University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Can you, please, share your impression on BioEng at Pitt? My son is considering. Thanks!

My daughter received 5k a year in meritā€“was hoping for more. Unsure if this is low or pretty standard for the business school.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Either way, I wish we could free the $ up for someone else. Itā€™s a great school.

Have any nursing majors heard about merit?

Not yet, my D was accepted in early Oct.

2 Likes

Both of my kids received letters in their portals, dated today, letting them know that they are no longer being considered for the Stamps or Nordenberg scholarships. Still hoping for at least a small merit offer though.

2 Likes

When you get an acceptance/decline button and it allows you to click accept or decline, does that mean you are accepted?

3 Likes

Yes. Check your Document Center for the acceptance letter. Congratulations!

1 Like

Hello, all! Question about AP credit at Pitt. I was able to find the online chart for Pitt (AP Score Information - University of Pittsburgh - Acalog ACMSā„¢) but this doesnā€™t state what is the maximum total amount of AP credits they allow. I wasnā€™t able to find this info. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

1 Like

We got that also. Ah well!

My middle kid came in with 31 credit hours from APs. It looks like they now give AP Spanish credit without taking an additional exam, required by the Pitt Spanish Department (which would have given her 37 credits).

I donā€™t think it is limited - though if a course is required for your major, you may need to re-take the course (effectively not get AP credit).

1 Like

@elanamig Iā€™ve been talking with my daughter, who is a junior in bio-engineering. Program is very strong on research opportunities. Research is required. Co-ops are not required but are also available and most of her friends have done at least one. They have co-op job fairs to make this an easier process. Many co-ops are around Pittsburgh. My daughter got one just north of NYC at a pharmaceutical company for an added adventure. Most of her friends are bio-engineers. They study together constantly. It is definitely not an easy major. But she feels good about the program. Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Same here. Bummer.

Honestly, while of course I think my kid is a rock star, Iā€™m sure heā€™s not in this tiny sample of Pitt applicants. It rolled right off his back, so all is good.

2 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s very helpful! I also read on their page that they now allow 6 month long coops, which is nice. Too bad they donā€™t publish a list of past co-op partners. Would have been nice to get a glimpse of which employers participate.

When we started the application process we were apparently a bit clueless. I thought 2nd in the class, 4.0 GPA, 1540 SAT, NMSF, etc. was phenomenal. I guess there are tons of those. She is also a master at her instrument too. Itā€™s disappointing, but I have come to realize just how many rockstars there are in the world. Other schools seem to want my kid so Iā€™m happy. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

+1
I pushed my kid to complete the essays :frowning:

But okay, only 10 top kids get that scholarship (up to 5 kids get Stamps and another 5 gets Nordenberg)

2 Likes

@elanamig I think this might provide additional information. This is the spring job fair 2023ā€¦

https://www.engineering.pitt.edu/student/programs/coop/job-fair/co-op--internship-job-fair/

It unfortunately doesnā€™t have the employers mentioned. But this is the event.

Also, here are the research projects going on in Bioengineering. There is no shortage of research. My daughter was lucky enough to get paid for her research. Not all research is paid.

https://www.engineering.pitt.edu/departments/bioengineering/people/faculty-research-interests/

1 Like

@Scooby22 you are NOT clueless and those stats are fabulous!! You have an amazing child. Iā€™m sure they will find some great options!!

4 Likes

Ditto! My kid (not PA resident) was invited to apply for Stamps at a different school. He was worn out from apps but seemed excited about applying. We looked at the profiles of the Stamps scholars at that school and decided NOPE! While you canā€™t see their stats, they were just in another league from my kid with their ECs holy cow. He has excellent aid at that school, and at some others, so no biggie. But yeah, there are a lot of impressive kids applying for these awards (including yā€™alls kids).

2 Likes