UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Manu007,

So it isn’t checking off certain ECs at your school that matters when it comes to getting the interview. Not all schools will have the same clubs and organizations, and on the application you are limited to 10. It’s not like admissions officers are sitting with applications saying, oh this guy was in Student Council for 3 years, but this girl was involved in Science Club for all 4 years, let’s go with her. Or it’s not like someone in Basketball will be ranked higher than someone in Soccer, etc.

What’s more important is sustained involvement (i.e. being involved over a longer period of time vs. say just a few months), how many hours per week for the activity. what you actually did in that activity (hence why you have to type out a description of the extent of your involvement on the application), any leadership positions you may have taken part in (realizing of course that you’re not necessarily going to be the leader in every single activity you attempt in high school): http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19746927/#Comment_19746927.

@Roentgen What was the hardest class for you personally throughout the six years?

@Roentgen Can you help me with a few doubts??

1. Im a little confused about who can fill out my reference forms. Could a doctor I shadowed for quite a while fill one out? How about a fellow I worked with in a lab?

2. Is there no early action anymore???

3. I plan to take the SAT once more and the scores will come out prob after the application deadline. Could I update my scores with UMKC?

4. Did you ever find out how to contact a former adcom member???

Thanks!! :smiley:

@Watang,

I would say the hardest class for me personally, by far, was HSF (Human Structure Function) which occurs in Year 2 (which was ironic since I liked Year 1 Anatomy). It effectively takes 5 separate medical school level classes - Anatomy, Biochem, Histo, Embryo, and Phys, and then runs them all in the same time frame, thru each organ system. But in order to progress thru the entire HSF series, you have to make it past each specific section (I, II, III, IV), each one only being only several weeks in length.

Because each section is only several weeks in length, there have to be enough grades in a particular section to be able to justify promoting you or holding you back, from the next section. So each lecture exam, ends up being every 2 weeks, almost on the dot, with each section having only a total of 2 or 3 lecture exams and maybe a microscope lab practical to calculate your grade. Much different than other classes you’ve had up until that point, in which your exams are about every 4 weeks, thus much more spread out thru the semester so you have more time to absorb and digest the material, and you have more grades (and thus more chances to save your grade) in which to base an average off of.

Quite a few annoyances/frustrations:[ul]
[]It’s been so long since you’ve taken Year 1 Anatomy, that you’ve pretty much forgotten a lot of the details by the time you start HSF, a year-and-a-half later.
[
]no dissection is available to you to be able to appreciate for yourself the anatomy and the orientation of structures (what’s more superficial vs. deep, what’s more lateral vs. medial, etc.), the way most medical schools in the country have their medical students learn anatomy. Instead, they had us look at specific case study prosections (meaning it’s already been dissected away by someone else so you’re only looking at the finished product) which is pretty useless when you’re trying to see how it all fits together when visualizing it in your head. They also had us go thru anatomical models in the dental school lab, which is again, pretty useless for our exams which were written paper multiple choice.

