my studying.

Speaking of studying here is some general advice that people don’t realize:

You have a LOT of information, you need to keep up with it. As @Roentgen said, you can procrastinate to a certain point, but after that it is going to get you into trouble.

Find you ideal studying habits. What does that mean? It means, do you study well by reading textbooks, do you study well by listening to the lecture again, do you study well by going over the material really really well one time, or going over it kinda fast multiple times, or going over it semi well the first time and then need to go over it really fast a second time, do you like doing questions and learn better when you get something wrong, do you study well by going over a small amount at a time and studying everyday or do you like to cram it in all at once? You won’t know the answers to this question right now at all. It is important to take the first and even the second year of your medical school, and even HSF actually, to figure it out. The key is to get this stuff figured out before you hit Year 3. Because until than you have time to experiment, once you hit Year 3, ain’t nobody got time to experiment on how to study, you do what you gotta do and just go.

If you are really into procrastination/want to feel like you have a life at least do this:

1. Always, always, always go to lecture. There is no substitute for good old going to class, paying attention, taking notes, and learning actively. It makes you feel so productive, and honestly if you are not going to class than what are you doing all day?
  2. For the first test of a class, never underestimate the material. Always study hard for that test and get a good buffer in case something goes wrong towards the end.
  3. It is OK to take time off the test and decompress.

I’ll give you an example:

• I am not the person that will study everyday for an HSF test. The tests are every 15 days ish? After the test I used always take 5 days off. I would go to class for those days, but after class is done, I would go home, watch movies, goof around, and do whatever the eff I wanted. The next 2-3 days after that I would study with friends, so I would get some stuff done, but it would be mostly social hour. But then the week before the test I am in super focus mode. I would study 7 hours after class was done, full on in the library till they kick me out, only took an hour to get dinner. And then repeat the process. Other people are not like that. I had friends who would put in 3 hours after class each day and then the week before the test they were only doing 3 hours while I was doing 7. And THATS OK. Find what works for you.

Also please for the love of god do not try to do something just become someone else is doing it. People have a tendency to go: well if he is reading the book then I should read the book. Or wait he is re-listening to all the lectures, maybe I should do that. Don’t that.

Find what works for YOU! I never read textbooks, you cannot force me to read a textbook if you tried. I find that extremely boring. I learn by doing questions. I will do 1000 questions and read all the explanations before all shelf exams, while some of my friends will read the entire textbook. That’s fine because I know what I need to do get a good grade on the test. If I read a textbook even though I hate it and don’t learn from it and fail the shelf: no one is going give you a pass. Its not like: OMG but he read the textbook, that means he has to pass.

So do what works for you to LEARN the material. Don’t do stuff to impress or compete with other people. Because the sad reality is, no one gives you any credit for reading the book or doing 10,000 questions. They give you credit for the number grade you get on the test. And the best way to do that is to know the material.

Next topic will be maturity…I will get back to you during my next study break!

@ang

Ditto on the Organic Chemistry comment by blugrn6 above. For me, that course required a totally different type of studying and thinking that didn’t even come close to what I was used to coming from General Chemistry I and II (AP Chemistry). Some people just had an innate knack to be able to visualize things in three-dimension (definitely not me - as sometimes I had to use the Organic Chemistry model set: [Organic Chemistry Model Kit](http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Organic+Chemistry+model+kit&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AOrganic+Chemistry+model+kit/), and I think organic chemistry emphasizes a lot more on concepts and problem-solving ability, much more than pure memorization ability. Depending on the professor and how it’s taught, memorization is usually not enough for that course, which is ironic, as most of the other courses later on at UMKC are almost pure memorization in nature:
http://www.quora.com/What-makes-organic-chemistry-difficult-for-many-students
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-organic-chemistry-is-so-hard-2014-1

There are many different resources on the internet (Youtube, websites, etc.) to ace Organic, but I know some people got the specific textbook ahead of time and made their own flashcards of the reactions. I think making the flashcards during the year made ahead of time can save you reams of time when you take the class in the summer. You have more than enough time to make them if you take the Organic course in the Spring.

