University of Alabama Housing Scholarships

Does University of Alabama give Housing scholarships? Just curious.

I think the NMF scholarship pays for one year of housing, at least it used to.

If you get full tuition, you can use aid such as Pell Grant, student loan of $5,500, summer job earnings and parent contribution to pay for fees, room and meal plan.

I think only freshmen have to get the meal plan and there are lots of apartments around UA for students to live in after freshman year.

You can also try to live in a cheaper dorm for freshman year to save money.

Did your daughter go into mybama portal and change her major to chemical engineering? If not, she needs to do so soon to get that add’l 2500 per year. If she waits, she won’t get it.

To answer your Q…no. There are some higher awards, like nmf, that include one year of housing, but there aren’t any “housing awards”.

She did change her major to chemical engineering . Thank you! She received a letter in mail that she got it!

My daughter received a UA Scholar Freshman Year Housing Scholarship last week for $4000. It’s in addition to her OOS UA Scholar Scholarship.

My daughter did too…that is why I asked! Pleasantly surprised!! She also was a UA Scholar…So with that, engineering scholarship and merit…she is really close to free tuition…ROLL TIDE! Alabama in her top two or three choices, but very exciting!!! She was super close to being a Presidential scholar…just missed the 1490 not superscored, but had it superscored…not that it mattered.

Remember that the housing scholarship is only good for their freshman year.

Was there a separate application for the housing scholarship? My daughter is also receiving an OOS UA Scholar Scholarship, but this is the first I’ve heard of a housing scholarship.

Did you apply for that?

She completed the scholarship application on myBama prior to the December 15 deadline. The application wasn’t specific to housing.

Students only live on campus for one year, so the fact that the scholarship is only a year isn’t relevant. Allegedly, it’s much cheaper to live off-campus anyway. I don’t know much about neighborhoods in that area, but you can easily find a 2-bedroom apartment for under $1000. So, with a roommate, your child is paying much less for an apartment than the dorm rooms.

Nice to know that the students are automatically considered for that scholarship. Hope my D19 gets it.

There is currently a glut of off campus housing. Some areas are very nice & very expensive. The farther from campus, it usually comes in cheaper.

That is one of the things I really liked, so much off campus housing. DS picked a resort style place off campus, but moved in w/ friends and it still came in cheaper than the on campus suite style dorms. DS needed to be on the school shuttle route, so we had to work w/ them.

My daughter is a freshman right now and housing off campus in a safe area is not as cheap as you would think. We are spending a couple of thousand more next year @gusmahler.

DS is living w/ 4 other friends at the Cottages, and I think it was about $1800 cheaper than the suite dorms. They really like it there. I though the place was incredible.

So not a lot cheaper, but it was cheaper. If going from cheaper on campus housing then no, it would definitely have been more. So I think a lot depends on where they started on campus & their choice of off campus.

How did everyone find out about the housing scholarship? Was it a letter or email? I’m an OOS UA Scholar and I haven’t gotten anything

Email to my daughter’s personal account, followed by a letter a couple of days later.

The UA Scholar Housing Scholarship is a targeted award for a specific test score. There was no application for it, and all notifications for the award have been sent.

@Class2012Mom - what is the score? a 36 ACT or 1600 SAT?

Comment deleted