University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Mine started to say pending last week and still saying pending

Where are these accept/decline buttons. Mine has had it off to the left under admission status but if you click on it there isn’t anything there.

I think once it says “complete” and not “pending” then you go to the other screen and it will say accept/decline.

1 Like

My D23 who applied 9/11 just got the Accept/Decline buttons after it said “Complete” this afternoon. This morning it was still saying pending. Now to wait and see if she gets info about supplying more materials for the PA GAP.

Here was her timeline:

Applied through Common App 9/11/22

Set up portal 9/12/22

Completed SRAR 9/12/22 (I forget how I found the link to do this. It was before we received the email to complete it. A couple other schools she is applying to uses it as well, one I didn’t know about until it showed up under "My Colleges and Universities on the SRAR)

SRAR linked to app and sent to Pitt 9/13/22

“Received application” email received from Pitt 9/15/22 at 12:48 pm

Application moving to review phase/how you’ll hear email received 9/15/22 at 2:46 pm

1 Like

Did she send her test scores?

No, she went test optional :slight_smile:

1 Like

We visited for a brief, meh, outdoor-only tour last summer. The vintage car show was going on at the same time, so we had a great city experience.
Loved the different neighborhoods!
But we really know little about the school.
If your kid had to distill the five most important things to keep on top of, what would they be? (Like don’t rely on your adviser, or never dorm in X building or always eat at Y cafe - whatever). Best freshman dorm? What meal plan to get? Are skateboards possible? What did she do on weekends? Fun school clubs? Are intramural sports worth it. Theater - do you have to major in it to audition for a role?

I could go on. SO many questions :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

In terms of dorms
it depends! My daughter wanted her own room so she was in Tower C and loved it. The entire floor was single rooms so she had no trouble meeting people. One of the big cafeterias is right below Towers A, B and C so that was very nice. She did club swim for the first year which she also enjoyed. She joined a sorority which I couldn’t believe, but it ended up being a great decision. Her advisor is wonderful and very responsive. I don’t know about skateboards or theatre. The city of Pittsburgh is such a fun place. So many museums, major league sports, concerts, and the food (not the on campus food)!!! Hope that is helpful. H2P

3 Likes

Can you share her stats/major

Thanks so much. My kid loves the single room thing but is also applying to honors; not sure he gets in to that, but if he does, no single rooms there, I believe.

Glad to hear about the adviser!

Yep you were right. Buttons Friday - letter Monday evening.

2 Likes

Sure @cgemaj
D23’s stats:

4.0 UW GPA, 4.42 W GPA
No class rank, but top 5% of class
Will have 4 APs (AP Lit-5, AP Psych-5, taking AP Spanish and AP Bio now), 8 honors classes
Good ECs: 4 years varsity sport (1 yr state champ, 2 yrs state runner-up so far), PT job in off-season/summers, hospital volunteer, relevant medical-related experience, honor societies
Test Optional
OOS
Applied to Physician Assistant GAP with Neuroscience major (still waiting to hear anything about GAP)
Visited Pitt 3/2022

1 Like

Pittsburgh local here and my eldest graduated in 2019. He had a great experience. Stayed at Towers in a living learning floor first year, moved to Bouquet Gardens which is Pitt owned four bed two bath apt for second year, and rented off campus last two years. If deciding to rent off campus, we started looking over a year in advance for the nicer places. Lots to do in the surrounding area. I believe all the museums and public buses are all included with the tuition that you pay. The football team shares the same stadium as the Steelers which can be fun. Also home to the Pittsburgh Pirates who aren’t a good team, but has the prettiest stadium. Pittburgh Penguins also are fun to watch. Great cultural district downtown with lots of musicals and plays. Pittsburgh Zoo and aquarium is nice along with Kennywood, a small amusement park. Great running and biking trails nearby. Does get cold in the winter months and can snow some, so need winter gear. I believe Nordenburg is one of the newer dorms. Honors and athletes I believe are upper campus in Sutherland. Close to lots of hospitals. Great school and great experience. My friends son I believe double majored in chemistry and theatre and had fun performing with them. I don’t know if need to be a theater major. If you are on reddit, there is a r/Pitt group that has info on multiple topics from restaurants to classes to housing etc.

2 Likes

Hope to be a Pitt Mom (again) here. :grinning:

Son graduated CBA in Dec 2021, working as an tax associate at Deloitte in Phila. Passed all 4 CPA exams (Can’t speak highly enough of Pitt Business and how well they prepare the kids)

Daughter is a Junior in A&S, communications and Journalism. Working her Internship and writing her Blog for the Pitt News (Fresh Perspectives
 Check it out)

fresh perspective Archives - The Pitt News

Youngest Son submitted app 8/24. Had to make a few changes to SRAR, but that is confirmed linked to his app. Playing the waiting game as his app is still pending.

H2P

3 Likes

For those of you who are already familiar with Pitt/have kids there already: My daughter has already been accepted into Dietrich and we absolutely loved our visit there but she’s coming from Ohio and is really craving less of a Mid-West more an East Coast feel as far as the student body. Really wants good diversity. She also really loves University of Maryland but we won’t hear from them until later. We are out of state cost for both schools and Maryland is going to cost even more because of the higher tuition and cost of living. My question is do you feel like there’s a high number of kids from East Coast states and a really good representation from Philadelphia rather than more of a rural Pennsylvania/Ohio mix? Also she’s not religious but looking for good connections with other Jewish students just because she’s been such a minority here in Ohio at the high school she’s at. Thanks!

My daughter is a freshman, but we live nearby and I attended Carnegie Mellon so am familiar with the environment.

Here are some statistics from the class of 2024 that should make your daughter comfortable that she won’t feel like she is in the Midwest:

https://www.utimes.pitt.edu/news/deposits-first-year

I couldn’t find more updated information, but I would expect that two years later enrollment is on the same trajectory. My daughter’s roommate is from Ohio, but she is the only person she has mentioned that is. Most people she encounters and has mentioned to me are from New York, eastern Pa, and similar. There are a lot of people from Western Pa who attend, but I don’t think she will get an Ohio/Midwest vibe.

I am not Jewish, so probably not the best judge for that question. I read somewhere that the student population is about 8% Jewish. My daughter hasn’t been there long enough for me to guess whether or not there is an active and supportive Jewish community on campus. Pittsburgh does have a strong Jewish community. Squirrel Hill is the epicenter and it is one neighborhood away from Pitt. When I attended CMU, we also had a very strong and thriving Jewish student body.

My older daughter is at the University of Michigan which has a really active Jewish student community. I don’t think Pitt is at that level, but maybe if you followed Pitt’s Hillel or other student groups on social media, you might be able to get a feel for whether or not your daughter would feel comfortable.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Hasn’t even been that long and I am already feeling impatient lol Its one of my dd top choice, she is applying test optional (didn’t even take the SAT). Would love to hear soon so we can breath lol

2 Likes

Can someone paste a screenshot of what the “accept decline” buttons look like. I see the menu choice of accept decline but i’m not sure what else is supposed to show when one clicks on those words in the menu - if good news is coming

Here ya go

2 Likes