So you ended up being pretty reliant on looking at your anatomy atlas pictures, which is pretty stupid, since you’re just memorizing a particular anatomical cut on the page, and all one has to do on the real exam to trip you up, is just change the particular view/cut, which is what was done on certain questions (they would get atlas pictures from different sources, or which weren’t the exact cut being shown in your atlas, to purposefully keep you from just blindly memorizing the way the atlas picture looked, even though you had no ability to dissect to actively learn the orientation of things) - as you can imagine, very frustrating.
[]the anatomy lab days were in addition to the lectures, so many times there were things that had not been specifically taught in lectures up to that point, where we’re suddenly thrown into the lab with a lab sheet with questions, to try to be able to answer them, and there would be no actual didactic lecture to explain things or go over the right answers eventually (this was done on purpose by the faculty by the way)
[
]certain subject (Anatomy) lectures purposefully didn’t go at all by the textbook (which is way different from previous classes you’ve had up until that point), so it’s not like you could maybe try to read ahead in anyway, and whenever you asked the professors what to concentrate on more, to focus your studying (the actual lectures vs. the textbook), they’d always tell us “it’s all fair game” for the exam, as if that was in any way helpful. Realize, that the course pace goes so fast, you literally do not have time to read thru all of your class notes and the textbook several times, like you can for other courses.
[li]the use of case studies for the anatomy lab (no actual specific lecture to explain or address these cases to students), which is fine to have in theory, except we had no idea what was actually going on in the case when reading it – i.e. signs and symptoms of the patient, certain physical exam signs/maneuvers, certain medical procedures being done, and why they were being done, medical therapies, etc. since we all were only Year 2s who hadn’t even taken Clinical Skills, Path, or Pharm yet![/li]
And since the professors were PhDs, and not actual clinicians, they couldn’t really explain well what was going on in the case either. Now, you only had to know the pertinent anatomy, obviously, but the whole point of doing these case studies were to see how the anatomy you’ve learned in class actually applies in real-life clinical situations. If you can’t really understand the actual case to begin with and its clinical importance, it’s that much harder to then go further and really appreciate the underlying anatomy, without just memorizing things some more.
[]they schedule the final exam, which covers everything from HSF I to IV, literally one week after the last HSF IV exam, so surprise, surprise, the entire class does much worse on the final compared to midterm exams.
[
]there is no curving of final grades (if necessary) in terms of letter grade ranges, unlike other courses, if the class as a whole does poorly
[li]not enough use of and teaching students how to be able to read basic diagnostic imaging (X-rays, CT, MRI) since that tends to be more how Anatomy is tested on Step 1[/li][/ul]
Needless to say, there are so many things the BMS faculty could have easily done to make HSF an overall better learning experience, more fair to students as a whole. Hopefully some of the above has changed in recent years.

@Sona3599,

1. Look here under “Step 4: Reference Forms”: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/. They mention, “teachers, counselors, school administrators”, but it’s really anyone who can “speak to your academic ability and personal character” - so anyone who is comfortable filling it out who is not a family member/relative (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.) and not someone who is only a personal friend (i.e. neighbors, parents’ close friends). The most important thing is that you want them to be able to recommend you strongly in terms of specific character attributes as well as recommending you for the combined program in general: See here - http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19747096/#Comment_19747096. If you look at previous versions of the reference form, from my post above, they asked, “How long have you known the applicant?” and “In what capacity?” Thus, naturally these tend to be more from people who have gotten to know you over a longer period of time – hence teachers, counselors, principals, etc. You have to have a minimum of 3 completed for a complete student application file, but you can have maximum of 6 completed (more people doesn’t necessarily mean better).

2. Nope, there is no Early Notification deadline craziness this year. It’s just one regular deadline for all applicants as it has always been in the past: November 1, 2016: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/. Probably a good thing so that students can get in their last shots at the ACT or SAT in that last month of October.

3. The scores for the SAT taken in October will be available by October 20th: http://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-test-dates, which will be before the Nov. 1 deadline, so that won’t be a problem.

Look here:
http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/ (under “ACT/SAT Score”)
http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/apply/ (under “Step 2: Submit Transcripts & Test Scores”)

It says, “The latest test score accepted for initial application review is the October test date. October test scores are considered as “on time” for admissions consideration,” and “If a student is selected for an interview, the latest test score accepted for final review is the December test date.”

By final review, I’m assuming they’re talking about at the end, when they are tabulating everything together, including the interview portion.

1. Honestly, I have no idea what that is. The only person to have mentioned it in the thread was @sapuos: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19623953/#Comment_19623953. The only type of unofficial UMKC BA/MD application review that I’ve seen is this: https://www.apetest.org/us/latest-news/umkc-bamd-program-interview-calculator/. It’s a free calculator which opens up in August.

