UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Accepted with less than stellar stats! I’m giving up my spot and I’m instate :slight_smile:

My daughter - Regional got in from IL
ACT - 35
GPA - 3.98/4.0 (unweighted)
School doesn’t rank. But will be in the Top 1% of 750+ graduating seniors from one of the well recognized schools from suburban Chicago;
11 AP’s (4’s and 5’s taken so far)
Tons of Volunteer work
NHS Executive Board
Shadowing Doctors
Mini Medical School (Attended as well volunteered subsequently)
Medical Workshops (may be no big deal!)
Only focused applications to integrated Medical programs;

Spanish Honor Society
Indian Classical Dancer
Indian Classical Singer
Various Accolades;

Ethnicity: Asian Indian

Thank you UMKC Medical Admissions board!

I’m really curious as to why people are turning down the UMKC offer (outside of offers from better combined BS/MD programs). Anyone care to comment?

super expensive out of state!
this link is a stats result for 2017 btw
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1973823-bs-md-results-for-class-of-2017.html#latest

@umkcquestionmark I have a friend who’s a year 3 student in the program and he highly recommended me to consider other options. I haven’t heard great things about the program in general, but that’s up to interpretation. I didn’t apply to any other BS/MD programs so I’ll be taking to traditional route to an MD but I’m 100% up for the challenge and the amazing opportunities leading to medical school.

DocToBe099 - Can you let us know your stats. Thanks.

Thanks for the response! Was there anything in particular he mentioned to you that seriously deterred you? I’m having a hard time saying no to the guaranteed spot in a U.S. allopathic medical school, but like you said I haven’t heard anything overwhelmingly positive about the program either.

hey everybody!! I started a group me for the class of 2023, if you want to join please message me with your name and number :slight_smile:

Congrats to all who got in. Our daughter is OOS and wait listed. Does anyone have an idea if there are chances for OOS wait listed candidates and by what time frame we would know?

She has undergrad admissions at WashU, Rice, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill - honors college, UVA and Michigan. Wondering if there is a realistic chance at UMKC.

Roentgen! Really appreciate all your comments and expert advice.

@umkcquestionmark, I think a lot of it has to do with total cost (esp. at regional/out-of-state levels, but it’s also expensive at the in-state level too since you pay a School of Medicine rate the entire time you’re in the program) vs. what you are actually getting in terms of educational quality/value/school reputation & prestige. UMKC being a lower-tier, if not bottom-tier, medical school also doesn’t help. You’d be surprised by how many people turn down the BA/MD offer not due to offers from other combined BS/MD programs, just because of valid concerns about the structure/curriculum/pace of the program.

@iamreen, usually they have an official UMKC Med Facebook group for the class started, but I believe they have now shifted it to May 1 (as they did last year) when people have to officially decide by which then people who matriculate can join.

You’re welcome @knoxappa, any waitlist stuff will be done after May 1, once they know who has decided to matriculate and then they have to look at how many spots they have to fill off of the waitlist.

To those who have gotten acceptances and are deciding between this program and other programs, or are deciding between this program and going the traditional undergrad route, here is what I pasted last year, so you can make an informed decision by May 1:

1. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19465273/#Comment_19465273
  2. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19465274/#Comment_19465274

Contrary to what you may think, there isn’t a right answer as to whether you should accept or not, but at least you can get to the point of making an informed decision that is right for you.

Folks, I see quite a few negative comments regarding the program. Please understand every program will have negatives (cons as well as pros). But based on the visit to the campus in Sept 2016 with my daughter as well as personal family friend’s daughter who is in the program (graduating this year but taking a year off for research lined up already in Chicago as well at Kansas city), as well other friends who had relatives graduate in the previous years, overall opinion it’s an excellent program if you or your child is totally determined to be a Doctor. Yes, I heard 3rd year is rough as you are in Med School in a short time frame compared to the traditional route and one has to work hard. This will be the case if one goes into traditional Medical route as well in the 1st or 2nd year of their Med School. So, if you are a parent wondering, best advice is to support your child and keep a good close relationship on a ongoing basis to support them in their tough times.
Most of the integrated programs comes with a catch (including maintaining high GPA) as well as MCAT requirements. But this program is more relaxed with no MCAT as well as average GPA one any how has to maintain to be in the Medical school.

Good luck to all and don’t get discouraged by negatives posted in this thread! In our case, as far we see our daughter is very determined to be a Dr. We will support her at all cost in achieving her ambitions.

Most of these children who gets into this program are already high achieving and highly talented.

Has any one heard about merit based scholarships from UMKC? I don’t see any mention of any financial aid proposal as other schools have provided yet from UMKC. Any thoughts or any one received any merit based scholarship from UMKC with BA/MD admission? Thanks!

Hi guys! I can post about my stats. I’m OOS (NY) and got in.

Indian Male
ACT: 34
GPA: 4.00 (Unweighted)
9 AP’s (4s and 5s)
Volunteering: 400+ hours with a surgical rehab center and 300+ at a religiously affiliated organization.
Medical/Science Experience: 2 years in a public health and medicine program at a nearby medical college. Also performed research and participated in a study alongside a mentor in the field.
LOR/References: Probably very good and even got one from my research mentor which probably made the difference.
Extracurriculars: Running (both school affiliated and individual races), Chess (competed in amateur tournaments)
Focused mainly on med programs and Ivy’s but as the application process went on, I’m not too sure I want to go through a direct program.

