University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

My d was accepted this morning.

7 Likes

Here is my D23ā€™s timeline below. Her SRAR was linked really quickly and it happened automatically:

Applied through Common App 9/11/22

Set up portal 9/12/22

Completed SRAR 9/12/22 (I forget how I found the link to do this. It was before we received the email to complete it. A couple other schools she is applying to uses it as well, one I didnā€™t know about until it showed up under "My Colleges and Universities on the SRAR)

SRAR linked to app and sent to Pitt 9/13/22

ā€œReceived applicationā€ email received from Pitt 9/15/22 at 12:48 pm

Application moving to review phase/how youā€™ll hear email received 9/15/22 at 2:46 pm (that was quick! Just 2 hours after previous email).

Since she applied to the PA GAP and Iā€™ve heard they require supplemental information because itā€™s a multi-step process, Iā€™m not sure when this will be requested of her. I wonder if she might hear in general about admission first and if she is accepted, THEN it will go on for more review for the GAP. We hope to hear something soon! But it seems that most applicants are seeing the Accept/Decline button around 5-6 weeks after submitting an application, so it may be a while.

@dreambig55 My D18 got the PA GAP her year and will be starting the program in Jan. 2023. 5 students get the PA Gap each year. Once accepted to Pitt, she will be reviewed for GAP. The next step is that they will invite her to apply. There is a personal statement sheā€™ll have to submit and at least 2 letters of recommendation within a tight time frame. Maybe 2 weeks? Then, after reviewing those materials, they will invite 10 students to interview (this is what it was in the spring of 2018. She graduated high school in 2018). Out of the 10 interviewed, 5 get the PA Gap.

The only other Gap Program that is more competitive than the PA one is the Medical School one.

Best of luck. Take it 1 step at a time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great @dreambig55 Good luck with the rest of the process. Mine applied through their web application yesterday and submitted the academic record through SRAR but it says ā€œIncompleteā€ as linking has not happened yet. We have to wait and watch how it goes.

Also, when does the resume need to be submitted? After getting access to the portal?

I am applying for the Medicine GAP. Anyone here on the same boat?

Good luck! The PA GAP program sounds like a great path!

1 Like

Is there Computer Science in the Engineering school? Thought it was in the CIS school.

There is a separate school, the School of Computing and Information (SCI).

Edited since I couldnā€™t deleteā€¦One can do a computer engineering major in the engineering school or computer science in the newer CIS school.

Computers science is not in the engineering school. Computer engineering is.

1 Like

This is not accurate. Pittā€™s Swanson School of Engineering offers an Electrical and Computer Engineering major. Computer Science at Pitt is only available through SCI.

Carnegie Mellon has had a separate CS school since I was a student in the very early 90s, so there is well-established precedent for a separate school.

Thanks - that is what I thought - SCI school (not CIS sorry!) - but def not Engineering.

Anyone hear from social work gap?

Still waiting

Daffny, My oldest graduated in 2019 with a biology major at dietrich which was before school of public health was an option. He had a good experience, was able to balance all the requirements needed to apply to med school (research, volunteering, shadowing, was also a TA). I agree choose the major you are most interested in and just make sure to take all the required classes needed to apply for med school. Best of luck!

1 Like

Did you get the email that it was in review at least?

Definitely feel like at this point we are waiting for a no or mid year transcript request

1 Like

Yes, we got the notice that it went to review on 8/14. We had a separate question that we emailed the regional admissions counselor about around that time as well and they volunteered that his application was in committee at that time as well, so I assume at this point, they are waiting to see other candidates before making a decision or possibly will request to see more grades, etc. Just trying to remain hopeful over here and knowing that whatever the outcome, it will all be ok in the end :slight_smile: .

1 Like

@Collegefall2023 and hopefulmom, to which school are you applying?