University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Word on the street is 55k EA… Crazy… Going to be lots of people reaching. Seems like all schools apps are up.

I can see them doing some rejecting but they probably won’t till the next wave. Gotta be kinda hard for these schools comparing kids with great scores vs kids that couldn’t take the tests… They need time for that.

I don’t recall UMich coming out and saying this before. Interesting. I have 1 month to work on my D21 to submit RD. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

They’ve always said that they don’t give EA preference it is simply to find out your decision earlier.

Disagree. I’ve not seen it written or heard of it.

The CDS states that UMich considers “demonstrated interest.” An applicant who submits their application 3 months early (old 11/1 EA deadline versus 2/1 RD deadline) IMO, has shown more interest in attending the university than someone who has taken an extra 3 months to submit theirs.

However, if you can point me to an archived UMich link where they state that deferred EA candidates, considered in the RD applicant pool, are equal to a 2/1 RD applicant, then please post.

Certainly that wasn’t the case in the 2017-2018 admissions cycle.

Here is what they say about this year’s EA process vs RD.

" What is Early Action and will an application for Early Action be reviewed differently than an application submitted under Regular Decision?

The chief advantage of Early Action (EA) is that it provides you with a guaranteed decision date. For many students, this enables better planning. You do not have to apply EA, but this approach may suit your needs by providing you with a decision in the early part of the calendar year. It’s a great option if Michigan is one of your top choice schools. There are, however, a few aspects of the EA process to be aware of before you apply.

• Early Action is for first-year applicants applying for the fall term.
  • The School of Music, Theatre & Dance and the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning are both exempt from the Early Action decision date because of audition/interview and portfolio processes.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admissions promises no special privileges to Early Action candidates, such as giving your application materials a higher priority or a more lenient review. Choosing to apply through Early Action does not make it easier or harder to gain admission to U-M; it is merely a way to get your decision more quickly.

You must be able to meet the November 15th deadline. This means having all pieces of your application submitted electronically or postmarked by this date. If you are planning on ordering electronic test results to be sent to the U-M, you will need to order these well in advance; more information about submitting test results is available here. We must also receive the School Report/Counselor Recommendation and the Teacher Evaluation/Academic Recommendation by the deadline. Early Action decisions will be released no later than the end of January 2021.

Because our decision is non-binding, you are still permitted to apply to and enroll at other schools that use an early admissions program such as Early Action or Early Decision. Depending on the other school’s requirements, you may be required to attend their school if admitted and cancel your application to the University of Michigan."

I can’t speak for past years but as the above user said that is published on their website, and I have also spoken to an AO personally last year (pre-covid) about it as well as attended a umich webinar where it was stated. EA does not increase admissions chances.

“It’s a great option if Michigan is one of your top choice schools”.

Reading between the lines here but this shows demonstrated interest. Plus if you apply EA it gives you 2 chances to have your application looked at vs 1. So that helps your chances. If you don’t make it EA you can be deferred so they can see your first semester /midterm grades. That increases your chances. If you go RD, you are either accepted, denied or wait listed. Except accepted the other 2 don’t increase your chances.

1 Like

Yes, it’s NOW published on their website. And the reason why I noted the difference in my first post on the subject.

That wasn’t the case in prior years. We had that same question asked many times over the years on these UMich EA threads. Also, unless it’s in writing then it’s not an official policy. But it’s posted now. Hence, my surprise.

Unfortunately I don’t have the stats here in front of me, in the past, roughly 20,000 of the 65,000 apps (30%) we’re submitted 2/1 RD. And while the sample size here on CC is very small, 2/1 RD acceptances didn’t represent 30% or even close to 30% of the total acceptances in the 2/1, 3/1 or 4/1 “waves.” The overwhelming majority of the acceptances in RD were from those applicants waiting since their EA deferral.

Alright well I was telling you the info I had from verified people at the University as well as what was found on the website because that is the info I was told, there’s no need to get hostile about it. In your original comment you did not state previous years, you simply said “before” which does not imply anything earlier than this year. All I know is stuff from this year because this is the year I am applying, and I did say that. I apologize if I said something out of line but I also did not state anything untrue.

Well, they do ask on the Common App if you visited and what date if you did! I do not remember if they asked my other kids that question but I can always dig up their applications to look. I may check that out later.

I also wonder how they’re going to consider full paying students or not if that’s even relevant. Last time we checked financial aid, this time we didn’t since we knew with the CSS we were not going to get squat so wasn’t wasting my time this go around.

My post doesn’t imply prior years? Really? :roll_eyes:

“Alright well I was telling you the info I had from verified people at the University as well as what was found on the website because that is the info I was told, there’s no need to get hostile about it. In your original comment you did not state previous years, you simply said “before” which does not imply anything earlier than this year. All I know is stuff from this year because this is the year I am applying, and I did say that. I apologize if I said something out of line but I also did not state anything untrue.”

First, I’m not being hostile, but I’m trying to pass along good info. In your earlier post, you said UMich has “always” given no preference to deferred EA (over 2/1 RD candidates. Well, as you now admit, you’re only talking about the Class of 2025.

Let’s move on. We can round and round on this one.

1 Like

When I said “always” I meant this cycle, sorry if it wasn’t clear at the time. I didn’t just “now admit”, as if I had made a mistake and been caught in the act or something, but I did wrongly assume it was clear that we were talking about this round of admissions.

This was a misunderstanding on both our ends, point being that this year it has been stated that EA does not increase chances although it might through demonstrated interest and a second look at deferred apps.

1 Like

Does being a legacy give prospective students an advantage in the application process? Both of my parents went to the University of Michigan, and I was wondering if it would help me in any way.

The CDS states that an “alumni relation” is considered.

Then, there’s a statement (and FAQ) from a UMich representative that essentially says it doesn’t factor in the admissions decision, but does help them estimate yield after the fact.

So, maybe it helps a little.

I do know there have been several CC members over the years who were double legacies and didn’t get an acceptance.

1 Like

It can definitely help in showing demonstrated interest, which is something UM considers as part of his holistic review.

1 Like

You would think it must since on the app they do ask if your parent or grandparent attended and when. We always laugh when my kids mark my mother and then it asks if they graduated and we mark no, since she left to be with my dad.

Not sure how heavily they factor it. Our valedictorian was a double legacy and got deferred. Not sure if he ultimately was rejected or chose to go elsewhere before hearing. But people were shocked. I think what may have bit him in the end though is that UM recalculates your GPA by removing all fine arts classes (maybe not for STAMPS) and more heavily weighting your core courses. This kid had heavy Fine Arts, only 2 years of Social Studies and no honors Social Studies so he was more one dimensional than they probably would’ve liked to see.

1 Like

I think in reality being legacy did help. There are a few articles about it and yes mention Michigan. But the last few years and especially last year there were quite a few just on CC that got rejected and many that got deferred… So maybe if you got two equal kids in every way and there was a tipping point… Maybe it would help but I definitely would never count on it.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true that they remove fine arts classes in recalculating the gpa. But if his curriculum didn’t have the # of years of academics they recommend, you’re right, that could have put him at a disadvantage.

https://umich.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2259/~/recalculating-the-gpa-for-first-year-applicants

1 Like

They are saying by late January - hoping earlier

Yes, they do remove the fine arts courses. We sat in an information session and they specifically told us this. Also, if you read what that link says, it even says we review the number of demanding courses separately and during the holistic process review process…

This link reminded me also about the fact that they in addition to unweighting grades they also get rid of plus minuses. I guess that significantly helps someone who has a lot of - grades and really hurts someone who has + grades.

1 Like