University of Miami / Boston College

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p>I have narrowed my college decision between Miami and BC and I was just wanted some opinions/advice about the school/s and guidance with my final decision. I would be majoring in the business school at both universities (and probably double major).</p>

<p>Miami offered me a 24k a year scholarship and would be about 30k cheaper than BC after 4 years. I do plan on attending law school so the money does have an influence on my decision. I toured BC and liked it and will be touring Miami next week. Obviously, I won't make the decision until I visit Miami; however, I do see myself liking the city of Miami and being in Florida more than Boston. I'm much more fond of the south's climate/beach atmosphere than the northeast weather and snow (I'm from NY).</p>

<p>I know some people who went to BC and loved it, but I don't know anyone who attended UM. Both schools are good academically, but I feel a little apprehensive about passing up the opportunity of getting a business (specifically Finance) degree from BC to go to Miami. I recognize that Miami is a great private school with rising academics (I believe it was ranked in the top 50 universities by US News), but I feel like BC may be more prestigious. Everyone I know from BC has a well-paying job and raved about their experiences there.</p>

<p>Basically, if anyone can share their experiences at UM and maybe provide some insight regarding my decision or about the school (such as the career opportunities/job placement at UM, social life, etc.), it would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>My son graduated from Miami 1 1/2 years ago and I attended BC many years - some snarky types might say decades - ago.</p>

<p>I’ll give you my standard “Which B-School should I go to?” answer and then add a few points. Where do you want your first job to be after graduation? If it’s Miami/Southern Florida then UM wins because of contacts. If it’s Boston or the Northeast then BC wins hands down. </p>

<p>Normally I don’t go in for rankings and discussion of prestige, but it may affect your decision, so here’s my take. Miami’s academic reputation has always been strong in Marine Sciences, Architecture and Music; the other schools have been undergoing a steady climb. Conversely BC and especially it’s business school have had a strong reputation for a number of years now. On average, outside of the programs I highlighted, BC’s academic entrance statistics are higher than Miami’s with the b-school being especially difficult to get into. Fairly or not, within business BC will be considered the better school.</p>

<p>If you’re unsure about where you want to start your career contact the career placement center at both schools and research the companies that recruit at both campuses, the average starting salaries (specifically for Finance) and the percentage of students having jobs upon graduation. Those differences may or may not help you with your decision.</p>

<p>As for the cost difference, besides the added 4-year $30K expense of attending BC, does one school leave you substantially more debt-burdened than the other? While a higher starting salary is always nice, the benefit is lost if most of the difference goes to monthly college loan payments.</p>

<p>Thank you for your reply.</p>

<p>Honestly, I’d rather go to Miami. I’d much rather live in Florida than in Boston. However, it’s not like I would dislike living in Boston. I’m sure I would enjoy myself at both schools. My main hesitation is passing up attending a top business school (like BC). I recognize that BC has more “prestige” and is more highly regarded than Miami’s business school. If the rankings and recognition of the two schools were the same, I’d easily choose Miami. I’m not discrediting or insulting UM, as it is an excellent business school on the rise, I just don’t want to be foolish by not choosing BC, when it is a relatively affordable and doable option. However, on the other hand, I’m sure some would deem it foolish for choosing a school based upon rankings (though there is more to BC which I like than that).</p>

<p>Miami also being less expensive is helpful. After interest on loans, the 30k gap would probably be widened.</p>

<p>The main question I’m debating is whether I should choose a school that is highly ranked and I would be happy at or a lower ranked (but still highly thought of) business school that I would rather attend in a location which I would prefer to live in. Not to mention, it is cheaper for me, as well.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the advice, vinceh.</p>

<p>Honestly, if you get good grades and do internships/build your resume, you’re going to have no problem getting a job after graduation no matter what school you go to. Your work experience is about 800x more important to a potential employer than the school you went to. I mean, I’m sure it could make a difference if you’re talking some really small, crappy school vs. BC, but Miami vs. BC isn’t that much of a difference. If you visit Miami and think you’ll be happier there, then you should go. I was a journalism major and turned down Syracuse for Miami. While Syracuse has a top-3 J-school, Miami’s is really good too and it really doesn’t make a difference in the long-run.</p>

<p>Basically, just get good internships and work hard and you’ll be fine no matter where you go.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response.</p>

<p>I can agree with what you’re saying for the most part, but the echelon of school definitely has relevance. I’m thinking that if I prefer Miami and would like to live in Florida, that it would be foolish to pass up UM.</p>

<p>Like it or not to most people Miami is a party/reckless football school.
A lot of snickers if you leave the South.</p>

<p>BC on the other hand has more of a solid name.</p>

<p>^ That is pretty much my main concern.</p>

<p>Then just go to BC. It sounds like you made up your mind. Considering the popularity of BC isn’t due all to its academic reputation but because of Doug Flutie and BC football, saying that Miami is a “reckless football school” is entirely ridiculous.</p>

<p>Regardless, BC’s business school is way better, no argument. However, if you aren’t set on business, then give Miami more consideration. Boston isn’t in my opinion a real metropolitan city. The city has its ups and downs but you’ll see a lot more interesting stuff here. And at UMiami you have a lot of options to explore who you want to become rather than fall into the WASP-like paradigm of becoming a businessman or lawyer that these Jesuit New England schools preach.</p>

