University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

same here, all of them are reaches as well so definitely not looking forward to it

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for UW informatics?

1 Like

California schools leaned on international students heavily to close budget gaps. The state had a budget crisis following 2008 recession that resulted in huge cuts in state funding to UC (~20-25%, IIRC). That was offset by sizable tuition increases and 4-5x the OOS/international enrollment. Further, CA allows for in-state tuition after 12 mos of residence in CA, so OOS students helped some, but international helped a lot, as they could not qualify for CA residency. Result? Prior to the 2008 recession, ~5% of UC freshmen enrollees were OOS+Intl
 by 2017, that number was ~21%. This does not mean UC was easy admission for OOS students though. UC looked at this as a 1 yr tuition boost, so they leaned heavily on Intl applications to lock in the higher tuition for 4 or more years. Where is the demand and $ for intl applicants? China, which made up >50% of int’l freshmen for a few years IIRC. During those years, UCs enrolled more freshmen Chinese nationals than OOS freshmen (all other U.S. states combined). That is not to say that the OOS and Intl students weren’t qualified, just that the UC bureaucracy became more about survival as the top public higher ed system than it did about its primary purpose of serving the residents of CA.

3 Likes

I’m leaving the above post about CA schools because it’s a direct reply to another comment but please refrain from further discussions about other states on this thread. Posters are free to start a new thread about public school funding.

Thank you!

6 Likes

That is true. More females also apply than males to UW. But why is UW accepting males at a significantly lower rate (41%) than females (52%) even when this disparity exists? It isn’t because male applicants are less competent. Most colleges accept both genders at the same rate (or sometimes male higher to equal things out).

I understand for CS and engineering females can be accepted at a higher rate since they are underrepresented, but the rest doesn’t make sense.

I think the issue is that you’re assuming they’re doing this intentionally, most unis won’t care until there’s a 20% or more gap, 10 really is negligible all things considered and they probably care about competence more than closing that gap(which they would argue is justified because of the reverse being true for centuries)

3 Likes

There is little evidence that female applicants are that more competent than they have to admit them at a significantly higher rate. Clearly gender is being considered.

Also admit rate is not the same as percentage of students in the UW. The UW has an even larger disparity between males and females in their student body because of this. I have seen no other college with this big of a gap.

The evidence is in the disparity, if they were considering gender to a major impactful degree the difference would be closer to or past the 20% mark, again though a 10% disparity is entirely normal and its similar across many Unis

Oh yeah enrolling is a different story since that’s preferential, is the disparity that much bigger in yield?

Total first-time, first-year men who applied: 22714
Total first-time, first-year women who applied: 29774
Total first-time, first-year men who were admitted: 9469
Total first-time, first-year women who were admitted: 15473

Total undergraduates 12,729 (male) 17,108 (female)

I suppose the lower admission rate for males does offset the lower yield for females, making the composition of the student body about the same as the composition of the application pool.

1 Like

Funny they’re both 42%, sounds like number tampering to me

The funding story also seems somewhat similar amongst many US flagships, UW included. OOS and int’l will likely always help pay the bills. And the debate won’t end any time soon.

As far as UW decisions go
 it does just seem like a waiting game at this point, but a much shorter waiting game now!

Did anyone apply to UW for informatics or do any of you know anyone that did? It is a comparatively new major so I just want to know if anyone knows about what they look for to get into the major.

Good points. So maybe males are actually being favored or treated equally here if most of them are focused on competitive majors compared to females.

does anyone know what kind of stats are frequent for uw psychology admits (pre-sciences)? Also are people chosen based off their intended major when there is not direct to major or are they chosen for the entire pool of for example pre-sciences?

1 Like

What is the minimum gpa requirement for UW general admission? Also, do they look at senior year grades?

UW undergrad enrollment data confirms male focus on STEM. Even without gender admission preference, if this imbalance in enrolled students is reflected in applications as well, that would explain most of the overall acceptance rate disparity. Girls are 50/50 STEM/non-STEM
 boys are 62/38. Given CS and Engineering acceptance rates (and that they are predominantly male), I think that likely explains the majority of the difference (at least at UW).

Thanks to Asian parents (including my own relatives) for creating the idea that daughters go into medical and sons go into engineering. Makes it easier for people actually passionate about their field!