University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

That’s fantastic! She did apply to GW, but won’t be learning of admissions decision since it’s not out until mid-March. She is going to withdraw her aps from her remaining schools with the hopes that others have a shot!

Thank you for your kind words. Best of luck to your son

5 Likes

How did your daughter like the study abroad program in London?

DD22 waitlisted today from main campus. Applied 12/18. 3.8 UW GPA. OOS. Communications.

Oh, she loved it! Had 2 classes, relative field trips, museums, regular London sightseeing, plays, music, trip to Stonehenge. Was 6 weeks in the summer. Lived in a flat in a posh neighborhood with 5 other girls, i think. Most from different American universities.

That’s awesome for your son. If you don’t mind the questions, did he have exceptionally strong extracurriculars? Is he in an underrepresented group? Athlete? Congratulations. That’s an incredible merit award. You must be proud.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there are any additional merit awards for the kids who got into the honors college, or has all the merit been distributed at this point?

The Cathedral of Learning Scholarship is a diversity scholarship if that helps.

1 Like

Trying to catch up on all the posts on here but has anyone heard anything about Chancellors? Also if I already got a significant merit scholarship is that a sign I probably won’t get an interview or do the two have no correlation?

Do you need to be a committed student to be offered an opportunity at the chancellor’s scholarship?

Pretty sure you don’t have to commit before an invite for Chancellors. You have to be admitted to Honors though.

2 Likes

Merit has been distributed by March 1, it is not tied to Honors College.

The dates on the website don’t always hold up but the Cathedral of Learning Scholarships were supposed to go out with all of the University Scholarships (merit) by March 1. Same with notifications for Henderson, Faison, Lavelle, and Davis Scholarship candidates. But who knows. It would be helpful if anyone who received any of these scholarships or invites posted as much in the thread!

I would think they probably have a positive correlation in that people who received max merit and honors admittance are more likely to be interviewed for Chancellor’s. They are separate but related processes. And no, I don’t think the interview invites have gone out yet. My daughter just got the Honors College email last night (two days after the folks on College Confidential said to check the portal).

1 Like

Someone up thread said they were at an event (not sure if in-person or virtual) and the info was the Chancellor’s invites would go out later in the same week as Honors announcements which would be on March 1. Well, honors came out on Feb. 28 and I do think that Chancellor’s will be coming any time now. They need to wrap things up in a timely fashion which means they need to start this process. Stamps and Nordenberg is done, merit scholarships are done. This seems to be the last piece of the merit puzzle for Pitt.

Wow - this is great to read. My daughter was accepted to Pitt and is considering neuroscience (she’s deciding between Pitt and Ohio State).

1 Like

I was wondering about that too! my daughter got a (what appears to be judging from what others have posted) very large merit award, as well as honor college acceptance, and that makes me worry that that all she’s getting, and no chancellor invite :(.

I see different universities doing it one or two ways. At some, you HAVE to have gotten their top tier award (Purdue, and TCU to name two) to be considered for their big full pay scholarships and in some, it seems that if you already got a lot of merit $$ than you don’t get the invite to the big full pay scholarship.

Well, let me tell you that S16 started out at Ohio State (O-H) for neuroscience!!! Yay! He did transfer to Pitt and graduated in December with a B of S in Neuroscience. His transfer had nothing to do with Ohio State. It was best for him at that time to be closer to home. That said, while Pitt’s path paving neuroscience dept is established and top notch, Ohio State’s neuroscience dept is amazing as well. Very diversified at Ohio State. I think Pitt’s is too, but not as clearly spelled out in the PR as Ohio State’s neuroscience dept. is. And Ohio State has special visit programs for accepted students who are Neuro! Loved that. Very great info sharing because of it. Honestly, your child cannot go wrong as far as neuroscience. Cost and fit are the bigger issues, I would think. But National Buckey Scholarship if OOS will make the COA about equal if your child received it. Good luck! Awesome choices.

1 Like

I don’t think that merit disqualifies you from Chancellor’s. Merit is determined by regular admissions, whereas Chancellor’s is via Honors. So that would mean that regular admissions has more say than Honors, and that doesn’t make sense. I just hope that someone on here gets invited and posts about it so I can stop obsessing about it! DD got good merit and into Honors. A Chancellor’s invite would be amazing, but of course I know it’s a long shot!

3 Likes

Just want to point out that it looks as if about 2/3 to 3/4 of the people in the thread accepted to Honors also received merit awards. If we extrapolate that proportion (a dangerous game, but work with me) there were 450 students who received merit awards and Honors admission. With only 50-60 Chancellor’s interviews, even if there is no relationship between the two, there are going to be a whole lot of merit recipients who don’t get Chancellor’s invites.

If my daughter doesn’t get an invite I’m going to assume it was because she wasn’t one of the top 50-60 students the Honors College chose to interview from among a very impressive set of kids, not because she already received merit. Of course, if a bunch of people post in CC about not receiving merit but getting interviews, then I would change that assumption to align with the new data. But on its face, I think a merit award is a positive indicator, not a negative one!

2 Likes

I think that the fact that Pitt does rolling admissions (and basically rolling merit awards too) would point toward there being no correlation between receiving a merit award (or not) and receiving a Chancellor’s invite (or not).

Schools that do not use the rolling system have all of their applicants in front of them at once, allowing them to compare them to each other. Not so with Pitt. Pitt may admit a student in early September and give them a very nice merit award in mid October. They may then receive an equally impressive application at the end of November, but perhaps there is less merit money at that time to be distributed. Or maybe that student is a computer science major and did not receive any merit (which seemed to be a theme in this thread). In any case, if both of those students end up in the Honors College, I would imagine that each would be evaluated on their own academic merit (and any other holistic factors that play into the decision) without regard to the amount of merit money either of them had previously received.

That’s just my two cents worth.

4 Likes

This theory makes sense. As do the two different entities (honors and admissions) being in charge of each decision. Also, they both work favorably toward my kid :wink: so I will go with them! lol!

So wasn’t there someone who was making a chart of acceptance and merit awarded etc? did they want to post it at this time? would really make things interesting :).

2 Likes