@Roentgen Dang that sounds rough, and its clearly UMKC’s fault as to why that course is so difficult

@Watang,

Just for the flip side of the coin, for some of my classmates, Biochem 1 was harder for them in terms of adjusting (it was our very first “real” med school basic science course, the course director for that course who taught it for decades at UMKC used to test the most rote of minutiae that the medical boards really doesn’t even emphasize anymore - he’s now finally retired recently), and the overall course content of HSF that second semester (except the Biochem parts, no surprise) just sort of “clicked” more easily with them (they still had to study of course), than the material in Biochem 1 did (I had the exact opposite experience with Biochem 1 being mostly similar to our other classes, in terms of the same old strategy of memorization, it was just more info. to memorize).

Something like the absence of dissection in HSF at UMKC is likely never going to change. The founder of the medical school, who passed away recently, did not want BA/MD students first interaction with a patient to be a dead one (a cadaver). It’s probably a philosophical decision the anatomy faculty don’t necessarily agree with, when it comes to how to learn anatomy (just as an FYI, the UMKC dental students who take Anatomy over 2 semesters with our same BMS Anatomy faculty dissect), so I guess the viewing of prosections was some sort of compromise (not a great one in my opinion).

I do think in many ways they make HSF so much more complicated and headache-inducing for students than it really needs to be. What’s really weird is that you’d think the basic science courses after HSF get much harder, but that wasn’t really the case (at least for me). Once you get to Year 3 in the fall, you’re much more adjusted to studying for med school courses, it then goes back to 1 subject per course, goes back to the much more doable testing schedule of one exam every 4 weeks/1 month, (except for Pharm, since that class is only 2 months long - another dumb idea, but at least it’s only straight Pharm, for those 2 months).

Hopefully they’ve addressed some of those areas in HSF that I mentioned, but you’ll realize as you progress thru the program, that with many problems/issues that arise, this is where having a cohesive class (it doesn’t start immediately in Year 1, but it evolves), and forming good friend/study groups can really help, since you’re going thru many of the same things together, and you don’t have to feel alone/isolated or feel like you’re the only one not “getting” it. It’s also good especially when stress levels get high and people just need to vent and blow off some much needed steam.

@Roentgen, thank you for the advice. I feel better as I wanted to enjoy my summer vacation and no even open up one book, if it’s doable in the school year.

What is one solution that you think might have made things better in that class? Are all the exams for classes paper multiple choice exams?

@GulabJamun, glad to answer your question. Year 1 Anatomy (Baby Anatomy) is definitely doable within a regular 16 week semester, as is Year 1 Micro (Baby Micro) in the spring.

By “that class”, I’m assuming you’re talking about HSF.

Here’s one particular solution that I think would help one of the areas I listed: For example, if they had soon-to-be-graduating Year 6s (and there are usually enough nice people in the class to volunteer to do this, maybe even more if they were to actually get paid) to come to the HSF lab session and explain the clinical case studies to Year 2s, who are just starting their medical education – i.e. how to systematically approach, read, and think through a clinical case to begin with (since that is how patients present to you in real life); explain what the physical exam findings in that case actually mean (since you’ve never heard certain terms as a Year 2, since you haven’t taken Clinical Skills yet) and the relevance; maybe explain why people with x particular disease might present with these specific symptoms (which again you haven’t really learned yet as a Year 2 since you haven’t taken Path yet); explain a specific medical procedure or medical therapy in this case and why it’s being done (i.e. cardiac cath, CABG, LP), etc. Once people get the case and its importance, everyone is on the same page, and you can then go on to the anatomy and how it’s relevant. Students aren’t “stupid” or “lazy”, they want to learn and they don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of time just to understand 1 case just because they don’t have the requisite knowledge yet.

Maybe you could go even further and have a Year 6 who is going for Ortho explain those particular cases in his/her field, someone going for OB-Gyn explain those particular cases, someone going for General Surgery explain the abdomen cases, etc.

