University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Yes both, you can go on psmobile.com and look at classes for fall 2023-2024 and see for yourself. Use the very last link which says you don’t have a university account. Make sure to unclick “show open classes only” so you get a feel for class sizes and availability. Also, look closely at what seats are reserved for majors and students in certain schools.

Thank you! Do you mind sharing your daughter’s major?

She’s undecided but taking a lot of Studio Art classes now and those are hard to get into as well. She tried to get into some film classes but couldn’t for fall 2023 They are super small. She’s a rising sophomore. psmobile is a bit clunky but there is lots of info in there. Also, some classes only run in fall or spring etc. so make sure to click on a spring semester to see those film major offerings as well that are semester specific.

Fantastic. Best wishes, and congratulations to her!

There is definitely a subjectivity with distance, how bad the hills are, upper campus, the towers, etc.

I’d encourage anyone wondering hard about distance to use google maps. And seeing where buildings are in person definitely helps.

I’m a big fan of the campus shuttle, too.

2 Likes

The 3 person suites in Bridge on Forbes must be for upperclass housing?

My son just filled out the Housing app and applied for the Music LLC which I believe is in Nordenberg. He’s computer science but plays the viola, guitar, and piano. It’s unfortunate there’s no LLC for computer science so we’re hoping he gets into the Music LLC…

Yes @TheMonaLisa 3 person suites are new for upperclassmen for Bridge on Forbes. I think the Music LLC sounds fun. My S19 lived in the Healthcare LLC and this is where he found his friends and future roommates and I am sure lifelong friends.

Is Bridge on Forbes new construction? At least Pitt is doing something to help meet housing needs…I know of many big schools who can only guarantee housing up to freshman year…

I’m hoping my son finds friends at Pitt. He doesn’t know anyone from his HS going.

Did your son find roommates using RoomSync or did he just let Pitt match him with a roommate based on the preferences he selected on the Housing application?

Bridge on Forbes is newer but not brand new construction. They are privately owned and always sold out for singles and doubles. They are really nice. Pitt and Bridge agreed to open up their 3 BD for campus housing next year for upperclassmen. As a sophomore My S19 went random into the Healthcare LLC and it really worked out. There is an application process in which he had to write several essays and it is GPA specific. His LLC 3 roommates and also the 4 roommates who were next door to him are his close friends. Somehow it worked out.

2 Likes

Bridge on Forbes is about 4 years old. It isn’t Pitt owned at this point, but they have been housing athletes there during the housing shortage and have now reserved blocks for upper class housing.

They have taken over other privately owned buildings in the area, so the idea of them buying it at some point isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am a senior applying to colleges this year. I am just wondering if it’s still realistically possible to apply to Pitt this late in the application process. I have a straight-A GPA, ranked top 10 in my graudating class, 99 percentile SAT, most APs in my school and tons of humanities ECs. I also have several research experiences, leadership roles both in and out of my school, national level academic awards and really decent personal statement. I basically applied only to top 40 colleges and got waitlisted or rejected from them all. I understand applying to college this late sounds absurd but Pitt is like the best college that is technically still accepting applications.

1 Like

Give it a shot! Whaddya have to lose? I thought they were waitlisting everyone at this point, but earlier in April, a poster said their kid had just submitted their SRAR and they were worried about the lateness, and lo and behold, the kid was accepted.
(Of course, that may have been different, in that the kid had an existing application, just an unfinished one.)
But anyway, it’s worth trying.

5 Likes

Someone had posted this previously, -in early May (past years it has been mid-late April), the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) releases its College Openings Update — a list of colleges that still have openings for the coming academic year.
It is nacacnet. org and will be under: college-openings-update

1 Like

Your chances will really depend on what school/major you are applying for. If you are applying for a major that they are trying to grow or one that has small enrollment numbers (for example some of the rehabilitation science majors) your chances will be much higher. If you are trying to get into their engineering, business or even just generic arts and sciences as say a neuroscience major you may have less success. You won’t know until you try.

Go for it! @ERgoddess son just got in. She described him as super high achieving and just finished his srar and got in quickly. Who knows, but it’s worth a shot. Hope it gives you a solid option. Best of luck

Does anyone here have any thoughts on or experience with Pitt’s law guaranteed admissions program? Thanks!

My older daughter received but declined it in 2020. She is attending a different school.

In looking at the offer that at that time, while it was flattering, it wasn’t that much of a guarantee. In 2020 there were GPA and LSAT minimums that she would have had to meet. Our feeling was that if she attended her first choice university, which was a much higher ranked school, and got the same GPA/LSAT, she would likely get at least the promised scholarship (I think it was a chancellor’s scholarship) anyway.

From our decision perspective, it was nice marketing but not anything that would alter her choice.

I don’t have any insight about people who might have pursued it.

1 Like

My D22 got the Law GAP and is a freshman at Pitt. Shed need to hit a 3.6 and I cant remember the LSAT minimum score. The scholarship that comes with these thresholds is very gernerous, averaging $20,000 per each year of law school. D22 is going to see what her LSAT score is, and if high enough, plans on going on the built in interview, and will compare the offer to the offers of other law schools. If it makes sense to go to Pitt Law, she will. If another law school has what shes looking for, then no harm, no foul. I like tge GAP programs because students can walk away from them or take advantage of them.

Thank you for the insight! I also love that it isn’t binding!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and insight!