UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Just out of curiosity, kbbriggs and smartnab19, why is UMKC your “dream school”? I ask that as kbbriggs you said, “UMKC’s 6-year Med program is my all time dream school” and smartnab19 you said, “my life long dream is to get into UMKC”. Why is UMKC your dream school vs. other combined Bachelor/MD programs?

Also, I’m assuming that since it’s your “dream school”, you have actually visited the UMKC School of Medicine campus, right?

For those who will be applying this coming fall, please print out this year’s application to start filling out and get ready so you are fully prepared:
<a href=“http://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/2009MedApplication.pdf[/url]”>http://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/2009MedApplication.pdf&lt;/a&gt;

The only mistake is on the application it says:

I’m pretty sure this is incorrect bc if you look here: [Six-year</a> Program Application Requirements](<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/six-year_application.html]Six-year”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/six-year_application.html)

Please see Posts 1721 and 1722 to see the Liberal Arts degree or the Biology (B.A.) degree as examples. Other options are Chemistry (B.A.), Communications, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology: [choosing</a> a major<a href=“see%20the%20bottom%20of%20the%20page%20to%20see%20what%20you%20should%20try%20to%20get%20credit%20in”>/url</a>

If you decide you want to do another specific major at UMKC (Business Administration, etc.) you usually have to meet with that major’s Department Chair to see how to fit it into 2 years. That’s how the Communications degree was finally made as an option available to everyone now.

No matter what degree you may choose at UMKC it has to be able to fit into 2 years or you would have to extend in the program to finish your Bachelors.

A variety of AP Exams that will apply to your specific degree depending on which degree you decide to do:

AP Calculus AB
AP Chemistry
AP Physics B

AP Psychology
AP US History
AP European History
AP English Language
AP in a Foreign Language
AP US Government
AP Economics

You can get testing credit through an AP exam, IB exam, CLEP exam, or take a Department Credit by Exam (A maximum of 30 hours can be gained from testing credit).

There is no limit, however, on transfer credit (credit done at another college/university), assuming that UMKC accepts credit from that institution.

[url=<a href=“http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/creditbyexam.asp]UMKC”>http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/creditbyexam.asp]UMKC</a> Registration and Records - Credit by Examination](<a href=“http://www.med.umkc.edu/prospective/sections/program/choosingamajor.html]choosing”>http://www.med.umkc.edu/prospective/sections/program/choosingamajor.html)

General Education Requirements:
<a href=“http://d.web.umkc.edu/drewa/ARTS%20AND%20SCIENCES%20REQUIREMENTS%201997%20OFFICIAL%2002-25-08.pdf[/url]”>http://d.web.umkc.edu/drewa/ARTS%20AND%20SCIENCES%20REQUIREMENTS%201997%20OFFICIAL%2002-25-08.pdf&lt;/a&gt;

Be sure to consider other colleges & programs.

Just to clarify to kbbriggs and smartnab19, and others, I’m not referring to where you say your dream is to become a doctor - that’s different and I’m not referring to that. We all have different reasons why we choose a certain career to pursue. Most people who enter and end up completing medical school could not imagine themselves in any other careers or at least if they could imagine it - they wouldn’t be as happy, would be bored silly, etc.

My question above is regarding what specifically about UMKC makes it your “dream school” or “life-long dream to get into” vs. NUMEROUS other schools all across the United States that ALSO have Bachelor/MD programs.

I live about 30 minutes from the UMKC campus in the Northland (Liberty, MO). UMKC is the right fit because it not only allows me to be close to home but gives me the opportunity to be close to home and complete my schooling as quickly as possible. I get bored extremely easily and the traditional route of becomming a doctor does not interest me at all. The location is the biggest selling point and I hope to some day practice in my hometown, Liberty. Yes, I have visited the campus. Also, many of my doctors have graduated from the program and have great things to say about it. On the application (I printed it out just to look at) it says only teachers or counselors can do recommendations. Does this mean I can’t use any doctor’s I’ve worked for in the past? Also, do my chances of getting in seem good?

Ok, well then those are good reasons (excluding the “complete my schooling as quickly as possible”), esp. of being very close to home - trust me you’ll need it as you progress through the program. I would say your stats are EXCELLENT to get in the program next year considering you are also in-state. I agree you should have no problem getting in. The recommendations are from people who know you academically hence the wanting of a teacher/counselor to write it.

It’s better if you can, since you live close, to ask people who are in the program now, as sometimes with those who graduated a while back, A LOT has changed since they’ve been in school to what it is now (i.e. ALL med school science classes letter graded and no longer Pass/Fail, adding of undergrad classes to Bachelors degree, institution of a Science GPA requirement to promote, taking USMLE Step 1 before being allowed to enter Year 5 rotations, etc.). You can probably get a list of contacts from the Med School or you can give them your contact info, so that students can contact you so you can ask them questions about how the program is NOW and not base your information on a graduate from a decade ago.

