University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

D23 accepted EA — to our great surprise and delight

• Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (Marine Biology & Ecology)

• Zero scholarship/financial aid, which is a somewhat less delightful surprise (thanks for all of the insights into the hidden costs/logistics of attending Miami @shynook11)

• SAT 1430 (submitted)

• 4.65 GPA (3.8 UW)

• No class ranking, but rigorous course load in a top 10 public high school (MA)

• Outstanding essays, great LORs, decent (but not crazy) ECs

• Moderate demonstrated interest; weren’t able to actually visit until early Jan (when there were no official tours… wowed by the campus regardless)

• Also admitted EA at Macalester and UVM; deferred at Richmond; with a bunch of RDs still floating out there (menacingly? enticingly? tbd) in the late March ether…

rejected:(

Accepted, EA. We got Prez award, but they said they didn’t receive FAFSA and CSS and wanted me to upload again.But I logged in to my CSS , and it shows that it was submitted Last October (That’s when I filed). Has anyone got this as well ? Is it a glitch ?

Accepted 40K scholarship Herbert Business. 1500 SAT 3.7 African Male

3 Likes

mine was accepted last year and had 20K+ in grants and a huge endowment scholarship. These do not increase when COA increases. For example the published COA for 23-24 is 10K more than 22-23.

A question: Is the latest Common Data Set information currently on the Miami website reflective of the admission cycle or the attendance cycle? In other words, if it says for 2021-2022 that would be for students who are currently sophomores?

2 Likes

My son thinks Frost merit comes later, but I have no idea. Wondering if the UMiami ambassador is able to clarify? Thanks!

Yes - reflects current sophomores.

1 Like

The $10k jump in COA is largely attributable to the fact that they finally included Lakeside Village in the housing cost average. Lakeside is considerably more expensive than the other on-campus housing options, so it dramatically increased the COA. If you throw out that one-time time quirk, COA costs have risen about 2-4% per year. But as others have said, for students moving off campus, the apartment rental prices in the Coral Gables area have been increasing by double digit percentages the last 2-3 years.

2 Likes

Any faculty children here? Talking to other faculty, all their kids were deferred. Most kids with stats at or above the median, many accepted at much more selective universities. What’s up with that? The easy answer is that UM wants to save the spot for a paying kid, but in the medical school we get tuition reimbursement at any other university. Cash reimbursement, not “virtually” as in tuition remission when they stay at UM.

2 Likes

Have you heard from other faculties whose kids were also deferred even with very good stats? Have you heard of faculty kids who were accepted. Everyone I heard from so far has been deferred.

1 Like

My husband is on med school faculty too. This year we don’t have an applicant but last year indeed our daughter was deferred EA with the option to defer to ED2 or RD. My husband was not pleased at all. As it was she got into Case Western ED2 the next day and is there. All her friends that were faculty kids and applied ED got in. We think that with the influx of applications since Covid and the test optional thing that faculty kids ED in. The others deferred. We think that all in all they would get in eventually with RD but from our end don’t know. She is elsewhere.

In 2020 (PreCovid) our son got in during the EA round and everyone we knew that had a faculty kid try also got in ED or EA. He however went to his ED2 (he was a Posse finalist so that was he ED) of Emory.

Oh and yes the tuition remission thing is wonderful. It’s nice paying out tuition to Emory and Case Western and then getting it back.

1 Like

Deferred. Got in to 1st choice in-state U the same day for 1/5 the cost though so good weekend at our house.

2 Likes

Can you share scholarship info?

1 Like

i got deferred, if i get in RD is it still possible to get any scholarships?

1 Like

Does Miami accept deferral letters of continued interest?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean - my son was deferred from EA. He was given 3 choices in his portal - withdraw, switch to EDII, Continue Interest into RD.

I’d like to know the same regarding Frost. We were not offered the EDII option, perhaps because we require FA?

2 Likes

I mean, is UM okay with me emailing my regional admissions counselor with information such as continued interest, recent achievements since applying, and any other information I wanted to mention?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here can definitively answer that for you - maybe @UMiami_Ambassador1. My take on it though is that if you elected the option for continued interest to RD, you’ve told them “I’m still interested”. They’ll now get a mid-year copy of your transcript from school. Beyond that unless you have a substantial recent achievement I wouldn’t bother sending anything to the counselor. They’re getting well over 40K applications, they can’t then manage thousands of email messages with “new information”.

2 Likes