University of Miami / Boston College

<p>I am currently a student at UMiami, just finished my freshman year as an accounting major in the BSchool. I do like Miami a lot, but there were times I felt I just didn’t fit in, by no means did i hate the school, i mean its hard to hate a school where its 75 degrees everyday and a short 15 minutes from the *****. Miami is a very cool city, but for some reason i felt i just didn’t fit in sometimes, needless to say, i sent out transfer applications for the hell of it during winter break, truthfully did not think i would get in to any prestigious schools, but luckily I was accepted into BC’s CSOM, I could not be more thrilled, I love Boston College a lot, I was wait-listed last year when i applied coming out of high school and did not feel like waiting to find out, so I went on and decided to attend university of miami (at the time both schools were tied for my first choice, not getting into BC right away made that decision easier). However, if i could get some advice, I’d really appreciate it because this is the toughest decision I have ever had to make, whether or not to leave UM for BC. I did like UM, but at times I felt like i didn’t really fit in, it was a beautiful campus with some great people, but it just never felt like home. I visited BC plenty of times, and I love it there. But I’m just wondering if it is really worth it to transfer from UM to BC. At UM i am on an academic scholarship that covers almost half of tuition, so essentially BC would cost an additional 75K over the next three years, basically my question is whether or not it is really worth it to pack up my bags, transfer schools and spend an additional 75K for a business school with a prestigious reputation over UM’s BSchool which is really just considered maybe a little above average. I love Miami’s weather, I like the campus, the people could be a little better, but overall I had a decent experience freshman year. However, I do feel I would like BC as well, especially since I already have a friend there which would help ease the transition into a new school as a transfer student. I guess my main concerns are is transferring worth the extra 75K and pretty different lifestyle for an education from BC’s CSOM? Any input would be appreciated, please help me out, thank you very much.</p>

<p>^I’d say follow your heart…It already sort of sounds like you’ve made your decision.</p>

<p>@ziggy55
Out of curiosity, what exactly make you feel like you don’t fit in?</p>

<p>@Teblue23 i honestly have not made up my mind, I do love BC, but I just don’t know if its worth the move from Miami for the money and the whole starting over again, Idk if the quality of the education outweighs the cons of the extra money and the idea of transferring in general and leaving Miami. Currently I’m leaning towards staying at UM, but the more i think about wanting to live in the north east and eventually work in either boston or on Wall Street, i feel BC might be the better choice since it has more connections to the north east than Miami does.</p>

<p>@FBGMeveryday its not that i don’t like Miami, I do. I love the weather, i love the proximity to the beach, the campus is very nice. Socially there were just times where I felt some of the people were extremely stuck up, not everyone, just a few to the point where it ticked me off. But I guess that will happen wherever you go to school. The other thing, I’m just not crazy into the clubbing scene, and obviously thats pretty big in Miami. I don’t know, again i was not miserable in anyway, i did like Miami, and id say i had a pretty good freshman year, i just feel I had such high expectations so my first year didn’t really live up to those expectations. Although, in fairness to Miami, I feel it does get better at UM as you get older. To sum it up, i am not in love with UM, i loved football season, thats a hell of a time, there were certain things i loved, but at times I felt it could have been better, from my social life all the way to some of my professors and classes. But again, I don’t know if its worth leaving UM for BC considering I do like UM. I might like BC a little more, I don’t know, but i am unsure if its worth the transfer, considering all that and the additional money as well, so thats my dilemma and what I’m trying to figure out.</p>

<p>Ziggy - I don’t mean to get too personal, but this sounds like a discussion that needs to be had with a parent or close relative, rather than this discussion board. Just my .02.</p>

<p>you are right, just figured id see if anyone had some input that I was unaware of that could possibly help</p>

<p>Ziggy, if you stick it out at UM, perhaps surround yourself with new floormates/roommates, new clubs and organizations and find some people who are like-minded. Freshman year sometimes results in lifelong friends who lived on your floor, but most of the time it doesn’t. I know it didn’t with my DS who will be a senior this year. He found his niche in time…freshman year was not his best socially, but he rebounded, found new friends after that in a new environment and all is well. (and he has never been to a club and most of his friends haven’t either, so those types of students do exist)</p>

<p>Honestly, I’d say do whatever you believe would benefit you in your future. If you believe that BC would provide you with a better education in your field of study and ultimately get you a better job because they have more connections in the northeast (which they do), then I’d say go with your gut feeling. But only if your parents are okay with shelling out the extra money.</p>

<p>thanks for your advice, both of you, appreciate it</p>