It would serve several purposes:

1. Year 2 students wouldn’t feel so lost in the weeds
  2. As a Year 2, you see students who are much closer to the “light at the end of the tunnel” in the program, which serves as a great personal motivator in that second semester of the year when you’re starting to tire out.
  3. As a Year 6, you remember what it was like when you were a Year 2 and what knowledge base you were coming in with at that particular point (almost none), so you can better explain the case in a way that students can readily understand, that maybe non-clinical faculty can’t
  4. It’s good practice for residency in which you take a leadership role (which you’ll have to do as an upper level resident in your particular residency specialty)

By the way, my one example solution here that I just came up with, in less than a minute, which would potentially cost no money, is what they have done on a bigger scale at traditional medical schools, in which 4th year senior medical students (who are pretty much just sitting and waiting for the match in March) do Anatomy TA work in the course for first year med students (and get paid quite handsomely for it) – usually the ones going into surgery or surgical subspecialties, since Anatomy comes to very good use in their field.

To answer your other question, when I was there that I remember, all basic science class exams were paper based, multiple choice exams. I’ve heard recently that classes (the BMS ones) have tried to incorporate more “active learning”, “team-based learning” activities (major eyerolls) to learn the material, rather than only didactic lectures. I don’t really know how successful it has been in terms of better student performance (it’s one of those things that can be either done really well or done really poorly). That’s something you’ll have to ask upperclassmen.

For the 10 school-related activities could one list awards in competitions?

@Manu0007, nope, see here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19746927/#Comment_19746927, where I say, “*** under the description, list any honors or awards you’ve gotten for that activity, since there is no separate section for honors & awards on the application”. It has to be an activity.

@Roentgen If you have time, would you mind commenting on the weaknesses in my current resume?

SAT I:1570/1600 (CR:800 M:770)
Haven’t taken the ACT
SAT II Chem: 800
AP Macro: 5
AP Micro: 5
Waiting on AP Chem, AP Bio, and AP English Language and Composition
Senior Course Load:
English IV, AP Comp Sci, AP Physics C E&M, AP Calculus BC, Symphonic Band.
I come from Singapore, hence my 9th and 10th grade (the school only has unweighted) were spent there while I just completed junior year in the US.
Unweighted GPA (9 and 10): 3.9
Unweighted GPA (11): 3.96
Weighted GPA (11): 4.91
Top 5% of class
Junior Science Award (awarded by school)
Yale Book Award
Minerva Vanguard Award

Normal Activities
Cricket for 2 years in Singapore for my school, 2013 & 2014
- 1st place Interschool Cricket Championships, 2013
- 1st place Interschool Cricket Championships, 2014
Research Education program in 9th grade
- Certificate of Participation in A Star Science Fair, 2013
International Cultural Exchange Program with a school in Stuttgart, Germany, 2014
- Internship with German Aerospace Center (DLR), 2014
Member of Indian Cultural Club in my school in Singapore, 2013 & 2014
24 hours of community service in Singapore
- Flag Day for Make-A-Wish foundation, 2014
- Volunteer for food rationing project in a low-income neighborhood, 2014
7 hours of Community service in the US
- Environmental Club; Tree planting, mulching, and cleanups, 2015 & 2016
Attended Florida American Legion Boys State, 2016

Healthcare acitivities
— Work attachment to hospital in Singapore, 2014
— Approx. 300 hours of shadowing a bariatric surgeon, 2015
- Clinical shadowing and helping him with tasks such as preparing the syringe etc.
- Viewed endoscopies whenever possible

Ethnicity: Indian
State: Florida

Does the school have anything against people who take the SAT but don’t take the ACT?

I’ve been following this thread on and off- my daughter is to join in fall- we are having MAJOR second thoughts about this program- it’s structure, and it’s adverse impact on students health and well being. Really having doubts. Have been less than impressed with the so- called orientation, and even less impressed with the ETC- they are completely useless. Sorry, not trying to discourage anyone, just venting.

@Manu007, see my post here, under standardized test scores, http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19738185/#Comment_19738185, if you’re from Missouri (in-state)- you have to have the ACT. If you’re from outside of Missouri (regional and out-of-state) you can turn in the ACT or the SAT. So no, the school doesn’t have anything against those who turn in the SAT, as long as you are not in-state.

