University of Miami Class of 2024

@AVic22 My child got the Singer (full tuition). As with the Hammond, this is a merit scholarship. We definitely do not qualify for any financial aid. We did visit the school last summer and took the general admissions tour and tours of RSMAS on Virginia Key with a grad student and on the main campus with a professor.

@jpayne66 we had a similar situation last year my D got the Pres Scholarship. I think it was 25K per year? Uof Miami was her 2nd choice school and she would have still owed way too much money. In the end she went with her 3rd choice and is very happy there. It was not really here choice actually because it was our money and we were the one’s that were going to have to sign for the loan. Good luck with your decision. I am very happy we chose the way we did even though she is one smart cookie my daughter barely made her 3.2 gpa to keep her Presidential scholarship at her current school (she is a BioE). If she lost that at U of Miami she would not have been able to stay! Food for thought.

Hello there,
Did your child even fill out the FafSa and the CSI? What state do you live? My child has received the singer as well and waiting for financial aids decision. Technically, we should not qualify for financial aids if our child decides to go to a public university base on the family income, but Miami is a private one. Our child is not 100% committed, but we are going to the scholarship weekend.
Thanks

Where are you travel from?

@bilardo Yes, we filled out both FAFSA and CSS profile. We filled them out early in the process, so we already got our cost of attendance paperwork, which showed the Singer, FL Bright Futures and the FL EASE grant. No other aid was granted(of course), but we did get the paperwork that broke down the costs. My daughter’s classmate had not filled out her FAFSA and CSS at the time EA decisions were announced and she couldn’t see what money she was awarded until she submitted those financial forms. We live in the FL Panhandle, as far away from Miami as you can get and still be in FL.

@mom517 - keeping her 3.0 GPA is a concern of ours as well. She has always done well and is a hard working student but college can be so different. If she were not able to keep the scholarship it would really put us in a tough spot. Tough decisions. Glad your daughter is happy where she went.

Wow! thank you very much for the info. We were told to send Citizenship proof to the the office of Financial Aids before we get the cost of attendance. We are going early on Friday so we can go to the office of F.A.

We are not too far from you and we are also far from UM too. As a matter of fact we probably visit your area several times for soccer tournament. I used to think that my son was the only one from the Panhandle that is going to UM. He has several options, but University of Miami may be the one.

Thank you very much.

@bilardo - You’re welcome! I have a younger daughter who plays soccer (she’s in high school, too), so we’ve probably been in the same place at the the same time before. ?

Chance Me:
I am a junior.
ACT: 35
GPA unweighted: 4.0
I have taken some honors classes and I am enrolled for AP classes for next year. I have a four year leadership role in my school where I am the producer of a show. I am nervous as I want to major in nursing and it is highly competitive. I also don’t know if I should apply EA or ED.

I would think your odds are really good. My son was accepted to the Nursing and Health Sciences School - Pre-Med Track with a 32 ACT and 3.85 UW GPA. Your stats are obviously better. I would suggest that you visit to show interest. I understand that demonstrated interest is considered in admissions. Best of luck!

Its been a pleasure everyone but D has decided to head to the UK! Its just too expensive. Good luck to everyone - Go Canes!

Chance me :

I was Deferred EA
3.7 UW / 4.1 W GPA
1330 SAT
Legacy Student

Does anybody know if legacy status helps at UM? Not sure if I’ll get in

@sbecker34 I don’t know if legacy helps, but if UM is your top choice I would let them know and explain what you would bring to the University, perhaps what you would be involved in on campus etc.

Could we have a different thread for chance me inquiries?

Does anyone know when and how Stamps finalists are announced? I haven’t seen anything about Stamps at University of Miami or at Tulane.

@AshDurgMusic congrats on getting into MADE! Could you tell me if you applied EA? Just asking because S applied RD for jazz, and I thought we wouldn’t get notified until April 1.

@Newmommy9999 - we just attended Scholarship Weekend. My daughter asked an admissions rep if any Stamps scholarships had been awarded yet. The admissions rep said they are still in talks with Stamps about the funding, so no Stamps scholarships have been awarded at this time.

when does RD come out?

We just made it home from the scholarship weekend too. What do you think about it?

@bilardo - we thought it was great! We got a lot of good info from the marine and atmospheric sciences department. We were also able to meet up with a current Miami sophomore who attended the same high school as my daughter does and she was able to give us her opinions on the school (she loves it). Miami feels like a good fit for my daughter. How about you guys?