University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

Same here - in Mass. I am fairly certain they are timing snail mail arrival with the update to the portal or pretty close to it - either tracking it with an API or just using math :slight_smile:

Thanks. I was wondering if there is any meaning to it. Hopefully my son gets that email too.

Acceptance here on the 16th, still waiting on the snail mail and merit notice.

DD didn’t apply until later this year so hasn’t been accepted yet. Do you know if the regular Honors status provides access to smaller class sizes, or do they have to be accepted to special programs? At this point it looks like she will miss the deadlines for any special programs. She sounds very similar to your daughter, hesitant about the party reputation.

At the honors presentation during our visit we were told honors gives preferential course selection (it’s by honors and number of credits, so coming in with AP or DE credits helps) and I don’t think specific programs mean anything at all for that. It also seemed like, unlike some other schools, it wasn’t going to be a lot of extra work to maintain Honors. As long as your GPA stays in range and you take the minimum number of honors credits, you can keep status. We were also told that, unlike in high school, honors sections of courses are smaller but not actually more difficult. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it was appealing.

1 Like

Yes, the regular Honors program has smaller classes.

Also, I think I said earlier that many special programs have Dec 1 deadlines, but I just checked and several of them are later.

1 Like

My son is a 2nd year student at UA. He applied for UA in late December/ early January and had interviews for Blount and Randall Research. So it’s likely not too late for certain Honors programs.

1 Like

If your child already qualifies for the automatic presidential merit scholarship is it worth doing the competitive scholarship application?

Merit notice came in snail mail yesterday. 28k/year presidential scholarship.
OOS
1420 SAT
3.5 GPA
A few APs
We’re from the Northeast and the commute wouldn’t be easy so we’ll have to think long and hard about this.

2 Likes

Once you get outside the drivable for a weekend range, I don’t think it matters much how far you are. I went to college 10 hours away. College town did have an airport with a direct commercial flight which made it easier, but I only went home over breaks. Most students end up doing this if they are happy at the school, and many don’t go home for shorter breaks. With the majority of UA students being OOS, I bet there are a bunch that stay on campus for short breaks/long weekends. My kid that is an hour away is only home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Of course every family is different, and every student is different. I don’t think coming home for the weekend is something that many kids do, at least not much, if they are happy where they are. That is the big question - is it a fit for your student?

Hi - did you get an update? My son’s status was “under review” and now it is blank. Fingers crossed for good news!

Hi, it was blank for a while. Now it is showing under review message again. Wait time continues.

Ugh! What a pain, but thank you!

That’s a really good question.

Hey! Does anyone know about how long it takes to receive a decision? I applied on 11/11, and transcripts got sent on 11/16. All checks on green currently and have been since 11/16 as well. Last week it said under review, it went blank, and now it just says submitted, so I am not sure what that means.

I applied on 10/5 and my transcripts were received by UA on 10/12. I got notification of my acceptance via both email and snail mail on 11/14.

1 Like

If student is NMSF, will they automatically be accepted to the Honors College or is there an application they must complete specifically for Honors?

You have to do the application, but you will be automatically admitted after you do it.

1 Like

The honors website has links to each program and application. I believe for NRP and NMSF, admission to university honors in guaranteed but you must apply and fill out the application plus the essay. Each of the other programs – Blount, EPIC etc. have their own application after that. My son applied to EPIC and that required multiple essays on top.

1 Like

D23 is interested in the Honors LLC. Does anyone know anything about it or when the application for it opens?