@srivikram

I would say your unweighted GPA and your standardized test scores are excellent. Your AP scores and your SAT II scores won’t play a role. You’re fine in this area. Your scores and GPA would put you in the running for even some of the more competitive Bachelor/MDs.

In your school ECs, I would add several clubs, even though you’re already in Band, which is impressive esp. if you have a leadership role in it of some kind, and you’ve been involved in sports in the first 2 years before you moved, but not presently. The only ECs I see for your 11th-12th seem to be Band and Environmental Club, if I’m reading correctly? You could also add a few short-term community service (non-healthcare) activities here also – Habitat for Humanity, etc.

One big weakness I do see is in your number of healthcare ECs (2) esp. those in the United States (since the point is to be familiar with the healthcare system in the United States, although your healthcare experiences in Singapore are different from other applicants and might be something you could bring up in your personal statement or in the short essays if they apply), although your # of shadowing hours of one physician are impressive. You could also shadow physicians from other specialties – outpatient private practice primary care - FM, Peds, etc. I would definitely add more healthcare ECs, see my post above: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19747021/#Comment_19747021. You can find short-term healthcare activities in your area – blood drives, cancer fundraising (Susan G. Komen, etc.), working with disabled children, or volunteering at a nursing home. You could volunteer at an adult or children’s hospital, for example. You might be able to find some easy healthcare activities in your area using the links under “Examples of Community Service/Volunteering” in my posts above. You could also get involved in medical research, which might be helpful for the more competitive Bachelor/MDs, esp. the ones in your area – Miami HPME, etc. although those require an SAT II in a math, as well as a science, the latter which you already have and did well on. Definitely really beef up this section over the summer as well as early fall until the end of October before you turn in your application.

Hi @zuchinicakes!! You aren’t discouraging anyone, and venting is perfectly ok, especially in a time in which things are changing quickly and feels like the summer is going so fast (it’s already the end of June). This thread is open for potential applicants, current students, and parents, and I don’t want people to feel like they should hold back when discussing particular aspects or issues of the application process or of the program itself. That’s what College Confidential is for - to discuss those nitty gritty things that go beyond just what you read on school websites and in brochures. I’m sure it feels like a lot of things are being dropped on you guys a once with your daughter soon to go off to college, so I can fully understand the legitimate angst on your part, as well as your daughter (My family and I had butterflies as well).

In Years 1-2, they usually have it to where one person is the Year 1 ETC and another person is the Year 2 ETC. One of the ETCs just started in February so she is starting new and learning the ropes. That being said, luckily there are very few things a Year 1 ETC can f’ up (pardon my french) just because so much of a Year 1 BA/MD student’s schedule is already set – Year 1 Docent, Med Term, LBMS, Anatomy, etc. Don’t expect the ETCs to know everything. They most likely won’t. Policies change at UMKC, both at the university and med school level. I would say the best trait to have in an ETC is one that can say, “You know, I don’t know, but I will definitely find out and let you know the answer” (after which they either call you or email you once they’ve found out). That’s so much better than an ETC who will give wrong information or is afraid to say they don’t know (medicine is similar in many ways).

Obviously I haven’t been to orientation in a while, although it would be nice to hear from more parents & incoming students what was actually discussed or any concerns they may have had after orientation, so I have a better idea how to respond to give some more context that might not have been said.

You can see my and others’ response to the orientation packet from last year that was posted, starting here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/18669909/#Comment_18669909. There is also a student handbook which was from this past year here: http://med.umkc.edu/docs/sa/MD_Handbook_2015-2016.pdf which might explain more things. I looked at the Orientation packet from this year (it is pretty much the same from last year): http://med.umkc.edu/docs/sa/Summer_Orientation.pdf.