For General Chemistry, since you live very close to UMKC, I would not AP out, because that is 10 credit hours of easy “A” you can use towards your science GPA to give it padding. If you AP out of Chemistry, then you only get credit, but unfortunately, no grade points. So what I would do is study during senior year to learn it well, but don’t take the AP test. Then take General Chem I (first 4 wks) and General Chem II (second 4 wks) in the summer at UMKC commuting from home – It should be no problem as you are doing the SAME information from AP Chemistry over AGAIN in the summer to where it will be very easy for you AND you get the grade points since you’re taking it at UMKC.

Just to let you know the AP Biology exam does not give you anything of use as UMKC does not allow you to AP out of General Biology I and II (in case you decide to do the Biology BA).

To clarify, when I said “complete my schooling as quickly as possible” I meant I wish to complete my dream and goal of becomming a practicing doctor, healing people as quickly as possible. In no ways do I just want to just “get my schooling over with”. I know the UMKC program is a challenge and is more advanced than traditional routes. No matter how cheesy it sounds, I am thrilled and cannot wait to begin the process of becomming a doctor. I am so incredibly passionate and ready to begin the journey of becomming a doctor. I in no way meant I wanted to get my schooling over with quickly for any reason other than wanting to fufill my ultimate goal of being a doctor. This is one of the main reasons for wanting to go to UMKC’s program. HappyToGraduate, thank you so much for the helpful advice. I appreciate it so incredibly much. While obviously getting in is not certain, it’s nice to have a different answer than the typical “if it’s meant to be, it will happen” or “well, everything looks good but you never know”. Having something I hold so important to me so up in the air is difficult so thanks for some peace of mind. I guess I will have to get used to it being a doctor someday :slight_smile:

No, don’t worry, that’s not how I interpreted it. Too many choose the UMKC program for the 6 year aspect as one of their main, if not sole reason to go through the program, and end up very disappointed both financially and emotionally. Hence, when you said dream school, I had to ask why that was. Much more important, you should choose a medical school because of the level of quality in medical education it can give you, which fits you, and that you would be happy at (this is subjective - hence, requiring you to research the curriculum, etc.): [AAMC:</a> Applying to Medical School: Thirty-One Questions I Wish I Had Asked](<a href=“http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/31questions.htm]AAMC:”>http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/about/31questions.htm). You get a lucky bonus of being close to home as well. So for you, I think you have good reasons for wanting to attend UMKC.

When you apply for residency programs, interviewing faculty will not give you a pass because you went to a six year medical program. Thus, it’s always important to know the strengths and weaknesses of the med program at any school and it’s ability to help you reach your goal of a specific specialty career you desire, along with yourself as the other part of the equation.

Also as always, don’t put all your eggs all in one basket. Apply to other Bachelor/MD programs you would be fine going to as well. SLU Med Scholars, WashU, and Mizzou Conley Scholars have ones as well, not to mention the very prestigious ones at Northwestern, Brown, Rice/Baylor, Penn State/Jefferson, Vanderbilt ENGAGE, UPitt, BU, and the many others across the United States. You may want to prepare for the SAT II: Chemistry exam now to take in the summer, as some of these other programs require it. At the end, you can compare all those programs thoroughly and look at their financial aid packages they’re willing to give you as well as evaluate the medical school you’d be getting your M.D. degree from and make an informed decision.

With your spectacular rank, involvement in sports (how do you have the time? lol), health care volunteering, work experience, and assuming you do well on the ACT, you really are in excellent shape for an interview and acceptance at UMKC. I would say if you can try to get an officer position in a school organization, that would help as well.

Other things that look good as well for variety: getting involved in some type of science or medical research, EMT type of stuff, etc. You can go on [MDapplicants.com</a> - Home](<a href=“http://www.mdapplicants.com%5DMDapplicants.com”>http://www.mdapplicants.com) to see the variety of things people have done to make their CV stick out. Of course, interviewers will know there is only so much you can do as a high schooler.

Go to the different BA/MD or BS/MD websites and download the application so you can see what needs to be filled out on the application now and what areas you want to expand on, whether it’s:[ul]
[<em>]Healthcare experiences
[</em>]Community service
[<em>]Leadership activities (Officer positions and in which organizations)
[</em>]Honors received while in HS (including awards, distinctions, and honorary societies)
[<em>]Extracurricular and team activities
[</em>]Employment during school years
[li]Summer activities[/li][/ul]
as well as taking the time to write, revise, & polish any required essays on the application. In general, the more you can fill up the available blank spaces of your activities on the application, the better.

Ask for letters of recommendation by the end of this school year so that they have the summer to work on it and finish it before everyone starts asking in the fall. Ask them to make one letter for scholarships and one for schools although they can have the same info, just a change in one sentence telling what the letter is concerning.

its my dream school because all my friends have gone their and when i visited the campus it was the best ever but do u think i have a chance?

