University of Colorado Boulder EA for Fall 2023

What does this hyperlink look like?

CS at Boulder is a robust program that provides practical experience. Smart kids from our high school chose Boulder over more highly ranked programs all the time. They get jobs at FAANG, startups, in the defense industry—CU does a really good job of launching graduates.

There is also an entrepreneurial spirit at CU and ten Makerspaces on campus where students can bring their ideas to fruition with the support of Boulder’s thriving startup culture. There is a lot of VC money in Boulder and no shortage of really smart, ambitious people.

5 Likes

My son is a current Sophomore at CU. CU offers a “CU Student Sports Pass” for all athletics including home football and basketball games. I believe this year the pass was $180. My son has not had a problem attending all of the football games, but the basketball games are more challenging to attend because of space limitations.

2 Likes

I keep hearing this and am interested in reasoning
 is it just the rankings? The acceptance rate? The perceived quality of student in the major? Both are excellent programs and Purdue is more difficult to get into, but I think a big part of that is the cost
 Purdue is a bargain and presumably has a much higher yield rate because of this. Having worked with many grads across the top schools in the field, I can tell you that there is MUCH more variation inter-student within a school than inter-school among quality programs. If the ‘same’ student goes to each of these three schools, why is Purdue better? Not attacking, just interested in the reasoning behind this fairly common statement (and it goes for other such comparisons between quality programs).

2 Likes

Thanks for this note. My D likes to ski so that is one incentive for her. Does anyone know how big are classes at Boulder ?
I have heard UC classes are big ; hard to get into classes at.

Probably depends on school/major. As with any large state school, some early classes will likely be large. I’d post in a general CU forum where the Q will get seen by more current students or just give the department a call and ask.

Well I had emailed admissions a few days ago asking if there was any chance merit was still coming and didn’t get a response. So I guess that was the response.

1 Like

My middle son goes to UCLA and they have something similar called the Den Pass for $160 - similarly, they have no problem getting into every football game, but do have to stand in line for wristbands to get into basketball games. Its great that all sporting events are covered in that one time cost!

1 Like

My son is a current Sophmore at CU and was a direct admit into Leeds (OOS). One of his current roommates is also in Leed’s as a Sophmore, but entered through the Pre-Business program(also OOS). It’s a great program and your son will love living with other pre-business students. He will attend classes in the dorm with other pre-business students. He will take the exact same business courses his freshman year as direct admits and then he will transition straight into Leed’s if he maintains the required gpa (which is fair and attainable). The university WANTS your student to succeed and provides resources to help. My observation is CU does an incredible job creating cohorts of students within the same colleges in order to create a small community for students to quickly connect. My son was in the Business RAP dorm his freshman year and made so many friends and found great study groups - I highly recommend it. My son received the Chancellor Scholarship as a direct admit - very appreciative, but the Presidential Scholarship is incredible - congrats!! Did your son have 3 years of the same foreign language? That is a requirement for direct admission and might be what prevented his direct admission into Leed’s. At least that is the story my son’s roommate claims:) Who knows? But if he received the Presidential Scholarship, then he is a great student that will succeed at CU. Good luck with your decision and Sko Buffs!

1 Like

Our son admitted to Physics program, OOS, no mention of merit (no hyperlink in his admission letter - we’ve double checked!).

Some are big. Classes in Chem 140 (a classroom, not a course) can be 400. Obviously just lecture and usually have a small group meeting too. Some classes are 30.

Really, does it matter once they are over 50? There isn’t going to be a discussion if they are that big, just a lecture. Often when they are big they are recorded so that’s helpful if you miss a class or just want to watch again.

Much harder to get into a particular lab section than a huge lecture section. Those have a limited number of lab stations.

Did get a response from admissions

“For automatic consideration scholarships, you will be notified if you received a scholarship along with your admission decision. Students who submit a complete admissions application on or before November 15 will receive an admission decision no later than February 1. Students who apply by January 15 can expect a decision on or before April 1.”

So doesn’t look like there is any chance of merit. Can’t even waste the money to visit and risk her falling in love.

3 Likes

Thank you for this detailed information. RAP is very appealing. My son did have 3 years of foreign language. He did not submit test scores and did not have a lot of APs so perhaps that is why they gave him pre-business. I am guessing being OOS and having a high GPA, they gave him a generous scholarship to incent him to enroll as it certainly helps with their stats. I have seen a lot of posts of kids getting scholarship money but not being admitted directly to their majors, and then kids admitted to their majors and not getting any money. But who knows?!

1 Like

I spoke to them on the phone and they said they’d finish finalizing money and aid by mid feb.

1 Like

Scholarships/Merit and financial aid are different things though. Financial aid is based on your EFC which in many cases means “here is your loan you qualified for”

Still holding on to hope that mine gets a surprise scholarship.

1 Like

If CU redistributes merit aid, then there could be some late awards. CU is a super safety for kids from our high school. Looking at last year’s Naviance numbers, 89% of applicants were accepted but only 40% enrolled. This year, I already know several kids who will be declining their CU scholarships to attend OOS colleges.

So, if CU is high on your child’s list and you can wait it out, merit aid might come your way closer to the deposit deadline.

2 Likes

So seems like there is still some hope getting merit$ ?
We are OOS as well. Without that merit information it is hard to make an informed decision , planning to visit colleges during our spring break.

Also curious about this.

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

That is not the impression I got when I talked to admissions but it doesn’t hurt to hold on to hope. What I was told is merit was mentioned in the accepted letter or you didn’t get it. You can apply for their scholarships but it wouldn’t be like the automatic merit ones. But there is no harm waiting it out. For us, it’s so far that I can’t take her and risk her falling in love