The thing with this program is that A LOT of personal milestones are all happening at the same time - going to college, moving out of the house, starting med school, etc. So it’s hard not to be somewhat nervous, no matter what, esp. when you do find out more about the program thru orientation that you might have not picked up on otherwise. That orientation could be several days long and it still probably wouldn’t cover every nitty-gritty of the medical school and the program. I think also the administration doesn’t want to feel like it’s completely overloading Year 1 students with a fire hydrant of all this information that isn’t going to be of immediate use to them – i.e. USMLEs, Year 5 rotations, research, etc. and could just result in raising up stress levels for no reason. There’s quite a bit to cover in a one day orientation, so something being left out is much more likely.

What specifically concerned you or your daugher after attending orientation or about the program itself? I think it would be helpful to everyone as I can assure you that you’re NOT the only one with those concerns. I can give my vantage point and address some of them. If you feel it’s too identifying in nature, you can always PM me as well. I can give a workable solution so both of you don’t feel you have to make a decision impulsively.

Thanks @Roentgen . You have been a great mentor to these kids on this thread.
To try to summarize- the orientation was lumped together with UMKC undergrad orientation, which I felt was a disservice, as the 6 year students are going thru an entirely different program that deserves its own orientation. They did have some Med students talk to us, but it felt like they were coached to only present positives. One of the physicians who spoke said- don’t expect your kid to be home for Labor Day weekend, don’t book any vacations until 2 weeks before, as they may have a test, or something booked and their schedules may change. Who books a vacation 2 weeks before going? That really rubbed us the wrong way. He also said they will have a test in 2 weeks of joining. I could feel everyone in the room getting tense. They didn’t give us a schedule of holidays etc. I know they don’t get the same as undergrad, but then why give us an orientation with them?
The ETC acted like she can’t be bothered to take care of questions. Actually, her attitude was the same since March when the results were announced. I would call her with questions or concerns and she would act like I was bothering her…hello, this is your job. We are paying a LOT of money for this program. Don’t make me wait 2 days for an email response. and then behave like I’m putting you out. I have been very respectful, and certainly did not call daily or 10 times a day. Everyone just acted like they are doing us a favor…
The last thing is- as it gets closer, I’m really worried about the course load. Yes everyone tells you it is an intense program, but I worry it’s too taxing. Are these kids really happy? Are they thriving, or always on the edge of a breakdown at any given moment? Is it healthy? I know they make a big point of telling you about the wellness program, but I doubt how much they really care about these kids wellbeing. I wish we would hear more on this thread from current students that are in the program who can really give an honest feedback with being anonymous message board. I don’t think the Facebook group is accomplishing that, as students are likely afraid to give their honest feedback…
Again so sorry to vent, and I do not mean to discourage anyone else who is happy about their choice…

Thanks @zuchinicakes!! I’m happy to help in any way I can and give my perspective and hindsight.

A lot in-staters are probably driving from their home town/city to Kansas City for orientation. Those outside of Missouri are likely to be flying in and possibly staying at a motel/hotel, maybe even renting a car. I think part of the thinking is that they don’t keep people too long as a lot of people just want to go back home to enjoy summer vacation (a big motivator to people coming is that until you go to Orientation, your account is put on hold when it comes to registering for classes). Not everyone has a relative that lives in the KC metro area so they would have to pay an extra day (so another day of staying at a hotel and another day of renting a car - which can be quite expensive depending on where you stay and where you rent from). I do agree on the logistics of what you are saying though, they would probably be just better off to have one day in which BA/MD students can attend with all the rest of the incoming freshmen – maybe check out the Volker campus in its entirety, the facilities, etc. And once that is fully done, the next day go to the orientation specifically for BA/MD students. The truth of the matter is, and Year 1s will figure this out quickly, that we’re not like the “regular” undergrads when it comes to our curriculum and how things are structured. It’s really not a bragging thing, it’s just the reality. Just keep in mind though that even with the best of orientations, it won’t cover all the nitty gritty. It’s kind of a balancing act of keeping students/parents attention and not put people to sleep, while also hitting all the high points and getting the required stuff out of the way (i.e. registering for classes), and serving more as a springboard to getting to know the university/med school better which students delve into much more once they’re actually enrolled.