I should have remembered, for some people, Year 1 Anatomy Lab was harder only because you get 1 official lab section a week with the microscope slides and models to identify structures, since all the exams in the Anatomy Lab course are practicals, where you have timed stations in which you have to identify structures. There were people whose schedules were very light who came in to other lab sections also - but it’s entirely up to the instructor’s discretion and they can kick you out if there are way too many people in that particular section. What I noticed younger classes doing now is using their smartphones to take pictures of the actual models and the histology through the microscope heads in the room and then share them in a Facebook group with the class, and then you can just study them from home as much as you want. I still can’t believe we studied so hard just for a measly 1 credit hour class, but it was our first semester in the program, so naturally the motivation to get a 4.0 runs pretty high then for everyone.

Upperclassmen can give good advice (although sometimes biased advice) as to which exams were easy or hard, which concepts were emphasized on particular exams, what things a certain professor likes to emphasize or how he/she writes test questions, which resources are most helpful (textbook, lecture notes, or both, etc.), and they may also have old previously released exams to practice to get down concepts. That being said, each year is different, so don’t make the mistake of studying for “last year’s exam”. It can also sometimes be counterproductive to asking a particular upperclassman who makes every exam out to be hard, and freaking you out unnecessarily, so some advice might want to be taken with a grain of salt.

I really can’t emphasize enough what @blugrn6 said, but in undergrad and med school, don’t be afraid to try different study methods, just because it initially might be outside of your comfort zone. Ideally it should be before you do badly on an exam, but different courses sometimes require different ways to process or remember the information - whether that is due inherently to the subject matter or whether that’s due to the professor and how they teach/write test questions. Some people rewrite their notes or type their notes up filling in any gaps from re-listening to the recording of the lecture. Some people write or type charts, some people make physical flashcards, make concept maps, some people draw things out (i.e. certain things in HSF - Anatomy), some people study and write things out on a white erasable board with erasable markers, some people now use iPhone flashcard programs like Anki, Quizlet, StudyBlue, etc. For some people, it’s just reading/re-reading and highlighting their notes and their textbook.

As @blugrn6 said, just don’t do a study method solely because you see the smartest kid in the class doing it. After going thru the program, I realized that everyone just has a different way to study and process information, and there isn’t a “right” way or a “wrong” way, only what is best for the way YOU process things. The one thing I would make sure to do is maintain your studying efficiency and energy level, and try not to burn out. As you progress through courses, being able to go thru the textbook 3 times and your lecture notes 3 times before an exam, becomes less and less practical, especially in HSF, where you have an exam nearly every 2 weeks on the dot.

@bladerz1 and @ang,

Just to give you a 180 degree contrast in studying methods from @blugrn6, I’m an avid textbook reader (assuming the reading isn’t way too much), mainly due to habit from high school and studying for AP exams. For me, a textbook is authoritative, usually well-organized, gives you the information you need to know, and many times can explain things in much greater detail from something that was taught in lecture. It can also be a repetition of something exactly taught the same way in lecture. For some people, reading a textbook can easily lead to losing their concentration, losing their place while reading line by line in a book, or it’s just too much of a passive way of learning for them, etc.: http://www.gavilan.edu/tutor/documents/StudyTipsforDifferentLearningStyles_000.pdf

Here is a good start on how to study a textbook properly, famously called the SQ3R method: http://www.studygs.net/texred2.htm

I’m also the type where repetition is the key to getting information in my head so hearing it in lecture, writing it down, maybe rewriting my notes and filling in any gaps, and going through it over and over again, or saying it out loud verbally, just solidifies everything for me. I tend to be the type to listen to lecture (whether that’s being there physically or listening to a recording). I’m an “old fogey” so some of us used to bring in tape or digital tape recorders. I would think UMKC courses would now start using the Tegrity system they have there: http://www.umkc.edu/ia/it/tegrity/, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they purposefully didn’t use it, to keep people coming to class.

