University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

As I recall last year Auburn has almost a 2x increase in its applications. I expect to see in the next few years other schools have the same increase like UT did this year. Maybe Univ of SC, Ole Miss? Just a guess.

we are waiting for Clemson too! Good luck!

4 Likes

Avoiding covid mandates

6 Likes

With test-optional due to CoVid, that has been a trend across the country. Just for giggles, here NorthEastern and UTK’s published figures from 2019 on:

CDS UTK NEU
22/23 36,290 +21% 91,000 +21%
21/22 29,909 +18% 75,244 +17%
20/21 25,423 +17% 64,459 +4%
19/20 21,764 62,263
3 Likes

Here’s the final stats for 2023 admit rates. Only 33% OOS! That’s a far cry from a safety.

3 Likes

We got the denied, but Vol Collab effort. Anyone else and pros and cons of that program and UT Chattanooga campus, etc?

4 Likes

From the Northeast and not a college ball fan so we were completely taken by surprise on the # of applications that went to UTK. It was on DS list because of the combination of offering a bachelor of architecture degree and having a good music program. Fortunately he was admitted but clearly it could have easily gone the other way.

2 Likes

My son received that too. He is considering that option Chattanooga & Martin Campus. Do you know much about either campus?

2 Likes

no, we are now traveling to Chattanooga spring break to check out UT chat campus. interested.

1 Like

Wow! The statistics are way different than just a year or two ago! My son wants to check out the campus for the first time. Doing an Admitted Student tour in May.

2 Likes

Vaccine requirements

2 Likes

No he only chose waitlist no study abroad or the CC

1 Like

At our private and the nearby public magnet /privates, the increase in Tennessee and other SEC big school apps is because kids are adding more applications in general due to unpredictable results at all ranges of schools. And, the in-state flagships are admitting 10-15% less kids from these schools the past few yrs(particularly affects kids on the “bubble” for the flagships). The big SECs are backup schools for UVA/WM/tech here. The problem is with more apps, even the top kids are instructed to have more backups than just the instate flagships, so the average to above-avg kids who used to get in to these types of schools fairly easily(though rarely got into flagships) now have much more competition from the very top kids at their own school. 3 very popular SEC schools used to never get applicants from the top 10-20% based on naviance from just 4-5 yrs ago. Now they do, and those top kids get in and less of the previously easy-admit above-avg kids do. In all likelihood, none of the top kids will end up attending these schools (they will pick among the T25s they end up getting in RD, or will pick UVA). These schools have not seemed to yield -protect the top kids so far, but I suspect that may start next year.

Same situation for us. Son accepted EA with merit $$ at VT. Waitlisted at UT.
It doesn’t make sense at all. VT was a reach due to OOS and UT was a safety.

Curious what the application type to UT was - EA or RD?

1 Like

He applied EA to UT.

1 Like

Blows my theory out of the water that’s what drove the difference in acceptance! :slight_smile:

My DS (also OOS) exactly opposite result - Accept UT, waitlisted VT. Originally had UT as a safety and VT as a reasonable “target” - interesting application/admissions cycle!

I will say that after visiting both campuses not sure can go wrong with either one.

2 Likes

It’s just a crazy admissions year. I agree that both are great schools!

1 Like

Deferred at both for ours. Got Vol Collab offer (denied), and regular decision now for Tech.

Agree! I believe UT will get deep into the waitlist when a large portion of the admitted students choose to go elsewhere (UVA, UNC, UGA, etc)

4 Likes