<p>Actually, I’m leaning towards Miami. If I were to decide today, it would be UM. I don’t view UM as that (I know it’s the #1 school in Florida), but I realize that some (especially outside of the southern region) do. I am set on business and I am strongly considering law, but Miami still has quality business programs. And also I would be considering going more of the entertainment/sports law route. Is it true that Miami undergraduate students have a greater chance of getting into the law school there?</p>

<p>GO TO THE U :))) </p>

<p>FIRST…CONGRATS ON 2 GOOD CHOICES!!</p>

<p>I am of course completely biased because my D1 is there… but she has never been happier. She started out at Frost School of Music which she loved, but she ultimately wanted a broader education. It is a terrific school, and should be recognized for the amazing academic strides it is making, both on and off the athletic fields. My D loved Boston, and wanted to go to BU, but Miami won out in the end for lots of reasons, not least because of the weather :)) You cannot beat the weather…too obvious, right?!! I will say that the social life is booming with tons of opportunities to be involved in lots of different activities. Not to mention studying by the pool and a quick train/bus ride to South Beach on a Sunday afternoon! And don’t let anybody tell you that Miami is more of a party school than other schools; the schools that have no city or town around them can have more of a problem than some of the city schools!!! I think people are just jealous because you are in Miami :)))) </p>

<p>I believe that if you are a strong student with a good attitude and strong work ethic, you will get a good job no matter which school you attend :slight_smile: Work hard, play hard :slight_smile: </p>

<p>GOOD LUCK and let us all know what you decide! GO CANES!!!</p>

<p>(allthat being said, my D2 is looking to apply to BC next year :))) ) go golden eagles…lol</p>

<p>Thanks a lot. I’m hoping once I tour The U on Friday, I’ll be more certain of my decision. I have very high expectations for the school and city. And I’ll definitely let you know what I decide.</p>

<p>I toured Miami this weekend and I’m definitely going there. :)</p>

<p>That tends to be how it is… you’re undecided… then you see the campus… and there is no contest. :slight_smile: I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at UM.</p>

<p>Congrats rk24vsb! </p>

<p>So glad you will be a Cane!</p>

<p>dude. Im in the exact same position as you. wow this is really kind of crazy.
I have BC, UM, and Maryland College Park on my list. 24K at miami etc. I have the same worries as you. People I know are like BC is a great school why wouldn’t you go there. Part of me wants to block out the people, but they are always at the back of my mind.I visited miami this weekend to and loved the school. It seemed like a lot of students had a passion for what they were doing, whether it was clubs, double majors, minors, etc. Im glad to know that you are going to Miami. I’m going to have to make my choice soon.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>And br10pb, I definitely think Miami is the right choice for me. Most people (especially in the northeast) just don’t realize how good of a school academically Miami is. It was the number 1 ranked school in Florida, so it is definitely well-connected. When I talked to a lot of the students at the campus, they all passed up really prestigious schools to go there (like Notre Dame, Georgetown, UCLA, and Villanova and BC like myself). Every student I talked to there absolutely loved the school; though after seeing the campus, how could you not? Most of your hesitation (like mine was) seems to be coming from people just associating the school with its football and party city atmosphere. But the bottom line is that isn’t the truth and the school seems to have a good balance of academics and the social aspect. I toured BC and I liked it, but Miami is definitely more my style and, to me, was more impressive than BC.</p>

<p>Glad you’re coming to The U. Only thing that ****es me off with this school is that people still see it as a party school and just that. It’s pretty solid academically and all my professors know their stuff. Hopefully the perception of The U becomes more academically renown!</p>

<p>My S is making the same decision a year later…between BC and UM. Have you been happy with your choice? Where are the majority of the students from at Miami? We visited both schools last week and he can see himself at both. Friends, peers and strangers all say BC! No one out west (where he’ll utimately like to work) knows Miami and he has to justify the school which is frustrating. It has so much going for it. We know Miami is on the rise and a strong school. The kids seemed on campus seemed bright and focused, but it’s hard to say in a short visit. I He was accepted to the school of Arts/Sciences as a biology major at BC, but isn’t sure what he wants to do upon graduation. He would like to take some business classes too, but the Core at BC may prevent him from doing so and I think it would be difficult to switch into the Carroll School at this point. He was accepted with a partial academic scholarship to Miami where you don’t have to declare your major until the end of sophomore year. I think there may be more flexibility at Miami to explore majors. Oddly enough, I am a BC alum and think he’d do well there too. Weather is not an issue. Just checking in to see how it turned out for you. Many thanks!</p>

<p>

One of the cool things about UM is how very easy it is to switch majors or major in multiple things and still graduate on time. You can easily major across the departments/colleges unlike some schools where you’re ONLY accepted into the Business school or ONLY in the College of Arts and Sciences. It’s really great, IMO, for people to be able to explore different majors especially if they’re unsure what they want to do.</p>

<p>Go to theU</p>

<p>By the time you graduate it will be ranked the same as BC nationally.</p>