The one thing I would say though, and I realize this is very far off for you but just to keep in the back of your mind, when it comes to USMLE Step 1: There is just no way you will be able to reread from front to back all of your course textbooks, all your course lecture notes, etc. If you’re Type A like most med students are, it’s very different than the usual way you study for midterm and final exams.

For many people, in starting studying for Step 1, it was not only going mainly through specific subject-based USMLE review books, but mainly it was doing lots and lots of test questions, whether that’s in physical books (i.e. Kaplan Qbook), online Kaplan Qbank, and now these days people are using USMLERx, USMLEWorld, and the NBME self-assessment exams.

Whatever you do, don’t use the ExamMaster Qbank that UMKC offers, which is free for students: http://libguides.library.umkc.edu/content.php?pid=272182&sid=2244393 – it’s utterly useless for the exam and I don’t really know why the UMKC library continues to buy it for student use.

There is something different neurologically in the brain when it comes to reading lines in a textbook vs. answering questions (whether that be questions you’ve made up in a study group, old exam questions, or doing USMLE review resource questions) when it comes to long-term retention (vs. short-term) which you’ll need for the morning of your Step exam.

If you’re not used to this type of learning (by actively doing questions), then you’ll have to get used to it, because on Step 1, there is just so much information, that just rereading all your books (even just review books) 50 times won’t get you a better and higher score like it would for class exams. I was scared initially by doing USMLE test questions early on, without having read everything first, since I was afraid of getting them wrong, but the truth is if you just read only and wait for that “perfect” time, that time will never come, and you don’t get forever to study for Step 1.

It’s a really silly way of thinking, because you’re only fooling yourself into thinking you really know the information, and questions themselves are really another way to learn from, not just for testing purposes. It’s also a way to think on your feet and actively remember things, bc you never forget a question testing the concept you got the wrong answer to. So then when you go back to read it again, you remember it. It’s reading the question, answering it, seeing whether you got it correct or wrong, AND (this step which people forget to do) it’s going back to the read the long explanations and figuring out why the right answer is right, and why the other answers are wrong and/or not the best answer. By the time you take your exam, you want to be a test question answering machine, and that only works by sitting and going thru blocks of questions.

Same with studying for NBME subject exams (they’re called “shelf” exams colloquially), as @blugrn6 mentioned, which are written by the same test writers who write your USMLE exams. You take the shelves for Year 5 Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, OB-Gyn, and Psychiatry in Year 5. I believe we also took them for Year 3 Pathology and Year 4 Behavioral Science – as UMKC doesn’t have you take any of the other shelf exams for any other basic science subject (yet).

For those, most people have a reasonable textbook (at the medical student level), a USMLE type review book, and questions sources. Most of us used the Pretest book series as that was the only thing available back then, but now students use resources like the Case Files book series, online Qbanks for Step 2, etc. In fact a girl this year, did her research project on this very topic: http://med.umkc.edu/docs/research/2015Posters/Megan_Litzau%20NBME.pptx. As @blugrn6 said, which you’ll figure out quickly, you don’t get points on the exam for HOW you study. So you’re best off choosing a way that is efficient to where you can get through the material, but also which you can understand, process, and retain it.

@jjbinks295, @tangent2medicine, @xiaomeimei77, @15match, @Butterfly16, @ckokafor99, @vishalmittal, @popsys, @btypic, @sar793, @smarterthanaslug, @in2llect, @cccc9798m, @pleasant, @AdVitam, @prospectivemed, @bkow711, @UMKChopeful

Thank you @bladerz1! It took a while to find all of our textbooks in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, but well worth it and I’m more than happy to share. You can easily read and highlight them on an iPad or print them out anywhere.

Since yesterday (May 1) was the last day to accept or reject your acceptance, I wanted to message for the last time and make anyone who was accepted this year aware that I created a Dropbox for our class (UMKC Med Class of 2021) for textbooks that we need. It will save us a lot of cash especially since a lot of the textbooks we won’t need after the class is over – Gen Chem, Gen Bio, Orgo Chem, etc. and we can just print on campus.

