Headed down tomorrow

<p>Ok - DS and I are headed out tomorrow for that second trip to Bama. (my first trip) We’re staying at the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee. Friday we are meeting with an Engineering ambassador for lunch etc. at noon and then meeting with Dr. Bao from Engineering at 3. Saturday we’ll be at Capstone Scholar’s Day.</p>

<p>I’ve been making notes of the suggestions for places to go to get a feel for Tuscaloosa, but my geography is not too good. DS wants to see the town - so I thought we can either explore a bit Friday morning or after our meeting on Friday. He also wants to go to Crimson Castle on Friday night to play Magic the Gathering.</p>

<p>I have written down: Midtown Village (but he’s not a shopper), Downtown (not sure what street to input for that location), River Walk (found that on a map) and The Strip (again, not sure how to find that). We do plan to eat. Probably just stay close to the hotel tomorrow night. Friday night is open.</p>

<p>Suggestions on how best to do a “tour” that gives him a flavor of the town? - or at least some place names I can put into my GPS (I’m directionally challenged).</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Downtown is University Drive around Greensboro Drive.
There are places in that vicinity for blocks in 3 directions (north, south and east). It is west of campus about 1 1/2 miles. One must is Steel City Pops for a nice treat. Several great places to eat in that area and some shops. Our favorite shop is The Shirt Shop on the corner of 6th Street and Greensboro. </p>

<p>The Strip is University Drive from around Caplewood Dr going east towards 10th Ave.<br>
Lots of little places to eat and shop, pick up your Bama gear, etc. </p>

<p>You can walk to Baumhowers from the Hampton Inn. Or head down to the strip or downtown and eat at any of those places. It is not far at all. While there are ways to get around the “traffic” on University Dr to/from the Hampton, it is not that bad and gives you both a chance to see more of the “flavor” of UA. </p>

<p>If you get a chance for breakfast, The Waysider Cafe on Greensboro is a must! There is parking in the back and yes, it is a hole in the wall. </p>

<p>Have fun!!!</p>

<p>Thanks. That helps a lot! Looks like just driving west on University Blvd. from campus will take us places. May be a bit chilly for Pops (with a projected high of 45 on Friday) - but that looks like a very cool place. I’ll definitely mention it to DS.</p>

<p>Check out Google Earth to get a lay of things. It really helps for trying to find the buildings on campus that you are needing to be at when you can identify certain landmarks. You can also use it for seeing around town and what is where and what is around a certain area. It helped me find out the back way from the Hampton to Campus Dr and Jack Warner without having to deal with University Dr traffic. I don’t trust my regular map for areas that I am not familiar with as it may show a road that goes all the way thru that really does not.</p>

<p>Good suggestion. My GPS is famous for interesting routes! I’ll definitely look for that back way from the Hampton! Coming from the DC area - most traffic pales in comparison… Is parking on campus an issue for visitors? I checked the UA website and read the rules - but it doesn’t give any indication of how hard it is to find a spot - over by Engineering office (HM Comer Hall).</p>

<p>If you get a daily $5 parking permit (scratch-off version) from the Transportation Hub, you can park in the large outdoor parking lot immediately west of Comer. Display your parking pass on your dash/rear-view mirror. Do not park in handicapped or faculty-designated spots. (They will review the rules w/ you when you purchase the pass.) </p>

<p>Look on this map for help: [Interactive</a> Campus Map - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama). Find Comer (HC = abbreviation), then look west of that building. Each of the ‘pins’ on that interactive map has both on-campus and off-campus directions, if you click on the pin.</p>

<p>For others, here is link to parking (color-coded map): <a href=“http://fawp.ua.edu/bamaparking/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/08/main-parking-map-5-29-13.pdf[/url]”>http://fawp.ua.edu/bamaparking/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/08/main-parking-map-5-29-13.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
Good luck!</p>

<p>Okay, found that on the map. The best parking for that will be in the parking deck by The Ferg. It is located at the corner of Campus Dr West and McCorvey Dr. You enter from the Campus Dr entrance. There is a surface lot between the parking deck and 7th Ave, but I think that is permit only.</p>

<p>There is a difference between the parking deck visitor permits and a general visitor parking permit. If you purchase a general visitor parking permit (the scratch-off-the-date kind), here is that language:</p>

<p>"Visitors to campus may also purchase one day scratch off parking permits in the Transportation Services office, at 451 Campus Drive East. These permits are valid in any general use parking space on campus.</p>

<p>Permits are not required to park in a legal space after hours and on weekends."</p>

<p>I have never had an issue parking in the outdoor lot immediately west of HMComer, as long as I have had a scratch-off parking permit displayed. Please correct me if I am wrong.</p>

<p>You are probably correct. I’ve never purchased a permit when we have visited. I’ve always just parked in the visitor parking areas. To park at the Ferg deck you do not need a parking permit. You pay when you enter from the Campus Dr entrance.</p>

<p>@VAmom- D and I will also be staying at the Hampton Inn!</p>

<p>We always just pay and park at the Ferg deck also.</p>

<p>Excellent! Maybe we’ll see you! I’ll be with the tall, slim blond guy from VA. I’m the short blond one :-)</p>

<p>If you are looking for a quick place to eat on 82 (mcFarland) Full Moon Bar B Que has a great UA intro. Also, we’ve enjoyed Mug shots (burgers) and Glory Bound (gyros) in Downtown for dinner and if you can give up the Hampton breakfast, Rama Jamas right by the stadium has a good breakfast. it’s also fun to pick up “hot now” Krispy Kremes and drive around the campus at night. It is beautiful at night! Have a memorable time.</p>

<p>He can get a quick intro into UA life by picking up couple dozen boxes of “HOT NOW” Krispy Kreme donuts and walking up and down sorority row tomorrow night. :wink: </p>

<p>There is now a Jim & Nick’s BBQ in Tuscaloosa in downtown off of University. On the strip there is Buffalo Phil’s (huge UA hangout), Steamers for some seafood. In Midtown you can also eat at Bob’s Victory Grille (burgers, wings, etc).</p>

<p>VAmom-I’ll be with the short, blond girl (and probably one of the few that still has braces!) and I’m the short, brunette one ;)</p>

<p>Dreamland BBQ is a must in Tuscaloosa. The old one has a lot of…atmosphere. The new one, in Northport (just over the bridge), is clean, efficient, delicious. Ribs! Ribs! Ribs!
Cypress Inn is another good place to eat.
You won’t starve!</p>

<p>D and I are headed to campus as well tomorrow for a different event. Staying at the Capstone and definitely planning on having dinner at Dreamland BBQ. Probably won’t have time for much else but we are both looking forward to being back in Tuscaloosa!</p>

<p>GPS Tip: when driving down McFarland and needing to make a left turn for a stop, due to the median, my Garmin GPS tries to get me to turn on the side streets and go around a huge block (to wind up in the correct direction) instead of turning at the next light. If you are looking for an address on McFarland, stay on McFarland!</p>

<p>If you are night owls there’s a place on the strip that does dollar sushi at midnight on Thursdays!</p>

<p>You guys are awesome! I think we’ ll just eat our way thru T’town! I’ll heed the GPS warnings too. Expect a full report when we get back.</p>

<p>If you go to the OLD Dreamland Barbecue, be sure to read the sign over the door on the way out! ;)</p>