Happy, I glanced at your post (#1862) and saw that you think there to be a mistake in the information posted. If you look closely, the first excerpt you give is giving minimum requirements to be accepted into the program. The second excerpt, on the other hand, gives what is says are the average stats of admitted students from in-state and OOS.

Please understand that I am not trying to attack you or your credibility (indeed, you have been an invaluable source of information for those considering UMKC). I can see how easy it would be to make the mistake of thinking there is a problem with the numbers given. I only wanted to make sure everyone is correctly informed.

has anyone already been to their interview? I have mine on feb 25th and wanted to know what its like

What are you, 12 years old or a Valley girl? That’s the worst reason to go anywhere - bc your friends go there??? I highly doubt you visited UMKC or any other campus and thought, “This is the best ever!” - or you’re being sarcastic. Also the word is “there” not “their”, as in the possessive.

None taken at all CocaColaAddict!!! Yes, I was wondering why the discrepancy was and yes, you’re 100% correct. I even copied it in my post and I didn’t even realize to read it to answer my question. lol. Thanks for clearing that up!! One is for minimum to be even accepted, and the other are those who are actually admitted. Yes, we all want to be sure everyone is well informed. Are you interviewing this year?

Another way to find out more about the program guys is start from the beginning of this thread and PM people who ended up going to UMKC. Now that they are a few years into the program, they can give you a more detailed opinion of how they like the program.

I had to use the HTML version as the PDF version is no longer there:

[Date:</a> June 14, 2001 To: The Board of Curators, University of Missouri System](<a href=“http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:0KEsx-ufza8J:www.bioscibuzz.com/webpoint.pdf+umkc+sbs+carrion+med+students&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us]Date:”>http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:0KEsx-ufza8J:www.bioscibuzz.com/webpoint.pdf+umkc+sbs+carrion+med+students&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us)

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading this thread and am planning on applying to this 6 year program, along with various other BA/MD programs and traditional undergraduate schools. I remember reading somewhere that students in this program are required to take summer courses. When are these held, after freshman and sophomore year? Also, when is the first day of class, I hear graduating high school seniors only get a week or two of summer break before having to begin class.

For those of you that are students/alumni of UMKC’s 6 year program, did you know anyone who was in ROTC while in the program?

Thanks for the help!

The UMKC med program runs year round for all six years. You do not get any summers off.

I don’t know anyone that was in ROTC while in the program. Since you can only take undergraduate courses certain specific semesters you will not be able to be in ROTC AND do the med program: [UMKC</a> ROTC - About the ROTC Department](<a href=“Home | Humanities and Social Sciences | University of Missouri - Kansas City”>Home | Humanities and Social Sciences | University of Missouri - Kansas City)

Happy: Hopefully, I will be interviewing this year. I’m still waiting for word from UMKC. Your posts have been really helpful in letting me know more about the program!

anyways… do u guys think i will get in with my accomplishments?

First, please see post 1862 regarding the minimum requirements vs. statistics of those who are admitted.

Considering you are out-of-state and in looking at the admitted statistics, your ACT just makes it.

Your rank however, puts you OUT of the top 5% and even puts you out of the top 10% although marginally. You may be given some slack as your class size is VERY small. Do you go to private school?

The standards for Out-of-State students to get into the program is higher than for Missouri residents.

Very few of your courses are Pre-AP/AP courses. For example I’ll give you my 11th and 12th grade schedule:

11th grade

1. AP English Language
  2. AP US History
  3. Pre-AP Precalculus (I was one year ahead in math and thus took Pre-AP Algebra I in middle school)
  4. Pre-AP Physics I
  5. AP Spanish IV (I took Spanish I in middle school and progressed from there)
  6. AP Environmental Science
  7. AP Biology

12th grade

1. AP English Literature
  2. AP U.S. Govt (1st semester); AP Economics (2nd semester)
  3. AP Calculus BC
  4. AP Physics B
  5. AP Spanish V
  6. AP Chemistry
  7. AP Statistics

And I went to a public high school.

Even in your Junior year schedule, the only AP class you are taking is AP Chemistry. Most out-of-state cream of the crop students in high schools these days esp. in the Junior year are taking at least AP English Language and AP US History, if not almost ALL Pre-AP/AP classes. Are not a lot of Pre-AP/AP/Honors courses offered at your school?

You say you’ve volunteered for about 100 hours, give or take. That’s about a month and a half of volunteering at one hospital. While it’s a good start you need more and in a greater variety of places. How many hours have you worked at a doctor’s office? One good thing you do have is officer positions in school organizations.

While I don’t have a crystal ball to see into the future, while you MIGHT get an interview, you probably would not get accepted as you would have to rely on other applicants not having great CVs, which is usually not the case.

Sigh, I emailed that lady Happy, but no reply. I guess that is a no then