UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@pokemon1, sorry I missed your question. So there are 3 specific pools: in-state, regional, and out-of-state, and there a set number of spots for each pool. So based on the percentages on the website, it’s about 58% in-state (60-65), 29% regional (30-35), and 13% out-of-state (10-15) with a total class of about 110 – 115 students in a Year 1 matriculating class.

They don’t give numbers for each interview pool, just the total # of interviews on their website, so about 320 applicants interviewing total. Depending on the year, there can be a little or a lot of flux in terms of how far down the acceptance list or waitlist they have to go, and who actually ends up matriculating, as some people have many other BS/MD programs they’re interested in and vying for (Just in Missouri alone there is SLU Med Scholars, Wash U University Scholars, Mizzou Bryant Scholars. Mizzou Conley Scholars is now defunct) or maybe they see that the pricetag is absolutely ridiculous and outweighs any perceived benefits of going to UMKC’s med school.

Again, this varies from year to year, and I guess also how risk-averse/neurotic the acceptee is. So it’s not like they’re going to take 40% of the matriculating class out-of-state one year, for example, even if it would increase UMKC’s prestige or help their board scores/match lists. They just can’t because UMKC is still a public, state funded institution that is very much accountable to its own state taxpayers.

Even to get the regional tuition thing approved, which only happened about 8 years ago, UMKC Med had to go to the Board of Regents (who decides tuition for the next year every year) and make their case to get approval for regional tuition, as the state has continued to falter even further when it comes to state funding (it’s always been lower for UMKC in general compared to other universities in the UM system). UMKC is like the ginger stepchild of the state, unlike say Mizzou which a lot of state elected officials are alumni of and thus has a lot of clout in the legislature.

@pokemon1, so when it comes to interviews and acceptances, you’re pretty much “fighting” (if that’s the word we’re going with here) within your particular pool. So if someone who is regional is offered an interview and then declines, they go down the regional waitlist and offer that person the interview, it doesn’t go to an in-state person or an out-of-state person on their respective waitlists. It stays in the same pool. Same for acceptances, if you’re out-of-state and decline your acceptance, they go to the next person on the out-of-state waitlist. They really have to try to maintain those same ratios, w/in a reasonable range.

By the way, here is a quote from the interview portal that gives a little summary of what happens after.

Even though we know what it says for the most part, just posting for the future applicants…

"Once interviews are complete, the Council on Selection will meet to determine which students will be offered admission. When the Council meets, they will consider all application materials submitted by the applicant (standardized test score, grade point average, essay, short answer responses, high school activities and leadership, health experience, reference forms) as well as the results of the interviews. The process of review is holistic and competitive. All materials will be used equally in making an admissions decision, and no one component of the application will guarantee an offer of admission.

The Council on Selection will choose to admit a student, deny a student or place a student on the alternate list. The final class will be 110-115 students, with 60-65 students from the state of Missouri, 30-35 students from the regional states (Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma) and 15-20 students from out-of-state."

@AtticusFinchh, I’m absolutely laughing at that C.Y.A. protocol of a response by the med school with regards to how they explain how it works once interviews are over and the Council on Selection meets, especially with the end disclaimer, " All materials will be used equally in making an admissions decision, and no one component of the application will guarantee an offer of admission," pretty much making all of what they said right before that completely useless, in terms of whether it helps applicants.

@Roentgen Haha I know, I was like what the heck?

Have an OOS gotten anything? I have not received any email or anything…its driving me crazy. I just wanna know now

@gangurhar Have you tried logging in to the portal? Do you see an interview tab? Idk if that’s directly related to the emails though.

Thanks so much for the detailed posts! You guys are greats

@Roentgen Nope, they didn’t say when they would notify us if an interview spot opens up. They also said they will not reveal our specific spot on the waitlist. I think my chances are slim at this point. Bummed :frowning:

Received my invite for an interview on 12/30 at 1:30 p.m. I am a regional applicant though so not sure if that makes a difference in their timeline of when they sent out emails.

Is Feb. 29-March 3 the only interview dates you think or is that just the set of dates some of us are given and others might have an earlier set of dates.

To Blugrn6, would like more insight from you regarding the lack of programs at UMKC. Some of the physicians I shadowed had warned me of similar obstacles, that the 6-year program does the school more good than the student, that they are nabbing the best of the best before the applicants know what they are getting into and once there it’s too late to turn back. I do want to specialize and not looking at primary care, from your posts it looks like I will have many obstacles and might be better off going through the traditional route. Already been accepted to the Honors College at my state university, just didn’t want to risk not getting into med school like some of your parents’ kids. Give me some more info on what kind of program they don’t have please.

@gangurhar, you’re OOS, sent your completed app by the Early Notification Deadline and received no response? I’m assuming you checked your spam and junk email as well.

@lyfe33, ok, thank you. I didn’t know how they were processing the waitlists from the early notification pool, as there will obviously be an interview waitlist from the regular deadline pool as well. Regular Deadline applicants will find out in late January.

@pumpkinbee, February 29 - March 3 are the only dates offered. Unlike the traditional interview format where they could offer several dates across a span of months as those don’t take long to set up at all, the MMI does take time to set up from start to bottom, they do it all one day after another starting February 29th at a stretch. Also, you have to use the @ function (like Twitter) to alert @Blugrn6 to answer your post/question above.

@lyfe33, yes, I think they’ve stopped giving people where they are on the waitlist (both for interviews and acceptances) as a general rule. With everything being automated now, they can just send you a notification thru the portal and to your email.

@Roentgen The interview date Feb29-March 3rd is only for early notification candidates or is it also for the regular candidates (whose interview notification will come in Jan)? Thanks in advance.

@GoldenRock
I think the way it works is that the school waits for the early applicants to select an interview date and then offer the dates with spots available to the November applicants. So if all the spots fill up for Feb. 29 (by the early notification applications), then that date won’t be available for the later interviees to select.
@Roentgen does that sound correct?

To some of the people who haven’t gotten emails yet:
I checked my portal first and saw the interview tab…later I got the email so I suggest you check the portal for an “interview” section.

Just my 2¢

@GoldenRock, It looks like in past interview cycles based on reading this thread in the past:

2013-2014 cycle – interviews were like Feb 24, 25, 26, and maybe 1 more date, but not sure about this
2014-2015 cycle – interviews were from Feb 23-26

So that’s it. There are no separate interviews for those who did the Early Notification vs. Regular Deadline. That’s why they need your response by the January 13th date, to see what openings they can offer to the Regular Deadline pool who will find out in late January and have x number of days to set up the date of their interview, just like you guys did. There will be people in both EN and RD categories that may turn down the interview for whatever reason, and thus they would go to the waitlist in the respective in-state, regional, and out-of-state pools.

Yup, you got it, @mscrystal!

To those on the alternate list (waitlist), in the 2013-2014 cycle, there was an OOS student (a highly annoying one in the thread, I might add), who was initially put on the alternate list, was thus deferred to the late January interview notification, got the interview in late January, attended the interview, and got in the program. So don’t give up hope just yet.

@pumpkinbee I responded to you via PM.