I am guessing that the medical students that talked with you guys are the Year 2 peer mentors: http://med.umkc.edu/sa/peer-mentors/ (this is a little dated, but it does show what they do in their entirety). The peer mentors job according to the website is to “help answer your questions, orient you to UMKC and Kansas City, and provide you with helpful information as you are making your transition to the School of Medicine”: http://med.umkc.edu/accepted_offline/peer-mentors/. The peer mentors’ jobs don’t just end at Orientation, but work throughout academic school year with the current Year 1s, to help with the school’s retention efforts - i.e. if there is something easily fixable or for which there is a solution (for which the student may not know there is one), for someone who may be thinking about leaving the program. They probably won’t go into the negatives outright necessarily, just because everyone has already made their decision to come here, so it’s more like ok, what do we do now to go from here and approach this head on, rather than maybe leaving things on a slightly more negative note. Hope that makes a little bit of sense (If it doesn’t, I’m happy to try to explain further). The much bigger use of the peer mentors for Year 1s can be used to answer the MANY questions that Year 1s will ask: What do I need to bring from home to the dorms? Where should I get my books? How do I approach this class and that class? What undergraduate class are one of the easier ones that I can use to fulfill my undergraduate degree, how do I sign up for classes, what majors can I do?, etc. The list of things a Year 1 can ask is pretty endless as it’s often a mix of academic and non-academic things.

I am actually quite surprised about the comment that was made regarding not expecting your kid to be home for that Labor Day weekend. I remember Year 1 quite well, and we all left for Labor Day weekend, especially those of us who weren’t from Missouri, since it was the first extended holiday for all of us that fall semester. In fact, it even says in the handbook, that Year 1 & 2 (yes, it’s 2015-2016 but it’s literally the same every year), follows the UMKC Volker campus academic calendar quite closely. You can see on Page 58 here: http://med.umkc.edu/docs/sa/MD_Handbook_2015-2016.pdf, under section, “Vacation Time” and it kinds of shows you per year how vacation works. Now in later years, like in Years 4-6, that may not be the case, but at least as a Year 1 this wasn’t true at all. The schedule of holidays on the Volker campus is already set which you can see here on the academic calendar: http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/acal.asp. So Labor Day, Thanksgiving Week, etc. My guess is they’re just doing is what is called “CYA” protocol, where in the past, students skipped out early of a required component of a course without telling and then expecting to be given leeway or they whine and complain when they say they’ve already gotten plane flights scheduled. When I was there, every course (this includes your Medicine courses as well - Docent, Med Term, and LBMS) had a syllabus which lays out class procedure, class schedule, exact days of midterm exams, finals, all due dates for assignments, etc. I know that the Docent course now has a lecture component every Friday afternoon (why they chose to have it on a late Friday afternoon, when people can get an early start to their weekend or go home is beyond me). But anyways, you pretty much know the exact dates of things and if it comes to worst, none of us were afraid to directly ask or email during the first few weeks of classes, if there was anything scheduled before a holiday so we knew when to go home/schedule a plane flight, etc.

What exam are they talking about after only 2 weeks of school administered by the School of Medicine? Is it a standardized exam or one for a specific course? Let me know, so I can kind of guess what the point is (if there is one).

