UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

its not meant to be

honestly, places such as Brown, Northwestern, and caltech probably have way better programs. of course i didn’t consider these because i wasn’t considering accelerated programs at all. as far as i am concerned, thats too easy and i don’t do easy

fine, i do have a low opinion of accelerated med programs, especially programs that have nothing to recommend them

i am sure other people who applied to the programs as a safety (it was my absolute safety fortunately i got into washu, johns hopkins, and yale) have these concerns too

actually umkc som is considered to be one of the best clinical medical schools in the country. Many residency directors look favorably upon umkc grads because they know that they have a lot of clinical experience as well as the knowledge. Other medical schols like Yale, and Northwestern emphasize the bookish aspect of med while umkc emphasizes both the academics and the clinical side. So I recommend UMKC but if you feel that its bad just because it doesn’t have name recognition then its up to u. Keep in mind that the cirriculum at UMKC is not easy like you said. Just because someone has awesome grades doesn’t mean anything in med schools. All that proves is that you can take tests well and turn in hw. This is coming from someone who does have awesome grades. In med school grades are only a minor part of the cirriculum especially at umkc. Besides if you want to go to medical school you shouldn’t have that grade mindset but you should want to learn and have experience.

Selena
What kind of motivation is money for going into medicine? Bluedevilmike has a ton of useful posts explaining why going to medical school isn’t the best way to “do better than your parents.” Go where you’ll feel happiest. If you’re not going to be happy with the environment at UMKC, don’t go. Honestly though, be happy with the choices you have. I would have loved to go to UMKC or Wash U, but got rejected at both.

Any thoughts on what computer would be best for this program?

kylek044: I don’t think there’s a “right” computer for this program. you should get the computer that will fit your personal needs, knowing how you tend to use a computer to study, and for whatever else you’ll be using your computer. If you’re trying to decide between a desktop and a laptop, keep in mind that you may end up studying in more places than just your dormroom, you may get online assignments for your classes, and you may want to type up notes in class as the professor lectures. If you bring a laptop, you’ll probably want a laptop lock for the dorms.

cookiefariy, my parents were wondering how many times will we be able to come home in a year? Thanks.

coldg44: Where are you from? My classmates who live locally or in KS or MO go home almost as often as they like. I don’t go home nearly as often, as I’m from TX. For the 2007-2008 school year (my Year 3), I went home for a weekend for my birthday, a few days at Thanksgiving, 3 weeks for winter break, and now I’ll get 2 weeks at home for summer. If I weren’t doing all the extracurriculars I’m doing, I might have been able to go home a weekend more here or there. Other than that, my parents came up to visit me twice this past school year.

The times I go home are limited in that I consider my time at home vacation, a break from school, and probably won’t study. That means I won’t plan to go home weekends before tests, because I know it will be hard for me to study then. You may be different in this aspect.

I’m from Chicago. So am i safe to say that I can go home roughly 5 times a school year?

sure. but u of course won’t know for sure until it actually happens. when i was a year 1, my upperclassmen tried to encourage me to not go home as much (not that i necessarily listened to them), as you’ll need to create your own support system/family of friends here in KC in order to help keep you going.

hey i heard that people that got rejected for the direct out of high school program, can still apply after 1-2 years of college? if anyone has done that, can they please message me, and congratz to everyone that got in:)

I have a question for those who got accepted off the waitlist, did u guys get a call, an email or a letter??

not to be mean or disrespectful, but a 6 year program is kinda pushing it in terms of stress/academics, college is supposed to be a great experience that shouldnt be rushed in 2 years, while I am for combined medical programs, I think 7-8 year ones allow more time for opportunities, and I hear the success rate is not that high as many drop out for many reasons…just my 2 cents

is it true that there’s morning, afternoon, and evening classes and so there’s only 2 weeks of summer break? whoa

dermachick - it was an e-mail followed up with a packet in the mail

No one has still answered my question:

Can high school seniors apply to the 6 year program in the summer, and how many people in this position get interviewed/accepted?
and what are the major req. for out of state including ACT/GPA/Rank is that END Of JUNIOR year or SENIOR year?

Well Docnerd, I’m not in the program yet but here’s what I think.

A 6 year combined med program is for those who are serious about getting their M.D. The drop out rate may be because the students simply realized that medicine is not for them. My goal is to get a M.D. and become a doctor. I’ve known this for as long as I can remember and will work to whatever extent I need to achieve that. 6 year combined med programs allow students to focus on the long-term goal, with no added pressure of MCAT or any of the extra-curricular medical activities that need to be done during pre-med.

I’m pretty sure that at least for the first few years, the students have more than 2 weeks summer break. They get at least some time off for winter, spring break, some summer vacation and all. And who said that no one there is not having a great college experience? I know lots of people who went there and are currently in the program who loved it there. They said the program really kept their drive for medicine and they are successful doctors today.

And the students also take classes other than their program requirements too. I simply think that this 6-year program is for those students who are really dedicated and willing to work for the M.D.

I hope that made sense or clarified some points. :slight_smile:

Docnerd - the reason no one answered your questions is because you’re obviously ■■■■■■■■ the board. Read the school’s website and it will answer all of your questions. Then, other posts (like the ones by Cookiefairy) have answered your questions before you even asked them. Use the search feature.

Obviously, you get accepted based on your stats up until the point of your application. Since applications are due early November, that means the grades are really only going to be junior year and first quarter of senior year. You can apply as soon as the application for the current year becomes available. Since admissions for the program is not rolling, there is technically no preference given if you get your application in early… but it definitely couldn’t hurt to show that you are so interested in the school that you got your application in ASAP.

To answer your previous question, the web site also talks about an MD-only program. This is one which you can apply to after you have a certain number of college credits, just like regular medical school. Unfortunately, you need a bachelor’s degree to practice medicine in almost every, if not every, state in the US. To me, the appeal of UMKC is that its a 6 year program that includes both degrees. I don’t know that UMKC would still be appealing to someone pursuing the traditional route.

While I understand the enthusiasm and drive that people have to become Dr’s, a lot of college students and older people told me that most kids don’t know exactly what they want to do as high school seniors, they are not old enough to explore anything and get stuck into something they liked but while some may be truly in it to become a Dr., one cannot imagine where else these students that didn’t look at other careers could have become…

and UMKC seems like a great school, but still I think 6 years is a rush but still if I got in, I would really have to talk to a lot of people and visit since it seems like a decent program

lol I also hate how UMKC has diff. requirements for out of state and in-state students since most programs have same reqs for both types of students…its stupid since a person from MO with lower stats may get in while a person with higher stats from another state will not get in…they should just make it in-state only then like UIC’s…just my 2 cents

If you want to be a doctor, would it be stupid to turn up this program to go do just a normal undergrad somewhere else?