University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Just don’t click submit!!! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, instead of Jazz Studies I might put my kid in Business Analytics. He’d never forgive me.

And… if you don’t you might never forgive yourself. :crazy_face:

:crazy_face: OK, I’ll take a joke. But seriously, I’m not going anywhere near it. (Unrelated note, I grew up in NJ and miss it there now that I’m on the other side of the country).

Hi there! Is it correct that my kid won’t know about scholarships and aid until March, even if they’re admitted tomorrow?

I applied to a major that less than 1% of UMiami students have, will that help, or does it not really matter?

1 Like

I don’t know if Miami admits by major, or by college, or if admission standards are university wide. After some searching, I couldn’t find an answer. In fact for many schools I can’t find that answer and only learn after someone with expertise on the school reveals such information in some forum, like here.

It would be nice if schools posted such information clearly.

However, it is common for universities to have separate admissions requirements for different colleges or majors within the university. Some colleges or majors may have higher admission standards or require additional materials for application.

If that is the case with your major, it appears to suggest it might help.

But to get a definitive answer, reach out to the admissions office for more information on the specific program you are interested in.

2 Likes

You have to dig but it is in the website in the faq. Only the schools like frost and some of the specific BFAs admit directed into the program based on your audition. They do not admit by major. However if you list a major or unknown your letter will welcome study the major at the appropriate school. Stating this you can change majors and can also switch schools. Plus at least art and sciences have the cognate program so there you find people with lots of majors that seemingly have no connections. So in other words, unless it is one of the audition only you can get into UM undecided.

I applied to the school of education and human development, idk if that has a different criteria?

What do you think EA acceptance rate will be?

1 Like

A student finds out their scholarship and financial aid with acceptance, so today you will know.

2 Likes

Your major does not really play a factor into decisions as we are direct admit which means once admitted you can change your major easily and even between schools.

Record Low

2 Likes

Best of luck to everyone today, remember that decisions do not define you at all and what is meant to happen truly will. Also if deferred do not think you will not get in as deferred students still have just as good of a chance as those who applied RD and you can still get merit scholarships starting with presidential if deferred and later admitted RD. It is a stressful time but just remember it is meant to be fun so celebrate the highs and learn from the lows!

6 Likes

the number of total seats (across US) and the number of total applicants are still the same. with too many people applying to multiple colleges (test optional and easy application process), do you think that come May 1, many candidates will be picked from the waitlist, as multiple students will have multiple offers?

I understand frost is different. Can one be deferred from Frost but admitted to Miami if a second choice major was indicated?

1 Like

I wonder the same now. I assumed it was frost or a complete no. The music school may be different.

1 Like

The fact that a large number of EA frost applicants are deferred makes me wonder what happens to a strong academic yet musical applicant:)

Do you mean a student who meets the academic criteria but doesn’t get into the music school? I can’t remember if for Frost there was an option to name a second choice major. A few schools where music is within a larger university asked for that.

I don’t know the reasoning behind deferring a lot of people.

3 Likes

The student could also be admitted under their second choice major if they were not granted admission to Frost. So the admission letter would reflect the second choice major - not Frost.