For those people who don’t know what a Dropbox is, it is a file hosting service website where you can store all of your files and access them from anywhere you have the Internet, without having to carry a flash drive. I’ve created a Dropbox for our class with the textbooks that we use, but I only get 2 GB free initially. But if I refer people to create a Dropbox account (which is also free for you to sign up, I swear), and you create a Dropbox account from my referral, 500 MB of space is added to your account, and 500 MB is automatically added to the class UMKC Med 2021 Dropbox, up to a total limit of 18 GB of space.

So if you guys don’t mind, PM message me with your email and I can send you a referral link to create a Dropbox for yourself, after which 500 MB will be added to yours and the class Dropbox, and then I can send you a direct link to the class Dropbox and you can start downloading. Hopefully this will work out well and you can download all the books and have them saved.

You can also send your email to my CC username at gmail. Let me know if you have any problems doing this so I can give you access.

Hi everyone! Congrats on making your decisions!! I was just wondering if you guys think UMKC will be sending wait list students the emails today, since they are electronic emails? or if they will start on Monday since that is when the office is officially open again? And I was also wondering if the school will let wait list students know when the class is filled up?

@UMKCHopeful, I sincerely apologize from my prior post, as I didn’t even realize when I wrote it that May 2nd would fall on a Saturday. Most likely it will be on Monday on letting people know whether they got off the waitlist or not, which will be done by the Admissions office and they likely won’t be there today on a weekend. And yes, they will let people on the waitlist know when they have a full class so they can make other college arrangements, if need be.

Today is the first UMKC orientation, so the ETCs will be there helping UMKC BA/MD students who signed up for that date, but they likely won’t know any admissions stuff, since they have enough on their plate to do. Would be nice if they knew that information though.

Please don’t feel any need to apologize. Your help is more than appreciated!

It would definitely be nice if the ETCs knew, but I’ve waited this long! I guess I can hold out for two more days! :slight_smile:

So I’ve been doing basic medical research since middle school (at University of Illinois college of medicine and Northwestern Weinberg). At UIC I’ve worked in a Microbiology & Immunology lab, Pharmacology lab and at Northwestern a Neurobiology lab. I also got a review paper published as a third author in Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research from the research I did with the Micro.Immuno lab. So would this improve my chances of getting a basic research opportunity as a first year or should I scrap that and just try to get a clinical one? Also I shadowed a neurologist who did clinical research affiliated with KU so I might be able to work with him…but maybe not because he usually works with KU med students -.-

@xiaomeimei77,

I would say your basic science experience is way above average for an incoming matriculating student. You should have absolutely no problem getting into basic science research at UMKC, but to be honest, no entering student needs any prior experience with basic science research to participate in it at UMKC’s medical school, as they realize that most students are just coming from high school. Most of the basic science research at UMKC’s medical school isn’t “top notch” very extensive research - except for certain select fields, unlike what you may have seen at UIC and Northwestern Feinberg. The ones that I have seen who do basic science research present on Research Day and do a poster.

You can see the basic science research currently going on under “Departmental Research Initiatives”: http://med.umkc.edu/bms/. Dr. Herndon and Dr. Molteni also do basic science research, which you can see the posters coming out from them here: http://med.umkc.edu/students-participate-in-2015-health-sciences-research-summit/

The reason I tell people to do clinical research is because it’s much faster to publish in, and is directly applicable to the specialty you’re shooting for. If you can find basic science research that actually applies to the medical specialty you would try to shoot for, then all the more power to you. Currently that’s in Shock/Trauma (General Surgery), Neuroscience/Vision (Neurology/Ophthalmology/Anesthesiology), and Musculoskeletal Biology (I could see this as applying to Orthopedic Surgery, PM&R, maybe Rheumatology so IM).

I think doing research at KU is fine, but it’s completely up to the professor there. Most likely yes, you would be considered a visiting student, but it doesn’t mean they won’t work with you.

@xiaomeimei77,

See my prior post on where you can do basic science research here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18405706#Comment_18405706

The Stowers Institute for Medical Research may be a real option for you.