University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

We were there in late February and still couldn’t see the dorms or library.

1 Like

For boba tea, my D tried Tsaocaa (5871 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217) and loved it when we visited last year. It is in a small district/town near Pitt/CMU, there are several good Asian restaurants nearby as well.

1 Like

Thank you! The boba tea experience could make or break her impression of Pitt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If your daughter decides to commit and is looking for a roommate, she and my boba tea loving daughter might get along. Lol

3 Likes

Hi, I know your post is from a year ago but was wondering about your sons stats? He received such a quick response! Did he end up attending Pitt?

It was from this past fall, actually! He’s still deciding, but leaning elsewhere. His stats are SAT 1420, GPA 3.6 UW / 4.5 W, 6 AP courses (all 4’s so far), many honors level courses, probably above average essay, probably below average ECs. Accepted political science. We are full pay, and no merit was awarded by Pitt. I think applying very early in the cycle (September) helped get a fast reply…

1 Like

Thanks so much - that’s really helpful. My son’s a junior and will be busy this summer trying to get his application in early. Good luck to you and your son and thanks again for your reply :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apply early is the best advice, especially with rolling admissions. A week can make all the difference. Do Early Action where you can.

I have twins and one was 10 for 10 and the other 9 of 10 (got deferred at Northeastern then withdrew application). We were done everything by 10/1.

2 Likes

Yes that’s the way to do it for sure! My son should be ready to apply August 1. It will just be a matter of the high school supplying their info and hope they don’t take too long. Next big question will be whether or not to submit test scores. My son is retaking but has a 29 ACT and 1310 SAT with his first tries.

1 Like

If your son completes the SRAR, the high school doesn’t need to provide anything.

2 Likes

Really? I’m not familiar with SRAR…does that include transcript and teacher recommendations? Thanks so much!

I don’t think you need teacher recommendations for Pitt.

Pitt doesn’t use teacher recommendations and they prefer the SRAR (self-reported academic record) to a transcript.

They took Rex’s this year because they were a TO. Said they would look at anything you send them.

1 Like

That’s true, but I sat in on multiple admissions presentations and they repeatedly said that generally don’t value them much. They said that they are useful after a waitlist or when there is a special circumstance, but in general they expect that a recommendation will be positive and it rarely sways things.

If they have the same philosophy next year, I wouldn’t wait on one unless my student had something that needed to be explained. If they continue to have an uptick in applications I think getting things in earlier will have more value than waiting for the recommendation.

Do any of the current Pitt folks know if there is a priority order to how the college earmarks scholarship (internal and external) and loan money? I called and emailed the financial aid office last Monday but haven’t heard back yet.

We are putting a budget together for 2022-2023 and looking into the AOTC. That credit is available for tuition payments (and books & supplies) but not for room & board. Depending on how the scholarships and loan money is earmarked we might just owe room & board but little (if anything) for tuition next year. Yes, this is a great problem to have, but $2500 is $2500!

When is the UPitt admitted student event day?

My daughter is attending on April 15 but I recall there were several days offered in April.

The website doesn’t list them any more, so I’m not sure if they’re all booked?: Admitted Student Day - Admissions | University of Pittsburgh

I would contact Admissions to see if any are available.

Is there a Pitt Parents’ Facebook group? I only found the one created by “Humans of University” which I’m suspicious of since I’ve read they run lots of college FB groups. Thanks!

Search “Pitt Parents class of 2026”. One of the parents from the 2025 group is just getting it up and going. As kids start making the decision to attend Pitt it will start to get many members. The 2025 page was a huge help for me.

2 Likes