That’s a shame with the ETC. My guess is the person is inundated with questions from a student and/or their parent then multiply that with the entire class of ~120 people. That can be a lot to wade through before even starting the work day with meetings and what not. One thing I would say is that email is the best route to get in contact with the ETCs by far. Things like what to bring to the dorms, bringing a car, blah blah that are more non-school/non-academic policy related in nature can probably be better asked of the Peer Mentors in which you’ll get a better response (since they are closer to the age which your child is at). Everyone has a UMKC email and is expected to go thru it. The phone system is still bleh, and in this day in age, who wants to leave a message on an answering machine that can be erased without a trace? Also, YOU don’t do it, your daughter should do it. If it’s one thing that annoys the administration more than anything is when a parent calls on their child’s behalf when the child is the one who is enrolled in college and is a legal adult. It doesn’t mean that you can’t be involved at all, but at least the initial point of contact should be the student. Several benefits: 1) the student learns to take responsibility, stand up for themselves, be involved in their own education, 2) it’s taken more seriously since the student is the one one officially enrolled in the system, and 3) it’s an important life skill, which it does takes some practice for all of us. You can see what the job of an ETC is on page 38 of the handbook link above under “Education Team Coordinator”, but it’s more academic housekeeping (for lack of a better term), although the student will sign up for classes themselves, etc. They’re also to point you in the right direction when it comes to certain resources (i.e. research, student organizations), which you also learn from the handbook and peer mentors. It’s a hard habit to break to not fly in to be SuperDad/SuperMom, but trust me, it will to your daughter’s benefit, I promise (which reminds me to add that to my Google Doc in the thread!)

@zuchinicakes,

Intensity - So I think your concerns and questions regarding the intensity of the curriculum are very legitimate ones, especially as a parent. It’s hard to really know how “intense” it is until you’ve partly gone thru it, esp. with no official summer breaks in the program. It’s also hard to be able to extrapolate beforehand for whom the curriculum will be very intense, for whom it will be hard, for whom it will be ok, and for whom it will be just plain miserable (after 6 years, no one will say it’s easy. At best, they’ll say it’s do-able. lol) I really wish we could have even more current students also contribute to this thread too!!! Would be even nicer if it was spread out over the Years from 1-6, just so parents and applicants get a huge variety of views. All this being said, there are MANY resources available in which students should take advantage of: Peer Mentors, Wellness program, Supplemental Instruction (all of us went to this in Year 1 Anatomy just because we’re all at the dorms anyways), private tutoring which they’ve now started up, the Wellness initiative. The latter two they have now tried to expand for all basic science classes. I do agree with you about the official Facebook class page. It’s likely not going to be a source of unvarnished opinions for students. It’s most likely run by the peer mentors to keep in contact with students. Keep in mind certain classes are Pass/Fail – Year 1 & 2 Docent, Med Term – they contribute whatever number of credit hours in terms of timings per week, but in terms of work outside of it, it’s not as much as say like your letter graded classes.

So the reason the administration is bringing up the wellness program is because medical students (in general) can be pretty bad in terms of track record when it comes to taking care of themselves physically, mentally, and spiritually/emotionally (many may feel or get the idea that being miserable or suffering is just “part of being a medical student”, “part of being a physician”, or that they should just “suck it up” and “deal with it”, etc.). The AAMC has decided to (finally) address this important issue and part of that is medical schools taking a role to address this, since medical students go on to become residents who will take care of patients, so it’s important for students to have good ways to cope and effectively deal with stress and like any other skill, it’s a LEARNED skill. Contrary to what may be popular belief it’s not a skill you are born with. Another reason they mention the wellness initiative is that millenials, in general, are pretty bad about asking for help when things start going badly. Maybe they feel embarassed or feel like only THEY have a particular problem (9 times out of 10 this is not true), so they don’t ask for help initially, or they ask when it’s too late.

Course Load - So I think the course load varies depending on how much incoming credit you are coming in with as a freshman (AP/IB/CLEP testing, dual credit/college/university transfer credit) and which specific major you choose specifically for your Bachelor’s degree – BA in Liberal Arts, BA in Biology, or BA in Chemistry, with each one except I think Liberal Arts, requiring a specific set of required incoming credit. Because we only take undergraduate courses in very specific semesters in the 6 year curriculum - Year 1 fall, Year 1 spring, Year 2 summer, Year 2 fall, and one semester during Year 4 (fall, spring, or summer) to finish your degree up. The other semesters in which you are not doing undergraduate coursework: Year 2 spring, Year 3, most of Year 4, Year 5, and Year 6, everyone is take the same required courses/rotations, although likely in different order in Years 4-6. You also have the opportunity to CLEP out of classes over Years 1-2 which can lighten the courseload even further, which many of us did – i.e. CLEP Psych, etc.