University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My DS did that. He has been in constant contact with his AO and he updated her when he got deferred from ED to EA.

Not sure I would do calculations based on responses into a forum like this. Looking at last years numbers:

ED Apps - 1,511, accepted 978 - 65%
EA Apps - 22,982, accepted 6,185 - 27%
RD Apps - 17,751, accepted 4,873 - 28%

What’s not clear in the reported numbers is if an EA gets deferred to RD, is it then considered a RD App? I would think so sine you’re then measuring the deferrals against the RD apps. Just like I would think if the EA app was deferred and they elected ED, it should be considered in the 1,511. I could certainly be wrong though - but in any case I would not declare a deferral as equivalent to a rejection.

Almost every college is breaking records on the numbers of applications. Some of the deferrals can certainly be their inability to get to them in the EA round and giving additional time to review.

2 Likes

Those are actually 2020-2021 application period numbers, which is the 2021-2022 school year that the CDS refers to. They haven’t published last year but the acceptance rate overall last year was 19%. That will come out in the 2022-2023 CDS which refers to the 2021-2022 application period.

Apologies - you’re right - I should have said “the most recent published data set”. In any case nothing I have seen suggests that the RD pool acceptance rate is substantially different than EA at Miami - even if you go back several years of data. EA gets you - potentially - an earlier answer but the perception that it boosts your chances I believe is false.

1 Like

Hi all, I know a lot of Frost applicants have questions about merit scholarships and so I am trying to get more information for all of you as their financial aid is slightly different compared to the other academic colleges. I will update on here when I get more specific information!

1 Like

I do want to say congratulations to all that were admitted! Every year it gets harder and harder to get in, and I know some you are of course disappointed in the results but if deferred I promise there is still a chance for acceptance to RD. As well to answer other questions, yes
you can certainly still get the same scholarships in RD as in EA. Every scholarship is available except premier scholarships.

4 Likes

If you were deferred please be sure to do one of two things! If you are no longer interested in attending the university or have received an offer elsewhere please please please tell us so that we can give others a better chance. On the other hand, if you remain interested in UM tell us by selected one of two options either ED 2 or RD. ED 2 comes out in roughly 3 weeks while RD comes out April 1. Also, if there have been any major accomplishments since applying, let us know by emailing your AO. However, do not feel pressured to do so what so ever.

1 Like

IMPORTANT: Frost students merit based scholarships will come out at a later date closer to end of March, beginning of April! I hope this helps.

1 Like

Does this include if you were deferred from ED1? Is it possible to request ED2? I dont’ think that was one our choices.

Yes, it is 100% possible to select ED 2 if deferred!

1 Like

I had an issue with my financial aid and will be submitting my IDOC documents tomorrow. Will my aid be limited? Is there still a chance of getting higher than a 28k grant?

For EDII applicants, what are the possible results we may receive? Is there a chance of deferral, or is it waitlisted instead?

Can an applicant get deferred twice (e.g., deferred from EA and deferred from ED2?)?

This is super helpful, thanks so much!

You can’t switch to ed2 after being deferred from ed1

1 Like

My son applied Early Action. We doubled check on his common app and it said Early Action. But on the portal it says Regular Decision. Has this happen to anyone else? Why would this happen?

At UMiami? No
 at Penn State yes. Even though we applied before deadline not everything was submitted from organizations by deadline so kicked to RD.

Thank you.

1 Like

For clarification, you can only select ED 2 if deferred from EA not ED 1. I missed that you had applied ED 1, my apologies.

1 Like

Hello, can you send me a private message with student’s name so I can look into this for you and see if there is anything I can do on my end.