University of Miami Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Can an applicant get deferred twice (e.g., deferred from EA and, after electing ED2, deferred from ED2)?

You can only get deferred once. There is no deferral from ED 2.

1 Like

Thank you. So would the decisions from ED2 for a deferred EA candidate be either acceptance or denial, or is waitlist an option?

I know my guidance department sent in extra letters of recommendation and 1st quarter grades but I dont see it listed on my portal. How do I know that they have them in my file?

Thank you. Sent.

1 Like

@UMiami_Ambassador1 my family member applied EA and her decision was not released in the portal last Friday, we are still waiting. Is this common? Did this happen to other folks? Thanks so much for your help.

Son also accepted to HPM program. Neuroscience major. In process of getting info about it. Waiting to hear from ivies and few other schools but this program looks amazing!

I didn’t know about this program. Looks like a great path for your son!

do we need to have any hooks to be invited to HPM programs?

1 Like

yes I did!! biomedical engineering (pre med track)

1 Like

Does anyone know when ED2 results were released last year? I know the timing is late Feb but curious if there has been more specific timing historically. Thanks!

Our daughter was deferred from EA and has decided to go EDII (fingers crossed). Question for anyone with experience, but based on estimates received from the net price calculator, how accurate have people found those estimates to be, based on the actual merit/grant(s) received?

Every college is a little different in terms of commitment to meeting EFC but it can be one of the few things that can get you out of an ED commitment. If your EFC is $40K and they only get you to $60K - “sorry, too expensive - if you can’t meet me at $40K, kid can’t come”. That doesn’t mean getting you there w/o loans though. I wouldn’t expect they’re going to get you much, if at all, below your EFC.

2 Likes

My son was deferred, too. From what I understand, UM uses the CSS and the FAFSA together to calculate their estimation of your need. If they meet 100% of need, it still depends on what they decide your need is. I could be wrong. Perhaps @UMiami_Ambassador1 could say for sure. I would not rely heavily on a net price calculator, because those have no way to input the above calculations.

My concern is that UM only meets need for first-year, and their definition of “need” is institutionally formulated. For instance, they determined our need to be $11k higher than the FAFSA EFC- probably due to home equity in California. It was a competitive offer for year one, but I’m really worried about years 2-4, especially, if the price goes up 10% each year (or was last year’s jump in tuition & housing an anomaly). We got a lot of aid for year 1 because we’ll have 2 in college. But, in years 2-4, we’ll only have one in college. So, I have no idea what they would give us, if anything, because UM doesn’t guarantee to meet need after first year

We will definitely have to meet with the FA Office to figure this out.

2 Likes

I think last year’s total cost of attendance jump is an anomaly. The bump was largely attributable to the increase in the average housing cost. That bump resulted in large part because UM finally included the Lakeside Village dorms into the average housing cost calculation. Those rooms are much more expensive than other on-campus housing options. At the same time, UM took two of the lower cost freshman towers out of their housing inventory because of the Centennial Village construction. So they removed a significant chunk of lower cost housing inventory while including a new large chunk of higher cost inventory.

The tuition bump is typically 3-4 percent annually, which is consistent with most other private colleges.

2 Likes

Anyone else notice that lack of decision announcements for ED2 in previous years?

Perhaps someone can clarify merit award at UM and tuition benefit. S23 received the Pres. Award and in the award letter it makes a note that if there is a tuition benefit or tuition remission (not sure what that specifically means), then he may not receive the merit award. It isnt clear if all of it would be unawarded or partial. Son has tuition benefit from dad’s employer (university faculty at another school). It doesnt cover COA-but does cover 1/2 tuition. This thread is very informative and wondering whether the ambassador or other can clarify to the best of ability.TIA

1 Like

What do you mean?

I think I can answer it. My husband is on UM faculty. If our children had chosen UM their tuition was zero. They did not qualify for UM merit because tuition already covered.

My children however chose Emory and Case Western. My husband has tuition remission from UM for these schools. We pay tuition and then get back the tuition we paid up to the cost of what would have been UMs tuition and then we pay taxes. Both schools tuition is this fully covered by this remission of money. One is simply a very similar cost so we pay and then UM gives it back. The other gave my daughter merit money to bring the cost of tuition there below that of UM. So we pay out part and again UM gives it back.

What UM is saying is that if the benefit your husband has is used towards tuition (as hopefully you will) the amount of the scholarship will be lowered to reflect this benefit. Not sure if I wrote that clearly but hopefully it made sense.

2 Likes