University of Colorado Boulder EA for Fall 2023

Congrats!

1 Like

Ok thanks. And congratulations to your daughter. I hadnā€™t seen anyone get awarded the presidential, only the chancellors. I was hoping that those were still coming! I have a high stat kid with really good resume, no merit. It is what it is!

1 Like

Test Optional

My son just got accepted and his scholarship said Presidential. He is so excited!

1 Like

Yes, my son received the Presidential. OOS.

Sorry to hear that.

My DD was also denied. This was on the top of her list, so she took this one pretty hard. Moving onā€¦

1 Like

Instate, accepted, Top Scholar award and Honors college invitation. 4.1W and 31 ACT.

DD letter came at 7pm at the exact minute of when her senior year dance show for her HS team started lol. Talk about crazy. She got in and is very excited. Not sure financially if itā€™s going to be do-able. I bri efly looked at the letter but not portal yet.
Test Optional- 3.5/4.5 gpa

D23 was accepted. Honors with $25k scholarship.

OOS
3.93 UW/4.25 W
IB Diploma Candidate
Small private school that doesnā€™t rank
34 ACT
3 sport varsity athlete (not recruited); 3 sport captain; will graduate with 13 varsity letters
Chamber choir
School musical
Part time job
LORs - Iā€™m guessing they were solid but canā€™t say for sure.
Solid essays but thatā€™s subjective

My son also applied to Mechanical Engineering OOS with similar stats and was accepted to Exploratory Studies. He received a Presidential Scholarship ($55K). Heā€™s been accepted to engineering at Purdue and Texas A&M which are higher ranked programs (along with several others). Does UC Boulder not offer many Engineering School acceptances to OOS kids?

and now the portal has a conduct form to fill out. Never saw that before. Does everyone else have that?

1 Like

I believe itā€™s with everyone else - my S transferred in last fall so he is living off campus, but I think exploratory is just another ā€œcollegeā€ like arts and sciences or business. Donā€™t all the first years go through the same housing process? That would be my assumption but someone else here might know for sure.

My son accepted at same set of univ for Aerospace Engg. With Presidential Scholarship at Purdue, it is much more affordable and highly ranked school than both A&M and CU for us.

1 Like

CU offered direct admit to Aerospace; where as Purdue and Texas A&M both accepted his major, but the Purdue follows FYE (First Year Engineering) and then student has to maintain at least 3.2 GPA to auto admit to their major that is indicated in the application (97% get their major). For Texas A&M, they follow ETAM which is much more hard to get desired major (its 50% for Aerospace with min-GPA 3.7 or above).

Based on the limited results posted here, it seems like CU Boulder might be parking some high stat OOS kids, who they know have a lot of choices, in Exploratory Studies. It makes no sense to offer these kids the top two university-wide scholarships, especially the Presidential, and yet deny their intended major except in a way telling them that ā€œwe want you but we donā€™t think you are going to attend, so hereā€™s a pathway if you really want go.ā€ Note that the overall success rate for transferring into CoE is not that high, sub 60% for kids who enter with a 4.0+ high school GPA but that includes a lot of kids who were not nearly as well-qualified as some of these applicants. My advice is unless you are in love with CU Boulder, take a direct admit offer somewhere else.

5 Likes

well said. Purdue is any day a better school than A&M and CU. Cost of attendance is much less for Purdue compared to A&M and CU

1 Like

My son applied specifically to be in Exploratory Studies. Itā€™s CU Boulderā€™s version of being ā€œundeclaredā€. Itā€™s not any different than applying to the school of Education, Engineering, Business etc. It just may be easier to get into than other schools in the university. It gives students who donā€™t know what they want to do, the ability explore several avenues and figure it out before making a decision. And from what I hear, with the right courses and grade point, some of those schools within the university at Boulder accept sophomores into the school, where it can be much harder elsewhere. There are only a few schools on my sonā€™s list that cater to kids like him, who havenā€™t quite figured out what they want to do after college. So thatā€™s something that he likes about CU Boulder.

3 Likes

Oos high stat kid accepted into engineering at UC Boulder and Purdue. But no merit $$. Canā€™t figure it out.

2 Likes

Anyone NOT get a decision and it still says pending in the portal? A friend of ours checked this morning and it still says pendingā€¦ 00S.