University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

Is Illinois one of those schools that requires the FAFSA be filled out even for merit aid?

1 Like

No.

1 Like

did anyone get any notifications for general university merit scholarships?

Received an email that my DD’s scholarship is in the mail and coming this week

I’m curious if merit is rolling or if all emails were sent out. It appeared to me that they don’t give much merit at all to oos and there is no way we are paying the oos tuition.I never saw a chart explaining standards for merit anywhere and we even visited.

1 Like

is this a school-specific scholarship like for grainger or like provost/stamps/presidential

We received a letter on regular USPS mail for the Presidents Award Program Honor Scholarship, dated Feb 14th. It is also posted on the admission portal, under Freshman Admitted Checklist / Scholarships. No email was sent. We are in-state.

2 Likes

UIUC doesn’t give much merit $ to OOS students, nor do they use a merit chart like some schools. The page linked below has the details, besides a few Native American scholarships, it looks like OOS merit maxes out at $10K per year and students must have financial need to qualify. OOS students can earn department scholarships too, I am not sure how high those get, but probably not more than a few thousand $.

Non-Residents

Illinois Achievement Scholarship

• Requirements: Incoming non-resident first-year students with demonstrated financial need
  • Amount: Up to $10,000 (tuition-restricted)
  • Renewable: Yes, for 4 years, provided you maintain a 3.0 GPA, continuous full-time enrollment, and are assessed non-resident tuition
  • Number: Variable

Native American Scholarship - Peoria Tribe Scholarship

• Requirements: Members of the Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma (connected historically with the state of Illinois) who have filed a 2023-2024 FAFSA
  • Amount: Covers the remaining cost of tuition, campus fees, and room/board allowance not covered by other federal, state, institutional, and private awards, including Federal Pell Grant and the State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant
  • Renewable: Varies

Native American Scholarship - Tribal Nations Scholarship

• Requirements: Any student who is not a resident of the state of Illinois, is a member of any of the Tribal Nations federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and has filed a 2023-2024 FAFSA
  • Amount: Covers the difference between non-resident and resident tuition at UIUC
  • Renewable: Varies

I recently got an email saying I was in for the James Scholar Honors program. I got accepted for AE as an intl. Does anybody know if it’s a huge upgrade?

It seems like each school there has a webpage but it sounds like your standard honors program. It doesn’t talk about money. Some schools charge more for Honors so you’d have to look into that.

This is the liberal arts one - but they’re all similar:

What does it mean to be in LAS Honors?

To be in LAS Honors means that you not only are an academic achiever but that you are an inquisitive and engaged person. We’ll support you as you deepen your knowledge, skills, and passions and as you seek out opportunities for growth and enrichment. You’ll do so as part of the LAS Honors community—a group of talented and dedicated students.

LAS Honors focuses on academics and enrichment as its two central pillars:

• Academic coursework, which you will undertake in courses with other LAS James Scholars, will enlighten you through complex, deep-level thinking in smaller sections of students who share your intellectual curiosity and who are eager, like you, to learn how to solve problems and encounter new areas of knowledge.
  • Enrichment activities will help you learn from each other as much as you learn from your classes. Engage with the world around you and develop your skills and identity outside the classroom through study abroad, internships, leadership, community service, and more.

The honors advantage

As a student in the LAS Honors program, you will enjoy:

• Specialized faculty engagement - Form close intellectual relationships with faculty members specifically selected for their credentials and passion for teaching. Take honors-only courses, complete special projects, or conduct research with a faculty member.
  • Individualized education - Be actively involved in your education. Select how you complete your honors credits and what you will do to earn that credit. To succeed in LAS Honors, you take control of your education—we will support you, but you take the lead.
  • Interdisciplinary education - Honors experiences are truly interdisciplinary, approaching topics from many different lenses and asking students to think across traditional academic boundaries.
  • Undergraduate research - From individualized projects to getting involved in labs, LAS James Scholars experience first-hand research with faculty and publish in various journals and present at conferences all over the world.
  • Co-curricular experiences - LAS James Scholars get involved on and off campus—from registered student organizations to community organizations. You’ll make a difference while getting the most of your education.
  • Status and recognition - Participants in LAS Honors apply for and receive nationally competitive scholarships, including being recognized as Truman, Fulbright, and Rhodes scholars.
  • Preparation for life after college - LAS James Scholars use their opportunities to set themselves apart on applications to graduate and professional schools, as well as launch their careers. LAS James Scholars get noticed.
2 Likes

Does anyone know if a lot of students have been deferred to regular round? Were there rejects handed out as well in Jan?

1 Like

UIUC accepted ~21,500 in EA, denied ~18,000, and deferred ~4,000

5 Likes

Thank you! Would you happen to know what the odds of conversion are if deferred?

2 Likes

Historically about 50% (this info is from counselor communications) but no way of knowing what actuals will be this year. Good luck to you.

4 Likes

Interesting. Sounds like deferrals were meaningful unlike some other places. He applied as an OOS mechanical engineering major.

3 Likes

My son received his Financial Aid Notification today. I know the university wide scholarships are out, but has anyone received notification of Grainger specific scholarships yet? (Particularly in the Computer Science department?) Or are we too early in the process still?

Can anyone tell me what the split is like for in state and OOS?

71% in-state for class of 2026

My daughter received a letter in the mail, dated Feb. 16, that had a scholarship offer for the College of Applied Health Sciences and an invitation to the Honors program and Spark undergrad research program. However, there is nothing in her online portal yet.

2 Likes

I’m so confused. I emailed and they said honors would not be evaluated until you accept your offer. Is that true?

1 Like