University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Appreciate it, thank you. I’ll try to call sometime this week afterschool when I can

Hey, guys I just had a quick question. Did anyone here participate in the Ross All-Access Weekend Program. It was a program that you had to apply to and the program was sort of like a fly-in program. Do you think participating in this program would increase the chance of getting accepted into Ross or does it make no difference?

unfortunately, orientation is online again this year. I think the fee is about $75.
If I remember correctly from my 2019 Michigan grad, the $300 enrollment deposit gets applied to tuition.

1 Like

Michigan’s goal is to have the strongest class possible matriculate while maintaining the highest yield possible. It’s a delicate balance. Look at the numbers of those just admitted. Consistently high 1400’s on the SAT. The 1500’s will have to wait because Michigan thinks they’re going elsewhere. This happened to at least 10 kids in my son’s 100-person high school class last year as they were all continuously deferred although having 1500+ SAT scores. And Michigan was right, they all went to more “prestigious” schools. But perhaps Michigan would have been seen in a better light had they not strung along top students.

5 Likes

I’ll disagree.

First, while we don’t have numbers, there were plenty of admissions in EA WITHOUT an SAT score.

Second, past threads here are filled with 1500’s being accepted EA or via the deferred route. My own D was accepted EA with a VERY high SAT score.

Michigan’s admissions algorithm and AO obviously do a great job of figuring out who’s coming to Michigan because they take so few off the waitlist.

4 Likes

@NESCACDAD I have to agree with @sushiritto and while my kid has great stats and EC’s etc, for all we know UM thinks his essays suck or something else on his application sucks. As @sushiritto and any other parent that has been through this process before knows, a lot of it is about the essays and a lot of it is just about fit and who is reading your application on any given day. They cannot accept every kid with a 1500 SAT or perfect grades or whatever. The double legacy valedictorian from my daughters class did not get into UM a few years ago. Instead he is thriving at UIUC in their CS program which is higher ranked than UM. For some reason they didn’t find him to be a fit. That’s just how it shook out. Can’t hold a grudge and we can’t be bitter. We can be annoyed, etc. but bottom line, they can’t take all of our outstanding kids.

3 Likes

Have to agree also with @sushiritto… I am helping a few kids and they all were accepted oos with around 1520 Sat and Act - 34 with Unweighted 4.0 or close

So, my D was up at like 5:00 AM this morning trying to buy B1G tournament tickets for Michigan.

D18 was admitted to a few more prestigious colleges, but somehow, Michigan found her name in a “pile” of apps and said this is someone who will wake up Monday morning at 5:00 AM to spend money on Michigan sports. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Agree with you and @sushiritto. My 1500+ twin was accepted early decision and accepted for Ross in first round. I do not believe at all that they don’t admit high stats kids across the board to protect yield. Maybe some of that happens, but, having gone through 3 kids applying to college in past 2 years, it is a numbers game. Every great school has thousands more qualified applicants than they have spots available. It’s just that simple. I remember hearing a long time ago that Harvard/Stanford/Yale/Princeton and several other top schools could fill their entire freshman class each year with valedictorians with perfect SAT/ACT. It’s frustrating. I completely understand that, and when you think your kid should be in and they are not, or they are still waiting, it’s difficult to accept. Last year it was baffling. He got in to some schools for his major immediately, and was deferred, waitlisted or didn’t get preferred major for schools that were not as highly ranked. We don’t know why and we never will, but, for the vast majority of kids, it will work out even if it is not exactly what they thought it would be.

1 Like

That’s something we won’t ever know for sure.
My kid has almost perfect SAT, ACT and perfect SAT subject test scores with UW 4.0 GPA at a very competitive HS in the northeast, with 4 Varsity sports and many many awards and exceptional extracurriculars(international, national). Everyone at the HS thought that the kid will be picked up by Harvard. No, my kid was deferred. And I told my kid, I trust Harvard they know how to build a class. My kid though exceptional didn’t have what they were looking for. Maybe the essays were lacking or something else. Kid was accepted EA at UMich and after attending the invitation only Leadership weekend fell in love with UMich.

