University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

We visited Wisconsin and Ann Arbor this summer. We loved the lake setting of Wisconsin so much!

My daughter was accepted to both. She got a full tuition offer at Wisco and expects nothing from Michigan. So, Wisco is the easy choice.

Still waiting on the UCs though…

This sentence confuses me - The Expression of Continued Interest form is NOT required for consideration in our process.

My OOS son was “postponed” and his circumstances have not changed. Of course we can send in mid year grades. It almost sounds like they don’t want you to send one unless something has changed…

First, DO NOT beat yourself up - this is a very tough year for any top 25 school admissions. Between increased applications from kids have nothing to do and all the sqeakers (kids with low scores who apply and hope to sqeak in) aps are up 40-50% at many schools - meaning acceptance is as low as 8-10% for some U of M /COE.

Use the expression as fun way to say why your child should go and what may have not been said in app. Review app and think about weaknesses *every app has some.

All that said, keep moving forward and there are many ways for kids to win.

1 Like

Congrats on the full ride. That’s awesome!

This is great advice. I look at it as another chance for them to learn something positive about your child. In life we all have to make choices. With colleges, I don’t think anything is truly optional. Another way to show interest. You took the time and care enough to write yet another 250 word essay. It’s still a crap shoot with 40 000 or more applications to look at (just estimating,) Good Luck

1 Like

UPROD is pertinent to music students. Why are you assuming every student on this thread has an interest in music? There’s absolutely no need for you to be hostile and belittle students who are already stressed out by claiming that they should know about UPROD even though it that may not be relevant to them at all. It’s great that your daughter was accepted, but you are not using this thread appropriately.

Thank you! It’s not technically a full ride but is full tuition and book stipend. We pay room & board. It’s a great option!!

Still fantastic… Did I tell you I got 1 tuition payment left lol :grin:

I made a mistake with UPROD, and don’t know how to edit it out, it was meant to be UROP, my daughter is not even in Music. As far as hostile, if you look at all the posts, I have tried to be supportive to all the kids on here and offer some advice we were given regarding the specific essay. Any suggestions on how to edit it I am more than willing to.

There is a little like pencil in the lower left. Click on that then edit. UROP is great but not every kid needs to do it. There are soooo many things that make you stand out at Michigan. Students going anywhere just need to get involved in things they are interested in and enjoy. Internships want to see active kids… That is a strong hint.

Just an anecdote- My D applied to UM three cycles ago. She and her school’s val were deferred EA. Both were accepted to their first choice schools a few weeks later. Both decided not to send a LOCI because they wouldn’t have gone to UM if accepted. Both were wait listed by UM in the end.

A friend’s daughter with lower stats, also applying to engineering from our town, sent her LOCI as UM was her very top choice and she was accepted.

IMO, If you are still interested in UM, take the time to send your LOCI with your midterm grades. At least in my limited experience it makes a difference.

5 Likes

Does anyone know what percent of deferred OOS applicants are normally accepted?
Thanks

4 Likes

@NinjaNatsDad and @aksteelfoot I saw that post and didn’t find anything hostile about it at all, but I was going to say that in no way was my son going to write about UPROD because he is not at all interested in the Fine Arts at UM as an Engineering person, lol and was thinking why would it be relevant? Now I get it!

Does anyone know of a Michigan parent group on Facebook to ask questions to…or a thread here? Don’t hate…my daughter is at Ohio State (yes thanksgivings will never be the same) and there is a very active great Facebook group with so much information.

@Knowsstuff Please don’t remind us!! I am just about to make my daughter’s $35k+ second semester payment to her school. I am just happy I moved it out of her 529 before this week! 4 semesters to go after this for her, except next year 3 in college :(!

@momofboiler1 This just happened with us. Many lower stats kids got in from our school and a lot of the higher stats kids did not, including my son. While UM is not his top choice, there may be some interest, he has already sent his first semester grades, has some good things that already happened since he applied and will add the extra stuff to his LOCI. Just more writing!!

I’d like to point that in the past, deferred/postponed applicants have been accepted RD with or without sending a LOCI. Having said that, without question, I’d definitely send a LOCI.

1 Like

There is a great Michigan Parents Facebook group. You have to have paid your child’s deposit to join. I am an alum and a parent of a 2019 grad and a future 2025 grad!

1 Like

You can ask me questions in the meantime and I can try to answer them.

1 Like

Can you please send me the name of the group or instructions to join the group?

It’s called University of Michigan Parents.
You need to be added by someone who is already in the group.
If you give me your name, I can request that they add you.

1 Like