University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Ok, we don’t need to argue over it. Yes, the overall rigor and # of demanding courses is a separate consideration.

But in recalculating the gpa, as the link says, “We will convert all students’ GPA to an unweighted 4.0 scale using all classes in 9th through 11th grades, and we use only the absolute value of the grade in the recalculation process (A+ or A or A- = 4.0).” That is accurate and current as of 7/2020.

The method appears to have changed back and forth a couple times. You might be thinking of outdated info/methods. There is a reference here to the way they used to do it (removing fine arts courses from calculation): 'U' to no longer recalculate GPA in admissions process

They look only at core classes. So no A+ in gym class. All grades are A=4,B=3,C=2,D=1…no+/-

Then they look at the rigor of the course selection for your school. My son had Multivariate Calc in Senior year. It wouldn’t be fair to compare this to a school that top math was Calc 1. But was he compared to others in his school. You betcha…

I promise I will shut up after this but I do think you’re conflating recalculating (basically, unweighting) the overall gpa vs. evaluating the curriculum quality/rigor, which are two different aspects.

Yes, they look at rigor and course selection in context of what the high school offers.

• The quality of your curriculum (its solid college preparation, strength of courses, what courses you’ve taken based on what is available in your high school, such as AP, IB, or honors, etc.)

Just stating two facts on what they do. Not comparing anything. Look at the cds for more fun information.

Hmm maybe, but this was at a recent info tour, but no big deal either way. That link you posted though is from 2009, so that is quite outdated so definitely probably not what they’re doing now.

@knowstuff Yep this is exactly what we were told. Core classes only, no PE, no Fine Arts, no Applied Arts. The rest is exactly as you state. Rigor at your school offered, etc.

Not really sure why this is an argument. No one is arguing anything. It just is what it is. Maybe people are just looking at it from different perspectives. Things change can change at any time and this year might be no different.

Interesting about the grade UMich recalculation. It doesn’t seem to hurt CA applicants, since a CA applicant who also applies to the UC’s must have taken at least one year of the arts.

And if they want to graduate high school, then they also need 2 years of PE. Varsity sports helps with the PE requirement of course.

Michigan just doesn’t look at those classes. But to graduate sure. Gotta have them. At my son’s school they also gave PE credit if you joined a sports team. This enables the students to take an additional core subject… So like no one took gym class for 11/12 grade and the teams did fairly good.

Our school it’s required you take PE for 4 years, other than one semester you can take Health instead of PE. If you play a sport you can get a waiver during the sports season only if you are Varsity. You basically end up in a study hall. PE also doesn’t go into your GPA anyway so it’s really nothing big.

I guess my point was once you remove all non-core classes (arts, PE, etc.) from the uwGPA, then that may or may not give one area or some kids with huge amount of AP’s an advantage.

Having to take 1-2 years of arts or 4 years of PE could potentially hurt some UMich applicants. Or not. I don’t care one way or another.

Just musing while we wait for an answer from UMich.

@sushiritto Yep, it is what it is! At this point, it is all out of our kids’ hands, right? Nothing to do but wait (and read CC evidently :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Nope. That’s why there are school profiles for the students. The AO for that school will know what each school requires. Even though my son’s school was the top school that year the kids don’t start taking APs will 11 grade and may have 4-8…by the time they finish. Other schools start AP classes at birth… Lol

1 Like

Hi! What is the easiest school at Umich to get into? I’m assuming LSA but I can’t find a website with the median sat/act scores for specifically LSA.

Here is the median info per the LSA page https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/applytohonors/high-school-students/admitted-student-profile/

Maybe that’s only for Honors but should give you an idea just the same.

Maybe the lowest stats of the schools might be SMTD, but then you have to perform REALLY well in your audition. Kinesiology has lower stat applicants, if you happen to be a recruited athlete. Kidding. :slight_smile:

Of Ross, CoE or LSA, then LSA. According to the 2019-2020 CDS, the overall class uwGPA is 3.9 and the 25/75 SAT scores are 1,340-1,530. Instate versus OOS makes a huge difference too. OOS #’s will skew higher.

Unless I am not understanding they only have a synchronized skating team but one of the best in the country last 10 years… Do they and /or have you been notified for recruitment?

But 15 hours a week for your level seems low. You must be very talented. Many of my dancers /gymnastics kids practice 25-40 week… (very long weekend practices)…

Being oos is always tough and your GPA doesn’t bother me since what your doing.

They have a skate club also. Athletes tend to do better GPA wise once they have their sport /activity. What will you do if you don’t skate at all to fill your time?

Good luck.

But the coach might have some influence especially with your talent

we can only hope.

Hi all, any updated ideas of when ea decisions might be released? I know there is a tentative end of January date, but some had been thinking it might be earlier than that?

Not according to their undergraduate admissions office. They still say late January like 3rd week or so.

2 Likes

Thank you!