Undergrad Business School (costlier) vs. Liberal Arts Education (nearly full ride) for business career

Unfortunately many posters do not come back and report their decision.

Thank you. I do recall the issues, but one intent on studying business may have difficulty seeing the benefit of a liberal arts education. Also, I sensed that the OP was concerned about the weather & location of Williams College.

Getting admitted to UC-Berkeley as a resident of California is equivalent to a resident of the East Coast getting admitted to Harvard. Few turn down Harvard to attend Williams College.

To me, the odd aspect of this situation is that an applicant applied both to the business school at UC-Berkeley–a large, activist school–and to a small LAC such as Williams College.

Also, when thinking in terms of dollars, an undergraduate business degree can save one hundreds of thousands of dollars since there may be no need to interrupt one’s career to attend an MBA program.

1 Like

As a west coast parent, I think it’s Stanford that is more analogous to Harvard. Berkeley is a great school, but I personally know more than a few kids who have gotten in and chosen other options, whether LAC’s, private universities, or other UC’s (or SLO). I think you’re giving Berkeley too much credit for activism, too. Sure, the history is there, and there are definitely politically active students, but as a percentage of the student body, they don’t predominate any more than other peer schools.

2 Likes

Activism is part of the campus culture at certain schools including Berkeley and, for a small school example, Oberlin College.

While Williams College is the #1 LAC in the nation, UC-Berkeley Haas undergraduate business school ranks at #2 among undergraduate business schools.

I don’t think you’re saying anything that most people here don’t know…? I’m not even sure why this discussion is being revived in the absence of the OP.

2 Likes

I was curious as to OP’s decision. Also, I think that OP deserved a more balanced discussion of his options.

I reread this thread. There are a couple of misconceptions about business and marketing. Folks do study marketing & can earn very significant incomes.

After rereading the entire thread, it seems clear that OP want to study business, attend Berkeley, and live and work on the West Coast in California.

In any event the OP made a decision and does not appear to be on CC anymore.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.