4 Likes

I am happy to read your comment. My son is in state, has a 1530, 3.8 UW, tons of IB HL A’s and he still hasn’t heard in the two waves. We have accepted that he may not be what they are looking for as hard as that is to accept. If he does get in, it will be a nice surprise at this point. UIUC is his second choice and he was admitted EA there. I don’t know anything about UIUC so love to hear that someone there loves it so much. This process is tough. Thanks for all the support.

Isn’t it in Indianapolis this year?

Just remember folks, EA decisions were released about 5 weeks late on 1/29, due to the increased number of apps this year and also Covid. We’ve only had one RD wave so far at the end of February, which felt much smaller than typical RD waves of the past.

There’s plenty of time “left on the clock” (sports nut here too) and, I’d posit, several thousand more acceptances to be released.

2 Likes

Yes.

Here’s why I think my theory has some validity (and I am not alone in thinking this). Last year, after my son and several of his high achieving classmates were let in on April 1st, they were all admitted to Ross Business within 24 hours. Now, if these last-minute admits were not be strung out for yield purposes, why were they all immediately let in to highly selective Ross? This is just how Michigan plays the game. They alienate a certain number of top students but I guess they figure it makes sense from a global perspective.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that they also admitted some who applied for RD in that Jan batch as well with the EA applications. Also, this year they said that applying EA didn’t mean you had any advantage as far as getting in, just that you would get your decision sooner, which obviously isn’t true for everyone since so many were postponed but they definitely did things different this year.

2 Likes

They definitely try to protect their yield, however last year a ton of schools were letting more kids in that may not normally would’ve because by April all schools were already closed and they were freaking out about the following year and taking kids off their waiting lists way earlier. That said, UM has always done this because they do want to have a diverse class and wait to hold out to see if some kids are going to ditch and go to an Ivy or to them. I don’t doubt it, but normally for those that really want to go there it often works out or for those that get turned off, they usually have a better option or, don’t want to play the game. I don’t know why any school is worried about their yield, especially in these years, but ultimately there will still be some great stats kids that don’t get accepted and some with somewhat lower stats that will get in because they caught the eye of someone. My son doesn’t care, but I admit the whole process irks me and I’ve expected this from Day 1.

I also feel really bad for those that may not be able to take a spot off a waitlist at the drop of a hat later because of financial reasons. That is a whole other ballgame.

4 Likes

I just checked last year’s thread(s) to make sure.

The major RD waves last year were on: January 31, 2020, February 28, 2020 and March 27, 2020.

The Ross BBA release dates were published and the waves followed the schedule exactly: January 31, 2020, February 28, 2020, March 27, 2020 and April 17, 2020.

So, there were no posts of RD acceptances (or decisions) on 3/31 and there were no Ross acceptances (or decisions) on 4/1.

Decisions are strung out for a lot of reasons, but Ross did admit on three (3) dates prior to 4/1.

1 Like

He may well have been accepted on March 27th (I put 4/1 as an approximation). My recollection is the Ross admit came immediately thereafter but let’s say it was 3 weeks later. That doesn’t discredit my point in any way. My son, and several other classmates, were admitted after several deferrals. He was admitted to the Ivy League and Stanford, as were his deferred classmates, and “somehow” got into Ross as a late RD admit. It’s very obvious what Michigan is doing. If this was on merit, why are all the Ivy and Stanford kids being deferred several times? Does Michigan somehow know something that none of the other schools do? I’m just reporting this so that families are not discouraged by Michigan obviously stringing out highly qualified kids. This doesn’t lessen the achievement of the other kids being admitted early.

3 Likes

MyD21 admitted Friday, March 5 to the school of Kinesiology. Deferred EA applicant.

3 Likes