University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Our HS counselor told us that while UM’s LSA acceptance rate averages to be about 25 percent year to year, Kinesiology’s is lower and averages to about a 20 percent acceptance rate.

Though they will never confirm it, the university also saves seats for athletes in various departments, including Kinesiology, so that lowers that acceptance rate to about 18-19 percent. Kines has become really competitive, and is ranked #3 in the country (at last look), FWIW.

For 2020, LSA’s acceptance rate was 27%. But 2020’s LSA acceptance rate may be higher than normal due to increased offers during the Covid pandemic.

In my Post #4832, I mention that recruited athletes do get spots saved for them in the School of Kinesiology. But UMich isn’t unique in this recruited athlete perk. If you’re trying to recruit a 5-star athlete and they want the School of Kinesiology, then they’ll get the Kinesiology spot. D knows two such athletes who attend the School of Kinesiology.

1 Like

I would add that Kinesiology does not want a class full of Jerry McGuires and Arli$$es and their clients. They also want professionals who will work in physical therapy and athletic training, too.

For that matter, Ross does not want an entire class full of investment bankers, either.

The schools want to have major impact on all aspects of society.

3 Likes

@ajketch01 See post #4822 and #4824 above on contacting the AO.

1 Like

There’s even a men’s basketball team member who attends Ross. He doesn’t play that much, but he still puts in the effort!

2 Likes

Yes my daughter wanted to be an athletic trainer but switched to PT. I have more familiarity than I ever hoped to have with the School of Kinesiology lol!

Kinesiology along with Geology/“rocks for jocks” in the old School of Natural Resources used to be the back door way of getting athletes into UM when I attended. Boy, have those times changed!

1 Like

D is taking a class right now with 2 bball players who play major roles on the court.

1/2 of the baseball team a few years back were engineers and think 1/3 of the marching band. Don’t know how these kids play and keep it up. Many at Michigan are all academic athletic students Academic Success Program - University of Michigan Athletics

1 Like

nvm

Certainly has, becoming a Certerfied Athletic Trainer now requires a Master’s Degree. This profession has been seriously misunderstood!!!
It is NOT a personal trainer, requires advanced medical training. Thankfully graduates of the University of Michigan will be recognized as such.

2 Likes

People are talking about yield protection etc. Something to keep in mind is that many schools don’t want to over enroll due to covid. No one can predict the fall. So yes, I think they are being more selective to hit a certain student count and no go that much over it…

3 Likes

This is happening at Virginia Tech. They miscalculated the yield in 2019 (thanks to Mr. Bezos and Amazon’s newly-announced tie-up with VT) so badly that they had to rent out entire hotels for a year to house the additional admittees. They never want to do that again.

As a result, this year there are many more EA/ED deferrals at Virginia Tech than ever before, with kids who were admitted to UVA or UM but deferred at Virginia Tech.

At least VT had the space to build more dorms and the private sector built more apartments. This would be much more difficult to do at UM.

1 Like

Totally agree. Although, I’m not sure that the colleges are being “more selective”. I think applications with common (high) stats are way up at selective schools. (This year, the barriers to entry are lower even for top 1% candidates, i.e. no subject tests etc.) Now you have 3 kids/spot that look the same on paper instead of two. In building its class, UM isn’t going to take 3 kids from suburban Indiana city with 1550 SAT majoring in Poli Sci, when it normally only takes 2. Large state schools are especially vulnerable to this because of their non-binding EA option. When it’s over, I predict the class statistical/academic profile will look the same as 2019.

1 Like

But there are more private sector apartments that have been built and are being built now.

And the university has plans to build more dorms near central campus on a property they purchased a few years ago.

Also Markley is planned to be torn down and the Medical campus is planning to expand there.

Covid slowed things down a bit though.

Partly true, except for the past 3-4 years at least, Michigan has had an issue with under-accepting for some reason and has been taking kids off their waitlist well into the summer even before Covid, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I know when I was in HS UM also had that summer program that if you were borderline they had you come in the summer and if you attained a certain GPA then you were in for the fall. I know as of 2-3 years ago they still had it because I know someone got in that way. Do they still have it even now? If so, then they will also use that not only for $ but for filling more seats.

The summer bridge program is offered for a number of reasons and does not cost anything for the students who participate. It is not a remedial program and is not a test for admission.

Not sure if that’s the same program or not as our high school doesn’t meet the same criteria as stated in the program but nonetheless there are minimum requirements to gain admission afterwards per this article U-M's Summer Bridge Program shows GPA, test scores aren't the only standards for admittance - mlive.com

and there is a cost to it which appears to be about $16k for an OOS student which is what our school is although financial aid is available. The kids at our school are most likely not getting FA. The last kid I know to have gone there is a UM legacy and doesn’t need FA.

The kids I know who have attended are in-state which may explain some differences.

Here is a WSJ article (dated today) on waitlists this year. The title says it all: " Expect College Wait Lists to Be Obnoxiously Long This Year".

https://archive.is/rwthU

1 Like