University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

There is no minimum, but for CS/Engineering you should probably have at least a 3.85 and for UW overall maybe a 3.7. Senior grades aren’t considered since they don’t get your transcript until you enroll (they can remove you if your grades fall into unsatisfactory levels though).

More than GPA they really consider course rigor. Did you take a challenging but healthy amount of college level classes and go beyond the high school requirements for each subject area? Taking an extra year of foreign language and more math/science helps. Your grade trend also matters. If your grade dropped since the start of high school, they don’t like this. A person with a 3.9 GPA who mostly got their Bs in their junior year would be disadvantaged over a 3.8 GPA with Bs towards the start of high school.

Your personal statement is a big determiner of your admission in addition to these academic credentials. Some holistic ideas can also matter - which high school you attend, your race/gender/socioeconomic status, your extracurriculars, personality, etc. - especially in high demand majors where they are debating who to offer admission to (between highly qualified candidates).

1 Like

What does the admission look like for Bio OOS historically? Asking because I applied as a Bio OOS major…

Apparently work experience is an “important” factor in UW admissions, which I lack. Hopefully my other factors outweigh this though.

Also, they claim not to consider race/ethnicity, but if you are “first generation” it is an important factor.

Getting anxious for results. Daughter was accepted into the music program pending acceptance to the university. Her sister was accepted two years ago but unsure if things are different this year.
Anyone know what the chances are for acceptance if the music school has accepted her? She’s a 4.3 OOS student. Thanks.

2 Likes

Probably pretty good then. The music has to help. Unweighted GPA + number of APs might be more useful info for determining chances at UW. WA doesn’t do much of the weighting stuff.

My D22 seemed to think all friends who were accepted had 3.9 unweighted or higher and 5+ APs (or other equivalent prep type classes). That was in-state which may give a slight bump. Plenty of exceptions for “holistic” reasons I’m sure.

Thanks. 4.0 uw gpa. 6 AP classes

Hey asking for a friend, if you apply to UW Bothell now (they extended their deadline) would you still have a shot at getting into their CS program? Do they still have space?

I can’t guarantee anything but think it would be worth a shot.

1 Like

University of Washington:
We are all throwing out crazy conspiracy theories and coming up with random data points.
Please put us out of our misery (and kindly admit us/our students).
Thank you,
Parents and Students from College Confidential

8 Likes

My S23 attends a very competitive OOS school that sent about 25 kids to UW last year (50+ were admitted). I’m pretty sure these students met or exceeded those stats, but many also found time to work, volunteer in their communities, start small businesses, care for family members, compete in sports, navigate/advocate for their immigrant parents, etc.

When UW admitted these students, I don’t think they were making “holistic” exceptions. UW recognized that these young adults will no doubt make a positive impact on campus and in society. They are more than their high GPA/#APs.

1 Like

No disagreement. Just said holistic for shorthand. A lot of factors to consider no doubt. Best of luck to your son!

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m done. Check back Thur/Fri night.

1 Like

THIS WAS SENT THIS AFTERNOON TO COLLEGE COUNSELORS…

Decisions are coming! The Admissions team has finished reviewing this year’s 62,000+ freshman applications — another record breaking year — and we look forward to sending most of the decisions March 9–15.

Below you will find a few notes about decisions, as well as some things that are new this year.

All students

• Students will receive an email notifying them that their admission decision has been updated in their MyUW portal. They may log in to MyUW to view their decision.
  • If they haven’t already, students will need to set up their UW NetID in order to log in to MyUW. Note that it may take up to 24 hours to create a new account.

Admitted students

• Admitted students will receive an offer packet in the mail containing an official offer letter with their assigned major or pre-major, possible Purple & Gold scholarship offer (U.S. nonresidents only), as well as other information about taking the next steps to becoming a Husky.
  • Additional information and next steps can be found at uw.edu/newhuskies. You may find this website useful as you counsel your students.

Waitlist students

• Students invited to join the waitlist, must opt in by submitting the online form found in their MyUW portal. The deadline to join the waitlist is April 1.

Denied students

• Application increases make the selection process challenging, and sadly we are not able to offer admission to many strong candidates. If we are unable to extend an offer of admission, students will be notified in their MyUW account and directed to resources.

NEW IN 2023

• Students on the waitlist are no longer eligible to appeal for admission off the waitlist. If a student is not admitted from the waitlist, they may appeal once the waitlist is closed.
  • Students with incomplete applications whose files were closed due to incomplete or missing information may appeal to have their file reopened.
  • More details about our updated freshman appeals policy and process can be found on our website.
7 Likes

Sounds like a very similar profile to my D’s school. Maybe slightly higher % accept. There are usually maybe 10 other top students that go to UC’s and 2-3 that go to some combo of: Ivy, Stanford, Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt or high profile public like UVA or U Mich. Sometimes there is a student or two that might go to Claremont or Pomona.

2 Likes

Best of luck you your son as well!

Is UW notifying in waves ? I know they said the 9-15 which is not normal for them they have always been one and done including waitlists so the multiple day thing is throwing me a bit .

Yes, but the majority of people will receive it on the same day (probably tomorrow or Friday)

Whoa, only 8 admitted off Waitlist in 2022 per WL link above … is this correct?

“We cannot assure admission to any student on the waitlist. The number of students admitted from the waitlist varies greatly from year to year: In 2022, 8 of the 5,347 students on the waitlist were offered admission. In 2021, 631 of the 4,668 students on the waitlist were offered admission. Therefore, we advise you to confirm your intention to enroll at another college or university by May 1 to ensure that you will have an enrollment option this fall.”

■■■

I’m new to this thread (and this forum)! Impatiently waiting to hear news from UW. Has anyone heard anything? I know we should hear between March 9 - 15, just wondering if anyone has seen anything?

1 Like