UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Roentgen … I am just addressing you. As you are the most person we like to talk, as you are giving all answers whatever we asks. But some another may answer this, if they can.
So…we know in-state pool will be total 65 students, may we please know…, why UMKC is initially extending admission offers to more than 65 students, keeping in mind some one will reject there offers? And they are also not giving exact numbers, to how much they send offers?
So…if they send offers to 70 or 75 students, offers of admission and what happen if all 70 or 75 students select their offer?
And after this, comes to waitlist, and waitlist students just keeps waiting (without knowing their rank on waitlist).

And to come off from in-state waitlist is really too hard?

I am searching all old posts and getting very less posts who get offers from wait list from in-state.
Please pardon my language. This waiting time is so much…

@15match, see here to see how the waitlist process works after May 1:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22120983/#Comment_22120983

If all in-state students who are given a BA/MD offer accept their offer, then there would be no one taken off the waitlist for that particular applicant pool. In-state, regional, out-of-state are separate pools.

You can see the BA/MD FAQs here:
http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/faqs/

“How many students will enter the B.A./M.D. program each year? How many students are from Missouri?”

“The incoming class will be 110 – 115 students, with 60-65 students admitted from the state of Missouri, 30-35 students admitted from the regional states (Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska or Oklahoma) and 10-15 students admitted from out-of-state.”

You can see the percentage of each applicant pool that contributes to the entering Year 1 class here: http://med.umkc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/pie_chart.png

So…it’s almost end of May, 2nd. Did anyone hear from in-state waitlist pool? Thanks.

My daughter (admitted in-state) heard from her friend who was waitlisted in-state. Her friend got off the waitlist and has admission.

Congratulations to Her friend! Thank You for update, @bak2mom.
We are patiently waiting…for my daughter’s turn. Today is new sunshine and new hopes…!

waiting for that precious email of Admission which will change life…May 7 , today is going to end.
Did anyone get lucky… from in-state, regions or Out of state pools?? We need more and more prayers and well wishes.

Did you find out whether last year of high school be considered missouri resident if high school is completed there in the last year? Appreciate your response. Thanks

FYI - For Future Applicants:

Got email on Friday (06/14/19) - all seats are taken for class of 2025. No more offers will be made from wait list.

ACT - 36
GPA - 3.96/4.0 & 4.647 (Weighted GPA) - Top 2% of 670+ students - School doesn’t rank
12 AP Courses
Shadowing
Leadership positions
Volunteering
Sister is doing Extremely well - started 3rd year in the Program last month.
Indian American Male
Regional From Illinois.

@Roentgen What does the ACT score look like for 2020 Admissions? Just an idea…Im getting a 29 constantly and am not sure how to bring it up…thats the only place Im lacking , whereas my GPA, leadership, research and volunteer requirements are met…Im so frustrated…

What are my chances of getting in?
ACT - 29
UNWEIGHTED GPA - 3.83
WEIGHTED GPA - 3.93
Taken 5 AP Courses
Taken 2 College Course
VARSITY TENNIS
STUDENT COUNCIL PRESIDENT
VOLUNTEERED AT HOSPITAL
OUT OF STATE - IOWA
Graduating Early as a JUNIOR.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW

@vikash2k2 - From your username it looks you are most likely an Indian American Male! It’s indeed a long shot based on your profile but who am I to say that? We went with so much confidence for my son to get into the program this year but only very much disappointed that he didn’t make it. Tough lesson learned - never put all your eggs in one basket.

I am not sure whether Indian American Girls have higher chances vs Indian American boys? It looks like based on experience, Indian American Boys have higher bar compared to Indian American Girls. May be due to priority given to STEM (though medical field is not fully considered STEM as there is only few components) related fields to Girls - which might be the case!

Try to get research experience if you can, though it looks late but still you have time to do some research till Nov 1 being the deadline for applying. Also, shadowing. Try to also improve your ACT score to at least - lower 30’s.

Good luck. Apply but definitely have other BA/MD program options!

Yes. I am an Indian boy. I have done volunteering at the local hospital. Can u clarify what “Research” means and what is my likelyhood of being accepted? I am very community involved but what is weighted the most even though they all have the same weight? Thanks

@vikash2k2 - I meant - do some medical research if you can. This will help in other BA/MD programs you apply, if not at UMKC. It’s a million dollar question, how they select Indian Americans into this program?

Last year, I had posted in this group, who gets into this program is beyond one’s control, only thing you can do is do your best and hope for the best. Certainly luck is a big component as well.

Where is @Roentgen 2019 match list analysis? I look forward to this every year

Hey @lolzers, I had to write it up again as my computer went out on me, so I’ll get it up this week (it was already passed May 1st anyways, so figured it would be pointless then). I will say this year’s UMKC match list is actually weaker, compared to prior years (both in terms of breadth of specialties and program institutions matched into for individual specialties), but I’ll go into more detail in my post as to why that is when I put it up. If you have any specific questions about the 2019 match list, I’m happy to answer them in the meantime.

I don’t do chances anywhere…but I’m going to give two pieces of free advice.

1. Retake the ACT. A 29 isn’t going to get you accepted.
  2. Don’t graduate early. Take the additional year to improve your not so stellar GPA.

Hello, @Roentgen
I’m apply for the program this fall. I was wondering if you can dm me, please.

@Roentgen where’s the match list analysis? Still looking forward to it

Hi. I’ve been reading this CC forum for quite a while now and have just now recently made an account. I’ve had some mixed signals about UMKC’s BA/MD program but after thoroughly reading through this thread, I am having a more positive view on this program. I will be applying in next fall (fall of 2020), and I want to know what my chances are in getting in as I am a junior right now. I am a Nigerian/Caribbean female:
GPA: 4.0 UW, I don’t know what it is W
Class Rank: 1 of 300
ACT: 26 currently (retaking it throughout the year)
SAT: 1040 first try (might retake)
AP BIO: dual credit
AP Chem, AP Stats for my senior year
PLTW for medical courses

ECs:
Varsity track since 9th grade
Spanish club officer
HOSA competing member
NHS this fall
100 hrs of shadowing at the hospital
Work at my parent’s private clinic
Medical summer programs at Yale last year, and earned an undergrad credit at Johns Hopkins Medical School Intensive camp this summer

Awards
2x perfect attendance
4x academic conference

This is just from the top of my head.

And I forgot to mention that I am very good with people AND I am instate