University of Colorado Boulder EA for Fall 2023

So I called financial aid today as we got the verification form and it said to call. While on the phone (with a super nice person from financial aid). I explained how we need to fill this out and are hoping for money as otherwise it’s pretty expensive. Her exact words were that “yes it’s very expensive as an out of state student”. And she went on to say that most financial aid goes to their in state students as those are the families who pay taxes in the state. Doesn’t mean we won’t get money, just not enough to make a dent. I then mentioned there was no merit money in our letter and she said that again if there isn’t money listed, you didn’t get merit. BUT she went on to say that they have individual smaller scholarships you can apply for but it’s not the same amounts you would see for the auto merit, while possible to get those individual scholarships, it won’t be even close to the amounts given for merit.

I encourage you to call if you too are confused. I actually had my daughter on speaker with us so she can hear. When we got off the phone, she closed the verification page and decided to not even bother.

Uh that helps. So summary if there is no merit yet, most likely there would be none.
There is only potential scholarship ( need to fill out separate form ) - but small amount
Got it. Thanks

Yup that’s pretty much what I was told. I would reach out though to financial aid to hear yourself but this is what I was told. Quite honestly I was surprised she was so honest about it.

What would be the reason to hide any information? If you aren’t getting any more aid, it doesn’t really matter if you know that today or in 6 weeks. Really no different than California saying it before you even apply - OOS students will not receive need based aid and there are only a few merit scholarships.

I don’t know if CU re-awards money, but again they will tell you if they do or don’t. UF is very clear - 300 merit scholarships awarded, they aren’t re-issued if the first student turns it down.

I guess they like ripping the band-aid off fast.

1 Like

I think because sometimes I view schools as sales people and only wanting you to “hear” the good stuff. Surprised yes and I also appreciated her honesty and more so was glad my 17 year old was on speaker with us so she could hear.

And as far if they re-award money…I got the feeling they don’t based on her point blank saying 'If it wasn’t stated in your letter you are not receiving merit".

1 Like

My son was accepted we are OOS and offered 25k in merit total which was the least amount from his other acceptances it’s like 7k per year so not a ton and he is a national merit and 4.0 and asb president and tons of leadership . Other OOS options were 17-50k a year in merit .

Congrats on those. CU has never awarded amounts like that and never promise to.

The Presidential Scholarship at CU does offer $55k ($15k 1st year and $12.5 each year after). I know a couple of kids who got it this year.

Great you got a definitive answer. Now you and your daughter can move on.

1 Like

OOS accepted to Exploratory Studies instead of CS, no merit. Wondering if anyone has heard of merit being offered later in the process. We’ve had that happen with our older kids.

He has 3.96 UW, 1440 SAT, large public EC HS, Soccer Captain, V Tennis, other good ECs. Work experience, etc.

Accepted with merit and to Honors College at UMD College Park, UVM, Pitt, PSU
Transfer Pathway at GT.

See my post above what Financial Aid told me… but wow great stats and shocked he didn’t get anything!

Thanks. It’s probably a good thing because the Chancellor Scholarship wouldn’t be enough to go that far and unfortunately, haven’t gotten to see it yet. Older daughter went while there this summer for us and loved it.

Yup that’s why we aren’t even going to visit! don’t want mine falling in love with it lol

3 Likes

Anyone received Aid Estimate email? We got today with an estimate shows almost 50% cut in OOS CoA (including Chancellor Scholarship and work-study program).

Yes, got aid estimate. Already had received scholarship info.

1 Like

My son got into Boulder for CS as well . We are from Seattle and he is waiting for cali schools he was deferred at usc but waiting for the UC decisions . That said almost all his friends are going to Seattle U it’s a great school def worth looking at . My son wanted to go out of state but SU gave his friends some decent merit :blush: boulder engineering dorms I hear are about a 25 minute walk to class in Williams village there is a bus altho some students say it is not always reliable I’m not sure my son will love being that far from classes ! Lots of decisions

My D also got a decent offer from Seattle U.
We like it because it is private - small ratio - in Seattle-close(r) to California. However I am not sure if the CS/Engineering is good at Seattle. do you consider going to Seattle U ?

We don’t get any aid at Boulder however Boulder probably is better ranked, still waiting for UCs.

She also got in at Rensellaer in NY with very good scholarship (but far, may not choose this one) and LMU- Loyola Marymount- in LA. Location is nice, however their cost went way up this year, so we are not sure if we are ready to spend that much - given other options she has.

We applied coast to coast since UCs are great option but very unpredictable . Sigh .

1 Like

I am sorry, if you do not mind sharing, what was the COA for OOS?

It is $67, 972.