Thanks for reading!

@WGSK88,

With all due respect, this thread, which has been going on since 2004, is to avidly discuss the combined BA/MD program at UMKC, whether that be positive, negative, or neutral. There’s a reason that this forum is called College Confidential. It’s so that students (and parents too) can more confidentially discuss issues beyond just what can be found on university websites, university brochures, and other documentation you can easily get from the admissions office, to really find out more about the program and about students’ experiences going thru the program. Essentially it’s to find out if the reality of the program/college really matches up to the rhetoric. I do agree with you that all combined programs will have positives and negatives, and that’s never been a debatable point here. The more important thing is for applicants to understand WHAT exactly those positives and negatives are (which can be hard to figure out at age 18 what all of them are, or even have a real understanding of them), as well as keeping in mind what you’re compromising on by specifically going this particular route at UMKC (vs. going to another combined program or the traditional route). If you’re ok with those compromises, then great! But if you’re not sure or some of those compromises are just too much or way too soon, all the more reason to find those things out now, rather than much later.

If you have positives about the program you wish to discuss on the thread that’s perfectly ok. I think the proper way to convey that is talking about specifics of the program you think are positives and discussing them with others here. We’ve had this happen several times, in the past, of people who come on a thread voluntarily to discuss the program and then tell others on the thread not to talk what they perceive as negative or about the realities of the program that they don’t deem as being positive enough (not referring to you here).

To say that this program overall, which runs all 6 years and has no official summers off, is “relaxed” really does applicants a huge disservice. At best I would say that’s naïve, and at worst, I would say it’s disingenuous. I should know as I’ve actually gone thru and graduated from the program successfully. While things have changed somewhat (which is why I have recommended that people talk to as many current students, especially those higher up in the program, and those who have graduated from the program as possible, whether face-to-face, phone, or thru Facebook), overall the same themes have stayed relatively the same in terms of the stresses. Students realize quickly that many of the stresses that are perceived in the traditional route, which disappear in this particular combined program, are replaced by different stresses which can be higher stakes.

Students are also very much free to talk with the UMKC Med admissions office to find out particular details about the combined program, as well as to possibly get in contact with current students enrolled who are willing to go out of their way to share their experiences. Remember, you already have the acceptance in hand, so now students should be making sure they have all the information and details at their fingertips to make an informed decision, with guiding and loving parental support.

In terms of the MCAT, as I’ve mentioned before, the pathway to becoming a physician is one in which you will take NUMEROUS standardized exams, ones which are much more high stakes than the MCAT. Removal of 1 hoop, doesn’t necessarily make the later hoops easier to jump through. While it’s fine that you are able to support your daughter “at all costs” in achieving her ambitions, the truth of the matter is many families are not in your blessed position, especially in an era of skyrocketing higher education costs. Every family has a finite amount of money they are able to allocate to their child’s education so finding out every nook and cranny about the program is important and I think this thread helps in that endeavor.

Here are the scholarships the School of Medicine offers which you can see here: http://med.umkc.edu/sa/finance/som_scholarships/. You can also go to the university financial aid page for School of Medicine students here: http://finaid.umkc.edu/health-professional/school-of-medicine/.

We have a daughter in nearing the end of year 3 and she absolutely loves it. We are in state and she knew she wanted to be a doctor coming out of high school and the choice has been very good for her thus far. The curriculum is challenging but not unreasonable in her view. It is an individual choice obviously and not for everyone but there is a fairly negative slant on here and just thought I would pass along that my daughters experience and several of her friends has been positive. She has really enjoyed the clinic experience this year ( year 3) and really likes her docent doctor. Overall very positive with no regrets for her to date.

@DocToBe099 congrats to you and everyone who have been accepted to UMKC!!! However, I’m just a little bit puzzled to hear that you you are going to be passing up your UMKC offer and yet you didn’t apply to other BS/MD programs. Seems like a lot of work to go through to take the traditional route.

Anyhow, I’m sure you giving up your seat will make someone else very happy! good luck to you.

To everyone who is deciding, I’m in the program and I also love it. Is it a lot of work? yes of course but I already knew what I was getting myself into. UMKC’s program is also different (in a good way) from other BS/MD programs because the med school curriculum is integrated right from the get go whereas it’s more separated at other programs.

I agree with @stlbos1 . So far no regrets!

Waitlisted, OOS, 35 ACT, 3.94 UW GPA.

Anyone know how big the waitlist is for OOS? Or the OOS yield? From what I’ve heard, at least a couple people make it in from the WL every year for OOS. I’m really hoping to get in! All of us WL’ed applicants would really appreciate if accepted students that have already made their decision could please inform UMKC so the WL can move faster :slight_smile:

Good luck to everyone in making your decisions! And congrats to those accepted :slight_smile:

@ffffxxors fortunately all waitlists here at UMKC have some movement although not likely until after May 1st.

However, the OOS typically has the least movement but on the plus side, I think it is also the smallest. hang in there.

@ffffxxors, just FYI, the waitlist process doesn’t move any “faster” just because people give their decisions earlier. Applicants have until May 1st (the national date for universities/colleges) to reach their own decision on their acceptance. Only after that date does UMKC Med then take a look at their three separate waitlists for in-state, regional, and out-of-state to be used to fill their remaining spots, if necessary. How far the school has to go down each waitlist varies from year to year.