University of Colorado Boulder EA for Fall 2023

Thanks for the info. I hope your son is happy there!

Thank you so much for this info!

2 Likes

Here is the link to CU Boulder’s own “transfer success probability” calculator from Exploratory Studies to the highly competitive degree-granting colleges. IMO, the probabilities are on the low side, and I wouldn’t risk it if I had a better or equal college choice.

https://viz-public.cu.edu/t/Boulder/views/IUT_Public_Dashboard/Overview?%3Aembed=y&%3Aiid=2&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the highest merit scholarship a Colorado resident can get? Is it the President Joseph A. Sewall Award? And does anyone know if that scholarship is for Arts and Science, Business, and Engineering students?

1 Like

And then not give money to the others who will also find a better offer elsewhere.

2 Likes

just to share some stats because its kind of hard to find for AE @ boulder.

Accepted Aero Eng OOS/International US cit.
EA.
1430/IB average around 6-7s in G9, 10/US 3.7 G11.
Decent amount of community service around FRC robotics.
APs in physics, math, and CS.
No merit or aid but I’m hearing that that’s still developing so I’m hoping some finds its way. Tuition is too steep to approach at cost so just crossing my fingers for now.

Hopefully that can help someone get an idea of admissions for this year.

2 Likes

Interested bec that is not what Colorado Boulder eluded to when we visited. For highly competitive programs they recommended applying to them as you can easily transfer out, but not so easily transfer in.

1 Like

Yes, the Sewall scholarship is the highest merit award for in-state students. It’s 28k over four years or 7k/yr. All first-year applicants are eligible for consideration.

1 Like

Here is a link to the First Year Automatic Scholarship Consideration at CU Boulder for both in state and oos.

That’s very helpful! Thank you for sharing. It’d be helpful if they had a comparison to standardized test scores since (imo) there’s a margin of error on GPA’s to actual performance.

DD OOS accepted Pre-Business.

Idk but my d23 was notified of her chancellors scholarship yesterday with ea notification 

D23 stats nothing extraordinary
Oos
4.0 unweighted /4.7 weighted
Sat 1360 submitted
7 aps ( ab calc, chem,bio, apush, AP world ) all 4’s
Currently taking bc calc, physics , AP gov I think ?
Ranked 16 / 420
Ecs average

Does anyone have info on cu boulder pre Med advising ?

I stand corrected then.

Interesting. That’s not what our college advisor told us. Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

Thanks! Any idea what percent of kids get the Sewall scholarship?

In looking at the IUT success rates, fewer students transfer into CoE than had the required GPA. Does that mean it’s not guaranteed, or did students decide to transfer into another college? In other words, if you do the work and get the grades, is it assured or is it another application process based on GPA and you may not get into CoE even if the requirements are met? Anyone know? My son has 4.2W and has taken engineering coursework in HS. He has direct admission at other schools. Does he run the risk?

This looks extraordinary. A 4.7? You do have to write 3 essays for CU-B. Maybe they put emphasis on this as much as testing history.

1 Like

Their website claims it is not a competition. If you meet the GPA and the coursework requirements in a timely manner, your transfer is guaranteed. However, last year’s thread said that they changed the 2.7 GPA criteria and now anything less than a B in the core technical coursework doesn’t count. A lot of things can happen during the first year of college. The fact that roughly 1/3 of the kids who enter with a 4.0+ high school GPA can’t even maintain a 2.7 GPA in the core subjects says this is no piece of cake.

1 Like

This is so annoying! My son def meets the GPA requirement for the Presidential, has a bunch of AP coursework, Japanese for his LOTE, heavy music-related ECs, part-time jobs, etc
 Plus, other schools have offered him rafts of money. I don’t get it.

2 Likes

3.7 OOS 1360 SAT, All State athlete, 150 hours volunteering
got accepted for exploratory and not business.