University of Miami Business School

<p>I know that all classes are graded on a curve, but I was wondering, would this for the most part help or hurt students? In a class of 25 people, how many would get A's B's C's D's and F's?</p>

<p>I don’t know about the business school, but most biology classes are curved such that ~8-10% get A’s, ~20-30% get Bs, 50-60% get Cs, 5-10% get D’s and around 5% get F’s. If the professors don’t implement this through some sort of equation, they do it by having a pre-set curve at the beginning of the course such that the grades usually fall along this scale.</p>

<p>So, in a class of 25, that would be ~3 with an A, ~6 with a B, ~12 with a C, ~3 with a D, and 1 or two with a F.</p>

<p>The business school works on a grade band. The class average has to be a 3.3 when the professor submits their grades. The professors can decide how they want to distribute the grades as long as they average to around a 3.3 (B/B+ range). Some professors choose to give most people Bs and a couple of other grades, while others decide to distribute grades in a more bell curve manner but it is really up to the professor’s discretion.</p>